The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to further the thought, if Mario wanted someone like Arroyo and that he was already familiar with, I think he would have just kept Ponce on. After all, he brought Ponce in to Miami (whereas he inherited Arroyo at Oregon).

Instead, he encouraged Ponce to move on (much like he did to Arroyo when UNLV opened up).
And Ponce is a better OC than Arroyo is with local ties to boot

Advertisement
Again, the lack of nuance on this board boggles the mind.

I love the air raid. I think it is fun and makes this silly sport more silly when everyone is scoring a billion points. Warms my heart, and if given the choice between what we watched for most of the last 20 years and going full raid, I’d take it in a heartbeat, even if it didn’t change our record by much.

But the argument isn’t that having a good offense is bad for defense. It’s that a certain style of offense, which is usually pretty one dimensional, doesn’t win at the highest level. Air Raid teams are unable to sustain drives, usually, and most of the time are unable to run the ball effectively when the other team knows it’s coming. This puts strain on your defense when you’re playing elite teams. We saw a very PG-13 version of it with Lashlee.

two things can be true at the same time…air raids score more points on average and they also probably cap how far you can get with your team. I don’t see us as contenders anytime soon so might as well just spread em out and try to win track meets like TCU…but let’s at least understand what we’re signing up for.
I just don’t believe it. I doubt an air raid systems puts any more strain on a defense than an up-tempo, non-air raid spread/pro-style team or an extremely ****** offense, like Gattis’.

So yeah, you’ve pointed out a hypothetical possibility… nice, but do you have any proof?

But even if what you’re saying about an air raid’s impact on a defense is true, your last point is nonetheless correct.

We shouldn’t make hires based on winning a NC in the next 2 years. Mario needs to catapult this team into consistent ACC contention. That means winning 10+ games. Which means dramatically improving our offensive output. Which means hiring an elite OC.

Yet Mario is completely removing potentially elite OCs from consideration all based on some (probably) unsupported belief they run a system that might not work against the very elite even though we’re not going to the playoffs in the near-term anyway.

So my criticism still stands: it’s stupid and dumb to remove from consideration proven, successful OCs that could stabilize our program, put us in ACC contention, attract elite WRs (which we need to land to win a NC), and rehabilitate Miami’s and Mario’s image and reputation. And your self-proclaimed “nuanced” response doesn’t take anything away from that.

Last edited:
When Arroyo wasn’t at Oregon (scoring offense)…

San Jose St co-OC
2007 - 103
2008 - 106
Wyoming OC
2009 - 110
2010 - 107
Southern Miss OC
2013 - 119
UNLV HC
2020 - 120
2021 - 112
2022 - 76

His results at Oregon weren't terrible but he had Herbert and a monster OL and they still found themselves in death struggles with inferior teams. Oregon fans dubbed his offense "the plodding pistol".

Gross results lol

Advertisement
I just don’t believe it. I doubt an air raid systems puts any more strain on a defense than an up-tempo, non-air raid spread/pro-style team or an extremely ****** offense, like Gattis’.

So yeah, you’ve pointed out a hypothetical possibility… nice, but do you have any proof?

But even if what you’re saying about an air raid’s impact on a defense is true, your last point is nonetheless correct.

We shouldn’t make hires based on winning a NC in the next 2 years. Mario needs to catapult this team into consistent ACC contention. That means winning 10+ games. Which means dramatically improving our offensive output. Which means hiring an elite OC.

Yet Mario is completely removing potentially elite OCs from consideration all based on some unsupported belief they run a system that might not work against the very elite even though we’re not going to the playoffs in the near-term anyway.

So my criticism still stands: it’s stupid and dumb to remove from consideration proven, successful OCs that could stabilize our program, put us in ACC contention, attract elite WRs (which we need to land to win a NC), and rehabilitate Miami’s and Mario’s image and reputation.
I mean yeah, my proof is that a true Air Raid team has never won a Natty and generally speaking they get boat raced every time they play one of the big dogs. TCU is a great case in point...they made an amazing run, with a million close scrapes that they won because they had a veteran QB that willed them to wins, and then they got demolished by a big boy program. I'd KILL to have five years similar to the one TCU just pulled off, to be clear, BUT it is further proof that Air Raid teams don't hold up on the biggest stages, and with the money we are paying Mario, that is how he is framing it.

We ran a Beta Test version of it here with Lashlee...not an Air Raid but the closest we've ever gotten. The result was that we were more fun on offense than we have been in years, we got shut down by every good defense we played and we couldn't run the ball.

I agree that we are not at a point where we should be limiting the top of our funnel, and I think Mario is showing all the signs of the same "smartest guy in the room" syndrome that doomed Golden and Manny here. But I also don't think the long term view of where you need your offense to be if you want to contend for Nattys is wrong either.

What we do know is that this new OL is going to be the strength of this team and its absolute identity.

So.....to the crowd on here who think running the ball is boring and archaic ya better brace yourselves...
Whomever the new OC is, he is going to coach to the strengths of the team. period.
and i dont see a WR room loaded with studs.. hes going to cook with the ingredients hes given.

I mean yeah, my proof is that a true Air Raid team has never won a Natty and generally speaking they get boat raced every time they play one of the big dogs. TCU is a great case in point...they made an amazing run, with a million close scrapes that they won because they had a veteran QB that willed them to wins, and then they got demolished by a big boy program. I'd KILL to have five years similar to the one TCU just pulled off, to be clear, BUT it is further proof that Air Raid teams don't hold up on the biggest stages, and with the money we are paying Mario, that is how he is framing it.

We ran a Beta Test version of it here with Lashlee...not an Air Raid but the closest we've ever gotten. The result was that we were more fun on offense than we have been in years, we got shut down by every good defense we played and we couldn't run the ball.

I agree that we are not at a point where we should be limiting the top of our funnel, and I think Mario is showing all the signs of the same "smartest guy in the room" syndrome that doomed Golden and Manny here. But I also don't think the long term view of where you need your offense to be if you want to contend for Nattys is wrong either.
Well we disagree on TCU. I think that’s a terrible example.

Everything else the same, if TCU had Georgia’s roster, they would have boat raced Georgia. Talent was the difference. It had nothing to do with TCU’s offensive system.

TCU actually supports my point. They were able to dramatically outperform their talent level, beat an elite team in Michigan, and make the playoffs because of the system they ran, not despite it. If they didn’t run an air raid, I doubt they go undefeated, make the playoffs, and and beat Michigan.

Advertisement

What you just outlined is the chicken or the egg scenario….

Labels be damned, we need a coach that has had good to strong success at other schools and is able to adjust year over year based upon: (a) his players and their strengths and weaknesses (b) the defense they play each week

QB recruiting and development are a number 2 in terms of importance

This is why Ludwig Littrell and Mullen are my top 3… Kevin Johns and Scott Frost also fit the bill

Advertisement
So its not just CIS mopes who are agitated about Cristobal's federal govt like long drawn out process. **** is annoying because the guys who are employed need to make decisions for people where they at. Really annoying. He aint changing it but he should look at that because its not proof from hiring Gattis type failures

Advertisement
You can trace the Clemson rise to prominence directly to Dabo Swinney's decision to hire Chad Morris from Tulsa in 2011.

Mario needs a similar type hire. I don't mind if he takes his time so long as he gets the right guy; but if this turns into a retread situation, I'm going to start losing faith in his ability to look internally and self-scout the program.
That would be that guy at Texas Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back