The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we could do a lot worse than Candle, but I’m not jumping for joy if he’s the hire. I’m not wildly impressed by his body of work the past few years.

Mario needed to knock this hire out of the park because we’ve already wasted one year of this rebuild. Recruiting will begin to plummet if we have another lackluster season, so if Candle is indeed the guy, he’s going to have to seriously earn his paycheck.

Why does Mario love candle so much?

Advertisement
Because the people in charge of the school have a very strict set of criteria for who can be a HC here.

They don’t think outside the box, therefore the box is all they’re confined to & the results over a 20 year time-span reflect that.
This worked in the early 2000s, bro!

Candle would be a "fine" choice, but I feel like we should be able to do better. The problem, as others have alluded to, is that I don't think the best-of-the-best offensive minds actually want to come here. Mario doesn't exactly have a reputation for being the easiest to work with, and I don't know what our hiring budget looks like after having to pay JG to fck off. That being said, I wouldn't be too disappointed in Candle, but I also won't be chalking us into the ACCCG next year either. It's a very "meh" hire and Mario needs a homerun to re-instill confidence in his leadership.

Advertisement
Agreed. Which is why the ideal situation would be Candle gets the OC spot now, Frost gets an analyst position to rehab his image, familiarize himself with UM, and collect his Nebraska buyout. In two years Candle moves on to a lower level P5 HC position and Frost is ready to jump in as OC. No OC search needed and a smooth transition for once.
I'd have absolutely no problem with that....

Advertisement
I'll be elated to have la candela on staff. He's an immediate upgrade over Gattis.

#prendelo

Hope Mario makes the best choice. If Candle is holding out for a bigger contract from Toledo I hope he recognizes if he is being strung along or not. Or maybe Candle isn’t even the choice. Who knows

I like Candle because he can meld his scheme to fit the qb. Regardless if it’s TVD or JB. It’s a very flexible offense. Not all OC’s can do that. Hopefully we seal the deal this time.
I notice you keep saying “seal the deal this time” which leads me to believe we missed on one big whale?

Candle would be a "fine" choice, but I feel like we should be able to do better. The problem, as others have alluded to, is that I don't think the best-of-the-best offensive minds actually want to come here. Mario doesn't exactly have a reputation for being the easiest to work with, and I don't know what our hiring budget looks like after having to pay JG to fck off. That being said, I wouldn't be too disappointed in Candle, but I also won't be chalking us into the ACCCG next year either. It's a very "meh" hire and Mario needs a homerun to re-instill confidence in his leadership.
We weren't going to the ACCCG with anyone next yr regardless

Advertisement
I like Candle because he can meld his scheme to fit the qb. Regardless if it’s TVD or JB. It’s a very flexible offense. Not all OC’s can do that. Hopefully we seal the deal this time.
Agreed. It was my hope when Gattis was speaking because I thought he would adapt his Michigan offense better

Difference is Candle has a track record of doing it

He’s not a **** pick but I think he can be very successful here

Advertisement
I’ve heard Candle for a few days, he’s been the clear cut guy. I was referring to him Thursday when I posted about “ negotiations started “. There’s a reason I’ve been laughing at the names being thrown out and calling them” BS“. There’s only a few guys I know have been reached out to and I’ve mentioned or Insinuated two of them in this thread. Imo if it drags out much longer it’ll likely be a repeat of last year. Moving on to the next guy. One thing I‘ve been told is Mario isn’t set on a particular offense, even though most of us don’t buy that.
So are we going to rehire Gattis? 😳😟😬😱😥😰😨😧😦🫢🫣🤯

Just Kidding Lol GIF by SoulPancake

• Love
Reactions: ben
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back