The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
two new guys to consider:

1. Ryan Gunderson, QB coach at UCLA.

2. Mike Shanahan, OC at James Madison.

thoughts?
Mike Shanahan is very intriguing. James Madison was a very good offensive football team this year under him. Averaged 37 points per game. They were about 60-40 run vs pass which I'm sure everyone here will love but they average like 450+ yards a game and their QB was very good this year as well. As a bonus, they beat the **** out of MTSU this year.

Every modern passing game is air raid and run n shoot based lol. The game is now about creating favorable personnel matchups with motions and formations, and making it human readable for a sophomore college QB. The schemes are all very very similar now, it’s how creatively your OC can scheme people open/putting the right hat on the wrong hat. Stop buying into the “air raid” buzzword and look at the dude calling the thing more critically.

Good news is that it’s only day 421 of a 10 year contract. That means only *checks math* 3,231 days left for him to figure it out

😑😑
This is equally as stupid. So you think the football program only starting giving a **** because Mario is here, and that they’ll go back to being cheap if he fails? Stop the construction of all the buildings then.

Of course he demanded things, that’s common sense. It should have been demanded years ago. And I’m Not saying if these trends continue that he’ll be fired in two years. But if you think we’re getting 10 years of 5-7/7-5, I’m here to tell you that won’t happen. He’s got a good Five years to show dramatic improvement, ten is absolutely not guaranteed.

I don’t know. I can’t survive Arroyo here on this board. That’s just about as bad a pick as he can make with what we’ve seen and the resources he has. I don’t want to assume that nightmare and there’s no way that’s his preferred choice. If by chance that’s who we get then it’s by default as others turned down the job and that’s a problem too.
i cant either.

Im not throwing those names out for no reason. Would you actually be shocked if we ended up with one of them? I wouldnt.

Advertisement
Not true at all. Look at the Big 12 lol. Everyone runs a version of the air raid

The issue with running a finesse type of offense is that you practice against that offense everyday. So, when you play a team that focuses on physicality, it ends up being a long day.

The Big 12’s biggest problem is most of their teams have mid-level 3* recruiting classes.

And even OU, which had 4* recruiting, wasn’t located in an area that allowed it to pull a bunch of “off the bus war daddies” in the trenches.

And then the recruiting limitations would be exposed when they would go up against the elite powers that have the Will Anderson types on the OL and DL.

i cant either.

Im not throwing those names out for no reason. Would you actually be shocked if we ended up with one of them? I wouldnt.
I wouldn’t assume worst case scenario and perpetuate it as if it’s what we’re getting. If that’s what we get, it’s because no one better in his group of candidates was interested. Also a problem but different than those guys being the preferred choices.

Advertisement
I personally think he’s trying too hard. And I don’t mean that to slurp the guy, but that all this concern over getting everything perfect and micromanaging every detail can lead to negative effects both within the program and its perception nationally.

I’m not concerned whatsoever about the timeline right now or the fact we haven’t already hired an OC. I mean Gattis was officially let go Friday, it’s been 3 days. I just hope he makes the right hire in the end, that’s all. If it ends up being Arroyo, it’s because we struck out on **** near double digit candidates, that I know for a fact.

Yep. I said it last year during this long waiting process and then after the eventually hire.

Mario makes football harder than it needs to be.

It doesn’t take this long to hire an OC, because who you should hire isn’t actually that complicated.

Mario just doesn’t want to hire those types of offenses. Which is what makes it all more complicated than it needs to be.

Every modern passing game is air raid and run n shoot based lol. The game is now about creating favorable personnel matchups with motions and formations, and making it human readable for a sophomore college QB. The schemes are all very very similar now, it’s how creatively your OC can scheme people open/putting the right hat on the wrong hat. Stop buying into the “air raid” buzzword and look at the dude calling the thing more critically.

Until Mario realizes that even the 90’s Dallas Cowboys line can’t out block an 8man front, and you gotta utilize space and a numbers advantage, then everything is for not

Advertisement
Question: Why is Arroyo so bad? His offense at Oregon had nice results.
It’s not necessarily that he’s trash. He’s better than Gattis (although that’s not saying much), and the Herbert mis-use is absolutely overblown.

Now with that said, there are probably 50 OC’s I’d rather choose, and that might be on the lighter side. It’s bro style, boring, unimaginative, whatever you want to call it. There’s a relatively middle floor, but the ceiling… it’s not a very high one. We should be doing loads better with our budget and lack of success on the recruiting trail at the skill positions.

It would be unquestionably disappointing, but nothing unexpected; it would do nothing to spark hope and belief amongst the fanbase or recruits.

Chan Gailey looks like a football coach that says “pro-grum”
I knew Chan very well when he was at Air Force, Troy, and the Denver Broncos. You have him pegged perfectly. He's been coaching for a llllonggg time with some gap seasons. Not sure what his future holds as a coach anymore.

Advertisement
This is equally as stupid. So you think the football program only starting giving a **** because Mario is here, and that they’ll go back to being cheap if he fails? Stop the construction of all the buildings then.

Of course he demanded things, that’s common sense. It should have been demanded years ago. And I’m Not saying if these trends continue that he’ll be fired in two years. But if you think we’re getting 10 years of 5-7/7-5, I’m here to tell you that won’t happen. He’s got a good Five years to show dramatic improvement, ten is absolutely not guaranteed.
First of all - grab a Snickers. You’re on edge and I get it. This is frustrating. A little attempt at levity. The truth is that he’s in this for the long haul with the university and so are we. People insinuating this is do or die hire time are foolish. Mario won’t face major heat until 2026-27 in my opinion. With that said, the things we love about institutional buy in and alignment are also going to be frustration points. He’s the BIL of one of our biggest donors and a lot of this infrastructure is his brain child. That means, for better or worse, we are going to have to tolerate some of these processes and decisions. Maybe multiple times.

It’s not necessarily that he’s trash. He’s better than Gattis (although that’s not saying much), and the Herbert mis-use is absolutely overblown.

Now with that said, there are probably 50 OC’s I’d rather choose, and that might be on the lighter side. It’s bro style, boring, unimaginative, whatever you want to call it. There’s a relatively middle floor, but the ceiling… it’s not a very high one. We should be doing loads better with our budget and lack of success on the recruiting trail at the skill positions.

It would be unquestionably disappointing, but nothing unexpected; it would do nothing to spark hope and belief amongst the fanbase or recruits.

I couldn’t have said it any better

Thank you for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back