The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I think 73.6 % of the board would like the name
I sprinted to the OC poll thread thinking I found a clue. Best I got is if you combine Coley, Mullen and someone else you get 74%.

So maybe it’s a combination of the three.

No my comments about him were not inaccurate and lazy. I said if you are looking for speed, space, and pace he isn't that, and alot of people want that.

He is in the Gattis, Arroyo, Moorhead arena as an OC. I didn't say he was a bad OC, I said I liked the guy. When I say arena I mean stylistically and formation wise. He may be above those other names In terms of coordinating and play calling an offense.

People are going to be disappointed if he was our OC, and first game they see a condensed formation as his sets and formations are similar to the other names.

I disagree. He utilizes the TE, sometimes multiple, but it's not a plodding offense. Check my post on the next page. I think sometimes people mistake physical for slow. He wants to run the ball through your face, but they're not in 13 personnel under center all night.

Advertisement
If mullen and frost are truly off the table we are once again missing on our top targets.
Who says they are "our" top targets? Maybe yours, but you really carry no weight. Mullen already indicated he wouldnt even take the Bama job, and wants to stay in the studio. Frost is full of red flags and question marks. You invent a narrative just so you can whine about it.

I sprinted to the OC poll thread thinking I found a clue. Best I got is if you combine Coley, Mullen and someone else you get 74%.

So maybe it’s a combination of the three.
I searched for a 736 area code to give me a hint lol. Unfortunately it's in Mexico

If mullen and frost are truly off the table we are once again missing on our top targets.
you truly suck, who died and decided you decide who the priorities are?

So if Dan Mullen has no desire to coach anywhere and live an easier life for now on tv, that's a miss? if so **** your bs.

if Miami doesn't want a guy, after Gattis is fired for cause, who is known to have issues of his own, that's a miss? if so again **** your bs.

we have some of the worst on this site. JFC

Advertisement
I think 73.6 % of the board would like the name
I’m just saying

E9BBF5B8-0ADA-456B-8EA3-799C7EE88FCF.jpeg

No my comments about him were not inaccurate and lazy. I said if you are looking for speed, space, and pace he isn't that, and alot of people want that.

He is in the Gattis, Arroyo, Moorhead arena as an OC. I didn't say he was a bad OC, I said I liked the guy. When I say arena I mean stylistically and formation wise. He may be above those other names In terms of coordinating and play calling an offense.

People are going to be disappointed if he was our OC, and first game they see a condensed formation as his sets and formations are similar to the other names.
I'm no Utah football expert, but I've watched them enough to come away impressed with that offense. I think you're really underselling him.

Or maybe one of them wanted to stay head coach, and the other one got promoted to stay at his own school that he played at but yeah keep making it simpleton, you keep going with your ******* narrative

Last year there was even more smoke with Candle than there is now, but it turned out it wasnt much more than a courteous phone call, and Cristobal never got close to offering him the OC job. So now you think after Candle's 9 win season at Toledo, that Cristobal actually tried to convince Candle to leave his HC job? Bro. You can't possibly be that dense or delusional. And offering Hartline doesn't make a whit of logical sense. Cristobal is coming off a 5 win season and one of the worst offenses in the history of the program, so he is going to hire a guy who has zero experience as a primary play caller on offense?

Let’s start with the exact thing you quoted, which led me to quote you:

Everything else you said, fine. All good. But the first part is what wears me out, because at this point there is nothing that says Arroyo isn’t in the candidate pool. Not a single thing, set against multiple reasons why you could say he’s a reasonable choice given that we’ve been told Mario doesn’t want to change from his scheme. Yet when his name is brought up, people respond with “why is his name even being brought up?”

Arroyo may be candidate number five (which Mario almost got to last year), he may be number ten. But until we hear otherwise, he could still be a candidate. If some ****ant is saying “he’s the guy and Mario sucks balls” then yeah, they’re just random sticking words in front of their real point: Mario sucks balls.
Yeah, I think I’ve drawn good distinctions on the board on this. I have no issue saying Arroyo is a candidate. He probably is. My issue is people saying we’re getting Arroyo and raining that misery as if it’s a done deal. And yes we might - but if he was the preferred choice, it would be done as he’s been available. If we get him it means Mario failed to land other choices. No one knows really anyhow so I don’t get the spiraling out of control. No way he’s choice number one or two.

Advertisement
Last year there was even more smoke with Candle than there is now, but it turned out it wasnt much more than a courteous phone call, and Cristobal never got close to offering him the OC job. So now you think after Candle's 9 win season at Toledo, that Cristobal actually tried to convince Candle to leave his HC job? Bro. You can't possibly be that dense or delusional. And offering Hartline doesn't make a whit of logical sense. Cristobal is coming off a 5 win season and one of the worst offenses in the history of the program, so he is going to hire a guy who has zero experience as a primary play caller on offense?

lots of porsters on here are dense and delusional. they live in an alternate reality world. i think they played too many video games and they believe that that is the real world.

He's so legit.

Scoring offense:
2022 -- 14th
2021 -- 13th
2020 -- 48th
2019 -- 28th

YPP:
2022 -- 23rd
2021 -- 25th
2020 -- 47th
2019 -- 17th

3rd down conversions:
2022 -- 7th
2021 -- 7th
2020 -- 85th
2019 -- 18th

Red Zone TD%:
2022 -- 12th
2021 -- 6th
2020 -- 73rd
2019 -- 26th

The Covid year wasn't great. The other 3, pretty much sensational across the board. If you want a dude who is gonna come in and throw it 50 times a game, he's not your guy. If you want someone who will take advantage of a massive and physical OL, punch you in the mouth, and coordinate an efficient, potent, cohesive unit who looks competent in all phases, he can and will do that. We will look WELL COACHED. And he doesn't run everything super tight. They play with pace and space. It's not Lashlee, but they ran 72 plays a game this past season. That's not plodding. They get their QB in the gun. But they make you defend everyone on the field and they are very creative, especially on short yardage. I don't think any of the mouth breathers here or on twitter would go bonkers for this guy, but that's probably a good thing. He'd just be a really solid hire and our offense would be well coached and efficient overnight. Give him some NFL offensive linemen and look out.
Have not done any research but based on what you are saying I would be good with it. This is Ludwig right?

Advertisement
He's so legit.

Scoring offense:
2022 -- 14th
2021 -- 13th
2020 -- 48th
2019 -- 28th

YPP:
2022 -- 23rd
2021 -- 25th
2020 -- 47th
2019 -- 17th

3rd down conversions:
2022 -- 7th
2021 -- 7th
2020 -- 85th
2019 -- 18th

Red Zone TD%:
2022 -- 12th
2021 -- 6th
2020 -- 73rd
2019 -- 26th

The Covid year wasn't great. The other 3, pretty much sensational across the board. If you want a dude who is gonna come in and throw it 50 times a game, he's not your guy. If you want someone who will take advantage of a massive and physical OL, punch you in the mouth, and coordinate an efficient, potent, cohesive unit who looks competent in all phases, he can and will do that. We will look WELL COACHED. And he doesn't run everything super tight. They play with pace and space. It's not Lashlee, but they ran 72 plays a game this past season. That's not plodding. They get their QB in the gun. But they make you defend everyone on the field and they are very creative, especially on short yardage. I don't think any of the mouth breathers here or on twitter would go bonkers for this guy, but that's probably a good thing. He'd just be a really solid hire and our offense would be well coached and efficient overnight. Give him some NFL offensive linemen and look out.
Excellent write-up.

We have had such bad coaching for so long, that a good chunk of this board thinks we need some innovative genius running the latest trend/s to win games. We have forgotten that competent, professional coaching alone is sufficient to be a consistent winner.

Lumping Ludwig in with Arroyo and Gattis is inaccurate and lazy. He’s the one of the few guys that are equally creative in the run and passing game

They averaged 39ppg in 2022 ; 36.5ppg in 2021

Both years they were approx 50% on 3rd down conversion

If Miami lands him, I will be the President of the “I told you so” club in October

Sounds like he's a Mozart on coordinating offenses.

Have not done any research but based on what you are saying I would be good with it. This is Ludwig right?

Yeah.

He played WR as a player, and he's been coaching offense since 1987. He's a really sharp dude and a pro. This guy just wants to coach ball.

My only thing is he's been essentially a West Coast and PNW guy his whole life. Born in Utah, played in Utah and Oregon, has had 2 different stints as the OC at Utah, and even the times he's left it's been to Oregon, he was Cal's OC and QB coach for 2 years, Fresno, etc. He did spend a few years at Vandy, but immediately went back to Utah when he left there. So I'm not sure how willing he is to move all the way to Miami. But he is a professional coach, basically the anti-Gattis. IMO a dude like this comes in and is all business.

Also developed a ton of NFL talent from kids who were not highly recruited. I'm sure everyone remembers Tyler Huntley and Zack Moss, who of course both weren't good enough to play here, but they're collecting NFL checks. Huntley blew up his senior year under Ludwig and has played himself into the NFL as a UDFA. Also coached James White his senior year and Melvin Gordon his Jr and Sr year. Was David Carr's OC the year he was a Heisman finalist. Dude has been pretty good just about everywhere he's ever been, coaching **** good QBs and Running Backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back