The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its not just CIS mopes who are agitated about Cristobal's federal govt like long drawn out process. **** is annoying because the guys who are employed need to make decisions for people where they at. Really annoying. He aint changing it but he should look at that because its not proof from hiring Gattis type failures
Even Saban has made hires that didn’t work out, so there are no guarantees.

But Mario taking forever to make hires limits his talent pool. Quality coaches may have other options and aren’t going wait around weeks for a decision. And this season the delay on Gattis negatively impacted QB and WR recruiting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
And to further the thought, if Mario wanted someone like Arroyo and that he was already familiar with, I think he would have just kept Ponce on. After all, he brought Ponce in to Miami (whereas he inherited Arroyo at Oregon).

Instead, he encouraged Ponce to move on (much like he did to Arroyo when UNLV opened up).

Not sure the situations were the same. Arroyo was promoted under Mario to AHC along with OC title so it may have been encouragement to move up than move on.

Not sure the situations were the same. Arroyo was promoted under Mario to AHC along with OC title so it may have been encouragement to move up than move on.
He didn't get elevated at Oregon. He simply had the co-OC title removed since he was sharing it with Mario previously

If Cristobal is so committed to power spread, why he interviewing so many people that run so many different schemes? He not committed to any scheme, thats a narrative thats building on itself. Interviewing 55 man is my issue and thats what dragging the process out, much more than indecision or getting turnt down.

Advertisement
If Cristobal is so committed to power spread, why he interviewing so many people that run so many different schemes? He not committed to any scheme, thats a narrative thats building on itself. Interviewing 55 man is my issue and thats what dragging the process out, much more than indecision or getting turnt down.
Agreed. Find it bizarre that Feldman who is pretty plugged in with Mario (I think they were at UM at the same time) was so insistent that he’s married to “power spread”.

Saban's clout apparently didn't impress the Washington OC.

Bama fans should be ****ed this is dragging on so long as well as a very public rejection.
It was enough to get him to interview after a massive raise.

Advertisement
I remember former AD Sam J said he always kept a short list of coaching candidates ready, in case he needed to replace a HC. He’s not wondering what to do if the time came. Schelly left, and Sam was always impressed with JJ. JJ left, and Erickson was on the list. This doesn’t mean the process happens overnight, of course.

I’m curious how many candidates Mario has on his short list. As analytical as he his I’d find it hard to believe he just started compiling a list of names the day Gattis was fired.

Cuz there’s not much else to talk **** about? Mario should toss the crowd a crumb or two, getting restless ova here!

He just spent a post talking about not talking about Arroyo instead of talking about another candidate on the list no one has or is able/willing to share if they do…

Arroyo is the subject de jour because he’s available and there’s a link. Likely won’t be him.

If it is, we have bigger problems to consider - as I believe the great @RVACane has expressed more eloquently…

I remember former AD Sam J said he always kept a short list of coaching candidates ready, in case he needed to replace a HC. He’s not wondering what to do if the time came. Schelly left, and Sam was always impressed with JJ. JJ left, and Erickson was on the list. This doesn’t mean the process happens overnight, of course.

I’m curious how many candidates Mario has on his short list. As analytical as he his I’d find it hard to believe he just started compiling a list of names the day Gattis was fired.
Dabo fired and hired his guy in a day.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know. I know how the process works. But one guy was out and the next guy was in quickly.

My guess is for some reason he's waiting till after signing day.
Yup. Let the kids sign at the school and then they lose their co-ordinator/ position coach. It is clockwork in the industry.

Look, Mario is definitely on the more conservative side offensively. That said, you can make a case that it is disingenuous to suggest that the Herbert offense means something (when we are assessing Mario now) because the game has really changed these last few years. I feel like offense has evolved significantly from '19 to '23; perhaps more so than any other 4 year time period in at least my time viewing football the last 2 decades. I mean, some teams were going fast in '19 but now nearly every team is doing it. What felt like a limited concept in '19 is now widespread accepted.

Folks here are so hellbent on reverting to what Mario did with Herbert at Oregon as it's dispositive of who he is now. I'm not so sure. Listen to @DMoney. He was last talking about how Mario now wants a running QB.

I'm not going to suggest Mario has evolved because I haven't seen enough yet but I do think he can and we have seen some glimpses of it.

“Anthony Brown” reference was more Yikes than Ah ha on a scale of excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back