The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RVACane

@PIPO and I had to get our hands dirty. We never expected any glory. But we got the job done.

Kamala Harris 2020 Race GIF by Election 2020

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/transfer-portal-watch.172951/post-6280463

deandre jordan wtf GIF

Advertisement
When Arroyo wasn’t at Oregon (scoring offense)…

San Jose St co-OC
2007 - 103
2008 - 106
Wyoming OC
2009 - 110
2010 - 107
Southern Miss OC
2013 - 119
UNLV HC
2020 - 120
2021 - 112
2022 - 76

His results at Oregon weren't terrible but he had Herbert and a monster OL and they still found themselves in death struggles with inferior teams. Oregon fans dubbed his offense "the plodding pistol".

Basura

Advertisement
Again, Not to reiterate, I like Mario, and wish him nothing but success here. His recruiting is outstanding, but his hiring process is maddening. This is borderline comical. If after all this waiting, we're left with the likes of Arroyo or less, I'll watch next yrs games from home. How in the World can anyone support this type of a process??...
If you think there’s a chance it could be Arroyo maybe you’re not as plugged in as you think? Even though Arroyo is not the devil like some people think.

Our offense had 0 spacing. Our WRs aren’t very good that was true and one way the spread overcomes this fault is by creating space and mismatches. It was frustrating to see this offense that had no identity and no pace. We actually ran TVD keepers in the 4th quarter against Texas A&M.
Then Mario Cristobal puts the cherry on top by being absolutely god awful at clock management. I'm rooting for the guy to succeed here but he might be the worst game day coach I've seen (go back and watch the A&M game, it's worse than you remember it being as far as timeout usage.)

Im a seeing is believing type guy. Mario has been the same every year at oregon and his first year at miami. There is nothing to show that he adapts. Ive said all year he has to adapt or fail miserably at miami.

Weve seen lists of guys we talked to last year and we still ended up with gattis. Why? My guess and i have no way of actually knowing, is that mario demands a certain offense and some coaches arent cool with that.
I don’t want to go to straight misery until there’s no choice. It can be a swirl to the bottom for naught. And, what you said about the offense he demands, I have said that very well could be why he couldn’t get some better options - he had something in mind and those guys weren’t comfortable working within his confines. He also pre-selected the entire staff so that’s another issue last year.

We don’t know who we are getting. There’s no need to pout that Arroyo and Coley are what we’re getting until we get that. And yeah, I think Arroyo is possible and I’ll hate it too, but there’s no way that’s choice number 1 or 2 - I think that’s fail-safe - so I’ll wait to pout.

Advertisement
The "Oh-God-it's-going-to-be-Arroyo" folks are starting to equal the "Gattis-will-not-get-fired" folks. If Mario wanted Arroyo, chances are it would have already happened. IIRC, @Cane6 indicated that Mario reached out to both Hartline and Riley. If he wanted something easy, Arroyo would have been the pick weeks ago. Clearly Mario has his sights elsewhere. With each passing day, Arroyo likely becomes less and less likely. Not sure why everyone is spending so many keystrokes going on and on about how terrible Arroyo is.

/famous last words right?
I think this is spot on. If Arroyo was the intended choice, it would have been done. He’s available. I have no doubt that there are other candidates ahead of wherever Arroyo is or isn’t on a list.

Plugged in as I think??...Lol...If you reread my post, I said Arroyo or Less.
How does that change anything lol you really think Mario will settle for Arroyo or less? Do the people who you talk to think he won’t find someone better??

The "Oh-God-it's-going-to-be-Arroyo" folks are starting to equal the "Gattis-will-not-get-fired" folks. If Mario wanted Arroyo, chances are it would have already happened. IIRC, @Cane6 indicated that Mario reached out to both Hartline and Riley. If he wanted something easy, Arroyo would have been the pick weeks ago. Clearly Mario has his sights elsewhere. With each passing day, Arroyo likely becomes less and less likely. Not sure why everyone is spending so many keystrokes going on and on about how terrible Arroyo is.

/famous last words right?

It makes sense that they equal because they are all the same people.....

Advertisement
I think this is spot on. If Arroyo was the intended choice, it would have been done. He’s available. I have no doubt that there are other candidates ahead of wherever Arroyo is or isn’t on a list.
Arroyo wasn't even hired by Mario in the first place at Oregon. He was retained the year Mario got elevated to HC and then strongly encouraged to take the UNLV job in 2020 before Mario hired Moorhead.

It's the same braindead morons that swore Ponce was going to be our OC last year simply because he worked with Mario in the past and was supposedly 'Mario's boy'.

Last edited:
How does that change anything lol you really think Mario will settle for Arroyo or less? Do the people who you talk to think he won’t find someone better??
Look at his track record. Couldn't hire any of the "targeted candidates" in 2022 ... they all turned the job down and he ended up with basically a panic hire of Gattis. Putting together a list of high quality candidates is one thing ... but being able to hire them is something altogether different.

San Jose St co-OC
2007 - 103
2008 - 106
Wyoming OC
2009 - 110
2010 - 107
Southern Miss OC
2013 - 119
UNLV HC
2020 - 120
2021 - 112
2022 - 76

His results at Oregon weren't terrible but he had Herbert and a monster OL and they still found themselves in death struggles with inferior teams. Oregon fans dubbed his offense "the plodding pistol".
I’m with you on his pre-Oregon results but any Oregon fan complaining about their 2019 offense is a clown. Here are some of their plodding offensive results in their 2019 death struggles:

vs Washington (#15 defense nationally):
35 points, 468 total yards
Herbert: 280 pass yards 4 TD 0 INT
Team rushing off: 34 carries 188 yds (5.5 ypc)

vs Utah (#6 defense nationally):
37 points, 432 total yards
Herbert: 213 total yards 1 TD 0 INT
Team rushing off: 41 carries 239 yds (5.8 ypc)

Offense finished the year:
#16 nationally in pts/game (35.4)
#26 nationally in yds/play

Herbert finished #14 nationally in passer rating
66.8% comp
3,471 pass yds
32 pass TDs
6 INTs

Advertisement
I don’t want to go to straight misery until there’s no choice. It can be a swirl to the bottom for naught. And, what you said about the offense he demands, I have said that very well could be why he couldn’t get some better options - he had something in mind and those guys weren’t comfortable working within his confines. He also pre-selected the entire staff so that’s another issue last year.

We don’t know who we are getting. There’s no need to pout that Arroyo and Coley are what we’re getting until we get that. And yeah, I think Arroyo is possible and I’ll hate it too, but there’s no way that’s choice number 1 or 2 - I think that’s fail-safe - so I’ll wait to pout.
Its not pouting. Its going off of stuff we have seen.

Also there isnt much to talk about right now.

Look at his track record. Couldn't hire any of the "targeted candidates" in 2022 ... they all turned the job down and he ended up with basically a panic hire of Gattis. Putting together a list of high quality candidates is one thing ... but being able to hire them is something altogether different.
A lot of people liked the Gattis hire. But you can’t foresee how a person reacts to adversity (injury) and how they adapt when needed (or Gattis case, lack of adaptability)

We also would have heard about it before. Not sure why something like that would stay under wraps

Anytime someone gets promoted from within and there's reporting about how desirable that person is on the outside....

Look, Mario does himself no favors because of how he drags this out. I think it creates an environment where a lot of ancillary nonsense can exist. It's fine if you hit on your hires but if you're doing this often it's not helpful.

San Jose St co-OC
2007 - 103
2008 - 106
Wyoming OC
2009 - 110
2010 - 107
Southern Miss OC
2013 - 119
UNLV HC
2020 - 120
2021 - 112
2022 - 76

His results at Oregon weren't terrible but he had Herbert and a monster OL and they still found themselves in death struggles with inferior teams. Oregon fans dubbed his offense "the plodding pistol
Im deadass when i said i woulda kept gattis before getting arroyo. And Mfs trying to spin the herbert narrative now its all hilarious man i watched that **** live multiple times and all 22 pre draft. He had a top 5 talent at qb but if u watched the offense you’d think he had chad Pennington lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back