The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Candle and Beard are good, and an upgrade, but Seth Littrell is a stronger choice. Weird to me that his name is totally absent from the convo. Maybe he said go **** yourself behind the sences.
The only thing I can think is he's thinking NFL, a year off, or hold out for a HC position.

Advertisement
Who would you want at wr coach?
I honestly don't know. I'm just concerned that if we don't get a good WR coach with a record of success, we can probably kiss the top end SF WRs goodbye.

Some have said that Candle might coach WR and we'd end up with a QB coach. But that's basically just trading one issue (WR coach) for another (QB coach).

The Candle stuff is a bit befuddling. On one hand, hiring a sitting HC is nothing to sneeze at and clearly Mario's first choice is/was to find an OC that would be CEO of the offense, similar to what Steele is on the defensive side.

On the other hand, it's not like his offenses are tearing up the MAC right now, but maybe that's a talent acquisition issue?

1675539133132.gif

Advertisement
Frost would be the better OC...
Agreed. Which is why the ideal situation would be Candle gets the OC spot now, Frost gets an analyst position to rehab his image, familiarize himself with UM, and collect his Nebraska buyout. In two years Candle moves on to a lower level P5 HC position and Frost is ready to jump in as OC. No OC search needed and a smooth transition for once.

The Candle stuff is a bit befuddling. On one hand, hiring a sitting HC is nothing to sneeze at and clearly Mario's first choice is/was to find an OC that would be CEO of the offense, similar to what Steele is on the defensive side.

On the other hand, it's not like his offenses are tearing up the MAC right now, but maybe that's a talent acquisition issue?
Don’t they usually have the highest rated recruiting classes in the MAC?

Advertisement
Agreed. Which is why the ideal situation would be Candle gets the OC spot now, Frost gets an analyst position to rehab his image, familiarize himself with UM, and collect his Nebraska buyout. In two years Candle moves on to a lower level P5 HC position and Frost is ready to jump in as OC. No OC search needed and a smooth transition for once.
This. Let him prove he’s a changed man and found Jesus lol. Then take over down the road. That’s a Saban type move.

Advertisement
I guess we could do a lot worse than Candle, but I’m not jumping for joy if he’s the hire. I’m not wildly impressed by his body of work the past few years.

Mario needed to knock this hire out of the park because we’ve already wasted one year of this rebuild. Recruiting will begin to plummet if we have another lackluster season, so if Candle is indeed the guy, he’s going to have to seriously earn his paycheck.

I remember the days when Miami was all about innovation and bringing in new ideas and approaches. When did we become the old guy in the club ?
Because the people in charge of the school have a very strict set of criteria for who can be a HC here.

They don’t think outside the box, therefore the box is all they’re confined to & the results over a 20 year time-span reflect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back