The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you telling me that Mario is more of a workaholic than heart attack Urban Myer?

The hungry and financially not set for life assistant Dan Mullen of 15 years ago is not the same person that we saw as a wealthy HC down the stretch at UF.

And as for your question, quite possibly! Meyer is just a ***** that couldn't handle the grind, and he also ghosted because, and thanks for the set up, he let recruiting slip.

Advertisement
Candle was my preferred candidate last year, and it would be a success if we landed him. Maybe he's realized he's hit a ceiling at Toledo, and fixing this crappy offense could land him a P5 job.

Much better than Bama landing Rees - who is kinda meh at best.

The way you feel is exactly how I would feel if Arroyo was the choice so I get it. I just think there is enough about Candle’s style of offense and track record to at least give him the benefit of the doubt.
Candle has never had the opportunity to work with good - let alone elite - talent. Toledo recruits in the bottom third each year and I don't think that's a reflection of him - just a reflection of the school, location, and budget they have to work with.

Miami is no where near elite talent level (yet) but I'd be curious to see what Candle can do with talent that is at least in the top third and improving with Mario on the trail. My sense (hope?) is that it would be very, very good. No doubt, infinitely better than what Gattis just did with it.

Advertisement
Just watched those Mac Championship highlights and oufffff was that underwhelming. Felt like their D won them that game.

Offensively I didn't see anyone schemed open in the passing game. A bunch of tightly contested catches on simple routes.

Running game broke a few long ones with some decent sized holes but outside of that.... yikes.

It's just one game and the talent level isn't there obviously... but ya.

The Candle hire is relative to who else is a possibility of being hired...

If it’s between Candle or Arroyo, Coley, Nussi etc, then Candle is the best of that bunch.

Other names like Frosty, Mullen, Littrell etc, are really only speculative because we have no idea if they’re even in consideration or even interested.

We may all expect “better”, but the reality is Candle is probably the best we can do.

View it like a spectrum, with Gattless being on one end & whichever OC you view as the best on the other; as long as we get further away from the Gattless side of the spectrum that’s better than worse case scenario.

Is it ideal? No. Is it what might be preferred given the salary that can paid for the position? Probably not.

Advertisement
One thing to point out with metrics like F+, SOS is going to significantly impact teams like Toledo. If you look at their raw metrics (not opponent adjusted), they’ve had some very good offenses with Candle. 2013-18 they finished top 27 in points/drive every year. They’re being penalized for playing lower level competition, but their own talent level is also on par with those same teams. So I would say it’s really just an even playing field.
Toledo has ranked in the top 23 nationally in yards per carry in 7 of the past 10 years

2013: 7th nationally
2014: 10th
2015: 22nd
2017: 23rd
2018: 19th
2019: 16th
2021: 6th

Plug Mario’s OL in that offense with the top RBs we have and we will manhandle teams.

I encourage those who are unfamiliar with Candle to read the Toledo message board and get their fans’ perspective.

The majority see him as a mediocre to above average head coach whose career has stalled at Toledo. A move to a P5 program is probably in his best interest in terms of career trajectory. Candle is viewed as an ideal candidate for a program that is looking for an offensive coordinator, not a program looking for a new head coach that can also direct an offense. Candle struggles with the latter, but not the former. He is also known as somebody who can identify talent and recruits well on that side of the ball.

With that said, if Candle were to leave they would be split 50/50 on whether that was a good thing for their program. He would be missed by a signficant majority of fans for his offensive chops, but not for his overall performance.

Thankfully, he is being considered as an OC with head coaching experience. I should note that several fans think he lands at ND as their OC.

Last edited:
Candle has never had the opportunity to work with good - let alone elite - talent. Toledo recruits in the bottom third each year and I don't think that's a reflection of him - just a reflection of the school, location, and budget they have to work with.

Miami is no where near elite talent level (yet) but I'd be curious to see what Candle can do with talent that is at least in the top third and improving with Mario on the trail. My sense (hope?) is that it would be very, very good. No doubt, infinitely better than what Gattis just did with it.
Toledo has more talent than the teams in its own conference and fans at the school think the HC underperforms every year.

I wish the guy we got was someone who fans were disappointed to lose.

Fans weren’t really upset to see Gattis or Addae leave either and we know how they’ve done so far.

I will give any coach a fair shake if they’re chosen and take a position with Miami but I really hope we get someone fans are sad to see the guy move on from

Advertisement
He thinks his offense can wax most of the ACC defenses.
@Cryptical Envelopment
Police Im Here GIF by One Chicago

We don’t do that around here. Bad puns don’t fly.

Arresting Under Arrest GIF by ABC Network

Take a few days to think about what you’ve done and how you can improve in the future.
Behind Bars Prison GIF by GritTV

@Dr.L.ThugU Good looking out.

I encourage those who are unfamiliar with Candle to read the Toledo message board and get their fans’ perspective.

The majority see him as a mediocre to above average head coach whose career has stalled at Toledo. A move to a P5 program is probably in his best interest in terms of career trajectory. Candle is viewed as an ideal candidate for a program that is looking for an offensive coordinator, not a program looking for a new head coach that can also direct an offense. Candle struggles with the latter, but not the former. He is also known as somebody who can identify talent and recruits well on that side of the ball.

With that said, if Candle were to leave they would be split 50/50 on whether that was a good thing for their program. He would be missed by a signficant majority of fans for his offensive chops, but not for his overall performance.

Thankfully, he is being considered as an OC with head coaching experience.
I don’t spend a lot of time on Toledo message boards but everything I’ve seen is fans being happy that he might leave. Fans don’t always know and sometimes the mediocre guy is better than the next guy, but I wish we’d poach someone who fans were sad to see leave

The Candle hire is relative to who else is a possibility of being hired...

If it’s between Candle or Arroyo, Coley, Nussi etc, then Candle is the best of that bunch.

Other names like Frosty, Mullen, Littrell etc, are really only speculative because we have no idea if they’re even in consideration or even interested.

We may all expect “better”, but the reality is Candle is probably the best we can do.

View it like a spectrum, with Gattless being on one end & whichever OC you view as the best on the other; as long as we get further away from the Gattless side of the spectrum that’s better than worse case scenario.

Is it ideal? No. Is it what might be preferred given the salary that can paid for the position? Probably not.

And this is exactly why certain posters mock/question the Rolodex, phone ringing off the hook or we can hire **** near anyone we want commentary…

Because either we aren’t interested in the home run hire folks like @SayWhat are looking for or that hire isn’t interested in us…

Advertisement
and hey, if Candle doesn't work out, we can always fire him next year and start again. I like Candle and hope he is the new OC..

One thing to consider if it is Candle. While we talk about the Toledo O's performance and their fans perspective, as the HC his attention does have to be split other places. While being solely OC doesn't change his philosophy or tendencies, it does allow for a more dedicated focus. Even if that means its a 10-20% improvement on his playcalling / scheming abilities, that only can bode better for us and certainly no worse.

Thankfully, he is being considered as an OC with head coaching experience.
Randy Shannon was a good DC bad HC
Dan Mullen is Avg HC but great OC
Manny Diaz good DC bad HC
Scott Frost great OC bad HC

see where I'm going here? Candle would be a great hire but since it's not lincoln Riley or the hottest name is offense this board nitpicking the **** out of him. Spoiled little ******** on here. I'd take him in a heartbeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back