The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the best coaches who win all the time don't believe in pure air raid systems? Crazy.

I'm not locked into a system but our HC's strength is building an offensive line that rivals anyones in the country. Give me an OC that can maximize that.
You’re missing the context of the conversation.

I’m not locked into a system either. But Mario is just full-stop writing off any air raid coordinator, even if the coordinator produces elite offenses. And he’s doing that because he believes having a really good offense somehow makes your defense bad. That makes no sense and it’s stupid.

Advertisement
Gattis turned into a catastrophe but their were VERY few people not lauding the move 12 months ago
There were plenty that didn’t care for it but were willing to give him a chance. Once he got hired the slurpers came out with their pitchforks and were going to hang anyone in the town square that didn’t say he was a top tier hire. It also temporarily ran off ELC, who many considered the top poster on this board.

He interviewed. Didn't say Bama offered him the job. Easiest way to save face is to get out in front of the story and say I'm staying put.

The tweet said he was offered.

Don't know if it's true or not, but that's what the tweet said.

Advertisement
You’re missing the context of the conversation.

I’m not locked into a system either. But Mario is just full-stop writing off any air raid coordinator, even if the coordinator produces elite offenses. And he’s doing that because he believes having a really good offense somehow makes your defense bad. That makes no sense and it’s stupid.
Again, the lack of nuance on this board boggles the mind.

I love the air raid. I think it is fun and makes this silly sport more silly when everyone is scoring a billion points. Warms my heart, and if given the choice between what we watched for most of the last 20 years and going full raid, I’d take it in a heartbeat, even if it didn’t change our record by much.

But the argument isn’t that having a good offense is bad for defense. It’s that a certain style of offense, which is usually pretty one dimensional, doesn’t win at the highest level. Air Raid teams are unable to sustain drives, usually, and most of the time are unable to run the ball effectively when the other team knows it’s coming. This puts strain on your defense when you’re playing elite teams. We saw a very PG-13 version of it with Lashlee.

two things can be true at the same time…air raids score more points on average and they also probably cap how far you can get with your team. I don’t see us as contenders anytime soon so might as well just spread em out and try to win track meets like TCU…but let’s at least understand what we’re signing up for.

Fire Spring GIF

Exactly, because there is no correlation whatsoever.

In fact, TOP is not necessarily driven by the type of offense you're running. Its driven by yards per play, amount of converted third downs and whether you have a big lead at the end of a football game and you simply run clock.
This. You can play fast and still keep your defense off the field if your offense is consistent. You can play Gattis slow and have almost no time of possession because you go three and out every series.

Advertisement
I enjoy this podcast - they put out a good product.

Listening to this, it sounds like Bruce Feldmann isn't optimistic Mario moves quickly again. He mentions how frustrating it is for his candidates too - the long , drawn out process keeps them hanging and as a result, he loses good guys. They raise the question of why it took so long to get rid of Gattis - not even a veiled reference to possible off field issues, which isn't surprising. Feldmann also says Mario isn't likely to change his offensive philosophy much, if at all.
All the signs are there, y’all. He hasn’t learned a single thing about creating an offensive machine, he’s still blaming the manufacturer.

This. You can play fast and still keep your defense off the field if your offense is consistent. You can play Gattis slow and have almost no time of possession because you go three and out every series.
Alabama wings the football all over the place and they still have elite defenses for college football standards.

Thats the most basic example out there and people still believe your defense plays better when the Air Raid is not being played by your offense.

Texas Tech last season literally had a higher ranking defensively vs offensively.

Reactions: DTP
Advertisement
Running into 10 man boxes to prove a point.
True..but for all the talk about Lashlee's offense being explosive, when it came to the run game thats exactly what Lashlee did here...even when using a fast, 180 lb RB. I guess he would be a wide open passing game style with a "bro" style running game

Advertisement
I think this is spot on. If Arroyo was the intended choice, it would have been done. He’s available. I have no doubt that there are other candidates ahead of wherever Arroyo is or isn’t on a list.
And to further the thought, if Mario wanted someone like Arroyo that he was already familiar with, he would have just kept Ponce. After all, he brought Ponce to Miami (whereas he inherited Arroyo at Oregon).

Instead, he encouraged Ponce to move on (much like he did to Arroyo when UNLV opened up).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back