The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
If conversations with guys like Mullen and/or Kingsbury and/or Frost were not super-job-offer-oriented, then that leads me to think that maybe Mario was working to identify some up-and-comers. We shall see.

Cristobal had the biggest budget in the history of the program last year and then ended up producing with the worst season in decades. I don't think it's unreasonable to doubt his ability to put together a good staff or identify quality up and comers.

Cristobal supposedly got turned down by a bunch of candidates last year and settled on Gattis, and if we assume the Candle/Mullen/etc inquiries are true, it looks like it's happening again. Two years in a row is starting to look like a pattern. Why do OCs keep turning him down? I have some suspicions as to why...

I will officer ricky.

Cops help!!!!! I need help!!!!

You know, multiple moderators have asked me to resolve things with their assistance, instead of confronting you directly.

I am trying to limit my responses to your really terrible mopey porsts, and not respond to your obvious attempts to pick fights, repeat grievances, and call names.

It's not my intention to be on forced ignore with anyone. Maybe you would prefer Purgatory?

Advertisement
Much like the first time around, I don’t think anyone will really know who or what is going on until it’s done. Can’t miss this time around or it’s gonna work against Mario for a long time
Agree. No one talked about Josh Gattis before he was hired last year, same with Kevin Steele. It's clear Mario interviews a ton of candidate and keeps all the info close to the vest. Got to imagine if it was Arroyo it would of happened already, same with Scott Mullen and Frost. All 3 are currently unemployed, it's very likely someone from another school with a current job of the NFL.

If that’s the case one of the top candidates must have removed themselves. I was told to expect something late this week

I was trying to be generous with the time-frame, as I'm not sure whether the HR processes could extend things, but I think a decision is close at hand. Announcement...only God knows.

When I was pulling receipts from the old Gattis thread, it was hilarious to see how many "December timeframe" posts there were.

I was trying to be generous with the time-frame, as I'm not sure whether the HR processes could extend things, but I think a decision is close at hand. Announcement...only God knows.

When I was pulling receipts from the old Gattis thread, it was hilarious to see how many "December timeframe" posts there were.
I wasn’t trying to discredit you

I’m just here sharing info when it becomes available

Advertisement
So Cristobal has a well established rep of having this long drawn out interview process and man turn that into getting turnt down.

Lets cut the krap. We didnt settle for Gattis, he won the Broyles award and was being hailed by everyone in the national media. He was a bad fit from a chemistry standpoint and he didnt get any help with the injuries.

The long process is annoying, its annoying the fack outa me, but man still have to use their brains here. We are not getting turnt down, Cristobal is interviewing 65 man which is what frustrates even the candidates. If we were getting shunned, man not even turning up for interviews. Simple

Advertisement
@PIPO we need you in here, its a showdown bonanza
Im Not No Way GIF

Advertisement
Cristobal had the biggest budget in the history of the program last year and then ended up producing with the worst season in decades. I don't think it's unreasonable to doubt his ability to put together a good staff or identify quality up and comers.

Cristobal supposedly got turned down by a bunch of candidates last year and settled on Gattis, and if we assume the Candle/Mullen/etc inquiries are true, it looks like it's happening again. Two years in a row is starting to look like a pattern. Why do OCs keep turning him down? I have some suspicions as to why...

Look, I'll make this simple.

I don't know why "biggest budget" is a thing. Why it's relevant. Why it's equated with things.

Mario made a mistake with Gattis. A huge mistake. One that impaired coaching chemistry and offensive team cohesion.

But just for the moment, let's put a pin in "2022". If you go back to his days at FIU, Mario did NOT have a big budget, and he had fairly good success with putting together staffs. So now going back to "2022", why is one year some sort of basis for "doubting", when there is other evidence to consider from earlier in his career?

As for the "supposedly got turned down by a bunch of candidates last year", I'd say "name those candidates". And then I'd say, what is the issue? If Mario is (Gattis aside) picking talented guys, then that should be a good sign. And if the guys who "turned him down" last year had other very good options (such as Candle REMAINING a head coach), then doesn't that suggest that maybe an "up-and-comer" is a good option?

I'm just confused. It's nothing personal. I don't know that throwing tons of money at established names is the best or only way to go. And if the pitch (and Mario's entire work history) is that you only need to be a coordinator for a year or two before you are up-up-and-away, then doesn't that seem to appeal more to up-and-comers? Maybe someday Mario will establish the Saban Coaching Rehab School - Eastern Campus, but I don't think we're there yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back