The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Which is why the ideal situation would be Candle gets the OC spot now, Frost gets an analyst position to rehab his image, familiarize himself with UM, and collect his Nebraska buyout. In two years Candle moves on to a lower level P5 HC position and Frost is ready to jump in as OC. No OC search needed and a smooth transition for once.
I would nut all over the place if that was the way things went down. No pause, no shame.

Advertisement
Agreed. It was my hope when Gattis was speaking because I thought he would adapt his Michigan offense better

Difference is Candle has a track record of doing it

He’s not a **** pick but I think he can be very successful here

I’ll just need @Memnon to tell me if the new OC has one of those hidden playbooks made popular by some of our previous OCs….

Advertisement
I would nut all over the place if that was the way things went down. No pause, no shame.

Happy Well Done GIF by Ansell

Agreed. Which is why the ideal situation would be Candle gets the OC spot now, Frost gets an analyst position to rehab his image, familiarize himself with UM, and collect his Nebraska buyout. In two years Candle moves on to a lower level P5 HC position and Frost is ready to jump in as OC. No OC search needed and a smooth transition for once.

You don’t think frost has suitors now for OC gig?

Advertisement
I notice you keep saying “seal the deal this time” which leads me to believe we missed on one big whale?
No he means that we didn't manage to hire Candle last year when he was ready to take the job ... and bailed when it was confirmed to him that he could not bring any of his own assistants.

Advertisement
Because the people in charge of the school have a very strict set of criteria for who can be a HC here.

They don’t think outside the box, therefore the box is all they’re confined to & the results over a 20 year time-span reflect that.
Taleb’s Platonicity from his book Black Swan is real af. Academics love to convince themselves they know more than they real do, then they love organize it all neatly and then fortify themselves in that limited knowledge like a fort.

You don’t think frost has suitors now for OC gig?

I'm not sure that he does. He may be off some AD's "draft boards" right now because of the off the field red flags. I also think it might complicate his buyout if he takes an on the field position, so unsurprisingly, I'd say the smart money is on analyst if he decides he wants to coach this year. As I've mentioned, I'd love him here in that capacity.

Advertisement
I'm not sure that he does. He may be off some AD's "draft boards" right now because of the off the field red flags. I also think it might complicate his buyout if he takes an on the field position, so unsurprisingly, I'd say the smart money is on analyst if he decides he wants to coach this year. As I've mentioned, I'd love him here in that capacity.
This....

Candle (if he is indeed the guy) would be a solid choice, IMO. I’d prefer Mullen, Littrell, or Frost but after worrying about Mario hiring some of the names being thrown around on social media (Arroyo, Nussmeier, Coley, Peetz, etc) I’d be quite relieved with Candle.

So a middling hire and well, relieved isn't exactly the most inspiring adjective to describe a new hire. I'd characterize it as uninspired. No big time recruit is going to be excited or wowed with the hire. We've waited how long, one would think it would be a big name. Nah, we got the HC from Toledo, who consequently very few would know anything about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back