Stacy Coley - WR Coach
Kevin Smith - RB Coach
Alex Mirabal - OL Coach

Geoff Collins - Co-DC/Safeties
Charlie Strong - Co-DC/LB Coach
Joe Salvea - IDL Coach
Rod Wright - ODL Coach
DVD - CB Coach

OFF Field: Kevin Steele (Analyst), Dennis Smith (Recruiting/Analyst), Stephen Field (Recruiting/Analyst), Mike Rumph (Recruiting/Analyst), Jason Taylor (Analyst), Marwan Maalouf (ST Analyst), Marcus Arroyo (Analyst), Jeff Popovich (Analyst)
Is this a fantasy list or what?

Advertisement
He interviewed for the TCU job, but Dykes wound up going with Kendal Briles.

I really hope Mario considers & hires him, because otherwise I would hate to see USF or UTEP snatch him up before us.

I could also see him waiting to see what happens with Lebby at Oklahoma, because that would be an ideal landing spot for him as well.

He’s also still owed about $1.6mill from his buyout at North Texas because he signed an extension that was supposed to run through Jan 2024 & they fired him in December of 2022. That’s not much money to overcome & it could easily be paid by whichever team wants to hire him, but he’s pretty much guaranteed 1.6-1.8mill this year whether he gets a job or not, so I could see him going to a team in an analyst role if a job he likes doesn’t present itself.
Why not offer $2M a year (for example), reduced to $400K in year 1 from Miami, with NT picking up the balance? Then a raise to $2M in year 2…

This is what Bama did with Kiffin. He was still being paid by USC, so Bama got him as OC for a little over $600K a year. Once USC paid in full Bama bumped Kiffin up to $1.5M or whatever was a top OC salary at that time.

EDIT: read your earlier response regarding buyouts. but the Kiffin example still makes me question. Especially with a ‘demotion’ from HC to OC.

Last edited:
This comment assumes that the decision to fire Gattis was not made months ago. I disagree. I believe that Mario told him to look for a job a long time ago--and I think Gattis couldn't (or refused) to find job. Mario was then forced to fire him.

You have to be willfully ignorant to believe that Mario wasn't already looking before he officially fired Gattis.

True.

But consider this possibility...if you are trying to establish "for cause", you want to make the process look valid and unimpeachable. So while I can tell you that backchanneling for "interest" occurred, it likely did not move to a level of certainty and you definitely want to keep it as quiet as possible.

Advertisement
Had anyone on this offensive staff ever coached together (besides smith and mirabal)? We have to let whoever the oc is bring in their own assistant or two. We saw first hand on both sides of the ball how hard it is for coaches to teach a system they are learning for the first time too.
Smith was a QCA for Frost at UCF one year

Why not offer $2M a year (for example), reduced to $400K in year 1 from Miami, with NT picking up the balance? Then a raise to $2M in year 2…

This is what Bama did with Kiffin. He was still being paid by USC, so Bama got him as OC for a little over $600K a year. Once USC paid in full Bama bumped Kiffin up to $1.5M or whatever was a top OC salary at that time.

EDIT: read your earlier response regarding buyouts. but the Kiffin example still makes me question. Especially with a ‘demotion’ from HC to OC.
I agree & If it was me I would...

It just depends on how much the new team is willing to pay of the buyout & whether or not the Coach wants that kinda setup or not. Some Coaches don’t mind taking a break for a season or two & just collect money while either having a less demanding role as an analyst or doing TV. Like Herman, Mullen, Fedora & several others have all done when they were fired.

Advertisement
He didn't get elevated at Oregon. He simply had the co-OC title removed since he was sharing it with Mario previously
I was mainly referring to the title AHC. Usually that comes with a bump in pay too.

I really hope he is on Mario's short list.
79gxue.jpg

Advertisement
I agree & If it was me I would...

It just depends on how much the new team is willing to pay of the buyout & whether or not the Coach wants that kinda setup or not. Some Coaches don’t mind taking a break for a season or two & just collect money while either having a less demanding role as an analyst or doing TV. Like Herman, Mullen, Fedora & several others have all done when they were fired.
True.

Litrell’s buyout is $1.6-1.8M, and seemingly a top-going rate for a P5 OC.

Not $12-15-20M like others, so maybe our wish will come true.

Chan Gailey looks like a football coach that says “pro-grum”
You would be 100% correct.

Good guy and family guy in kind of the Mark Richt mold but I may have been the only kid (at least during his time in Pittsburgh) that he publicly shamed. In one of the few practices that he ever observed, he said in front of everyone that I practice and run drills like I hate football and that's a cancerous mindset.

Looking back on it, he was absolutely right. Not about me hating football or even it infecting anyone else but I absolutely did practice like that.

Haha. And so concludes the completely random trip down Chan Gailey Lane. Eff him. He was a proud Gheytor.

Advertisement
True.

But consider this possibility...if you are trying to establish "for cause", you want to make the process look valid and unimpeachable. So while I can tell you that backchanneling for "interest" occurred, it likely did not move to a level of certainty and you definitely want to keep it as quiet as possible.
If its for cause, then its for cause. He must have breached the terms of his employment agreement. I suppose they could argue some sort of unfair enforcement of the agreement based on ulterior motive. But can't the school just respond by saying that we started looking because of those 'bad acts'? Though another point contrary is that the school may have a duty to let the HR procedure play out--but I don't know how much water that holds.

Either way, Mario was 100% working back channels and not leaving a paper trail--I believe he is smart enough to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back