The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Racism / Bigotry
Mike Ryan Ruiz in the latest Dan LeBatard Show about Gattis and Miami's new OC search:

- They pull the trigger on Gattis three weeks ago;
- Ponce went back to App State because Mario told him he wouldn’t be the choice at OC;
- The waiting was caused by the attempt to find a soft landing spot for everyone;
- There was a real struggle to connect between Gattis and the players, also no chemistry with the other coaches on staff;
- Last year Mario tried hard to get Tommy Reese, Liam Coen and Jason Candle before hiring Gattis;
- Jason Candle said no again this year before extending with Toledo;
- No change in offensive philosophy, power spread confirmed;
- No Kingsbury;
- Scott Frost is a candidate but he (Mike Ryan) seems to confirm some of the rumors out of Nebraska about is lifestyle;
- Mario loves the Rams offense;
- He (Mike Ryan) likes Arroyo, I didn't understand if he thinks or knows that Arroyo is a candidate;
- Gattis buyout was not an issue (2 million);

Nothing groundbreaking imho, many of those things are the same that we read on here from our insiders/connected posters.
****! Nothing about Mullen is scary Mario will pick arroyo again and be terrible again. He’s the new Cuban Golden. We are cursed

Does Jason candle run a power spread?
He runs the Mount Union Spread, with Pistol adaptations depending on personnel.

He comes from the DIII Mount Union Dynasty that has produced a bunch of Coaches under the legend Larry Kehres.
Larry basically took the Ohio HS Offense that he learned & developed from Ken Wable & evolved it over time to adjust to the kind of athletes he would be recruiting locally in the region.

Nick Sirianni, Matt Campbell, Alex Grinch, Ed Warner & Jason Candle all played & coached under Larry K.

Candle’s system is really dependent upon who he has at QB, for instance; this previous season his QB was more mobile & not really that much arm talent, so he ran a more Spread-Option Pistol that incorporates QB Option runs. His QB this season DeQuan Finn only had 2,260yds passing off 315 attempts, but also 130 rushes for 631yds, but back in 2017 when we played Toledo & he had a kid like Logan Woodside they threw the ball a lot more & played with a lot more 4/5-wide sets.

Last year they played mostly 12 & 11 personnel, but when Woodside was there they ran a lot of 10, 2 & 1.

However, the plausibility of actually getting Candle never really made much sense just based off the facts:
1) He’s an Ohio native who grew up just a couple hours away from Toledo
2) He’s been at Toledo for 14 years
3) He’s a HC with a 54-32 & 2 MAC Conference titles
4) Toledo went 9-5 last year & won the MAC

Why would a HC take a demotion to become an OC when he’s a winning Coach at his own hometown program?

Obviously, it would’ve been contingent upon him getting fired or not getting an extension at Tol, but in reality it’s an easy play for his agent to leverage the “threat” of going to Miami to get a new contract, which he just did 3 days ago keeping him as the highest paid coach in the MAC.

He runs the Mount Union Spread, with Pistol adaptations depending on personnel.

He comes from the DIII Mount Union Dynasty that has produced a bunch of Coaches under the legend Larry Kehres.
Larry basically took the Ohio HS Offense that he learned & developed from Ken Wable & evolved it over time to adjust to the kind of athletes he would be recruiting locally in the region.

Nick Sirianni, Matt Campbell, Alex Grinch, Ed Warner & Jason Candle all played & coached under Larry K.

Candle’s system is really dependent upon who he has at QB, for instance; this previous season his QB was more mobile & not really that much arm talent, so he ran a more Spread-Option Pistol that incorporates QB Option runs. His QB this season DeQuan Finn only had 2,260yds passing off 315 attempts, but also 130 rushes for 631yds, but back in 2017 when we played Toledo & he had a kid like Logan Woodside they threw the ball a lot more & played with a lot more 4/5-wide sets.

Last year they played mostly 12 & 11 personnel, but when Woodside was there they ran a lot of 10, 2 & 1.

However, the plausibility of actually getting Candle never really made much sense just based off the facts:
1) He’s an Ohio native who grew up just a couple hours away from Toledo
2) He’s been at Toledo for 14 years
3) He’s a HC with a 54-32 & 2 MAC Conference titles
4) Toledo went 9-5 last year & won the MAC

Why would a HC take a demotion to become an OC when he’s a winning Coach at his own hometown program?

Obviously, it would’ve been contingent upon him getting fired or not getting an extension at Tol, but in reality it’s an easy play for his agent to leverage the “threat” of going to Miami to get a new contract, which he just did 3 days ago keeping him as the highest paid coach in the MAC.
I Want More GIF

Advertisement
How would you guys feel about Andy Ludwig? @Memnon @Cane6 @CaneTheGaytors @RVACane @TRick72 @Rellyrell ............ And anyone else who wants to chime in. Obviously the guy has been the OC at Utah for the last 4 years and from what I've seen of Utah the guy is a good coach but it's that Mario style. Personally it's not my type of style but if Mario is dead set on running that then you may as well bring in someone like Ludwig who excels at it.

Honestly, that article was a whole bunch of nothing and reckless inuendo. The dude was late to some practices is the only details the source could kinda of say. If there's any truth to it, I'd be more inclined to believe Frost checked out by the end of his tenure baiting them to fire him. The Nebraska program is such a ****show, probably throwing shade at Frost to cover their own ineptitude for the past 2 decades so no one tries to fix the real issue (their admin).

If Mario, Zo and Rad do their due diligence and think Frost is the best man for the job I'll be on board. I cant believe what he did at Oregon and UCF was **** in the wind vs Nebraska. Maybe being an OC is more in his wheelhouse than being a HC, where he can just focus on game planning for his Offense, rather than having to manage an entire program. That's what we have Mario for.

Advertisement
shemar moore swat GIF by CBS

@TRick72

sexy los angeles GIF by CBS

shemar moore swat GIF by CBS

I’m throwing not just the book but the whole **** library at you for this one. That was “crime against humanity” level bad.

Unsolved Mysteries No Pictures GIF by FILMRISE

I’m locking you down to solitary confinement.

Lonely American Horror Story GIF by AHS

@WaterburyCane We’re going to need to secure some more funding from @Andrew and the Maudes to keep these dudes in line and house more of these bad jokesters.
About Time GIF

Joe Biden Yes GIF by The Democrats

Advertisement

Andy Reid’s coaching tree is insane. I remember when he had Kafka as a backup QB with the Eagles.

His coaching tree Rivals that of Mike Holmgren:

- Doug Peterson (SB win)
- Sean McDermott (Bills HC)
- John Harbaugh (SB win)
- Matt Nagy (sorry @Rellyrell)
- Ron Rivera (lost in SB - sorry @OldhamA)
- Pat Schurmur (Not sorry, Giants fans. **** you!!!!! Lol)
- Steve Spagnulo (again, hahahahhaa, **** you Giants!!!!)
- Brad Childress (dude was a ****!!! Gattis like).

Waiting for a few more assistants to get HC jobs (like Eric “sleeping with” Bienemy - @TRick72).

Andy Reid’s coaching tree is insane. I remember when he had Kafka as a backup QB with the Eagles.

His coaching tree Rivals that of Mike Holmgren:

- Doug Peterson (SB win)
- Sean McDermott (Bills HC)
- John Harbaugh (SB win)
- Matt Nagy (sorry @Rellyrell)
- Ron Rivera (lost in SB - sorry @OldhamA)
- Pat Schurmur (Not sorry, Giants fans. **** you!!!!! Lol)
- Steve Spagnulo (again, hahahahhaa, **** you Giants!!!!)
- Brad Childress (dude was a ****!!! Gattis like).

Waiting for a few more assistants to get HC jobs (like Eric “sleeping with” Bienemy - @TRick72).

Reid and Mike shanahan coaching trees are both super impressive.

Advertisement
How would you guys feel about Andy Ludwig? @Memnon @Cane6 @CaneTheGaytors @RVACane @TRick72 @Rellyrell ............ And anyone else who wants to chime in. Obviously the guy has been the OC at Utah for the last 4 years and from what I've seen of Utah the guy is a good coach but it's that Mario style. Personally it's not my type of style but if Mario is dead set on running that then you may as well bring in someone like Ludwig who excels at it.
@FrancisSawyer …just saw your comment.

He wouldn’t be my preferred hire either, but we could do a lot worse. He’s definitely more in line with what Mario would prefer his offense to look like, although I would still prefer an OC that doesn’t try to chew the clock down by keeping the ball for 8:00 or 9:00 minute drives, with limited explosive plays in the passing game.

As witnessed this season in the playoffs once again, even teams like Georgia now are using more of a wide open offense that can strike from anywhere. Kirby Smart realized a couple of years ago (just like Sabag did before him), that to be able to win championships in today’s CFB you’ve gotta be able to spread opposing D’s out and make them cover superior athletes out in space. This creates favorable numbers for the offensive line, and forces defenses to pick their poison.

Even Michigan and TCU (teams which traditionally like to pound the rock), engaged in a wide open, high scoring game in their playoff matchup.

TCU just happened to run into a much more talented and well coached Georgia team that was hitting on all cylinders in the championship game.

I’m still hoping that Mario will have an epiphany and shock the world by hiring an OC that wants to put up 70 points on opposing D’s every time that they set foot on the field. One can dream.

@FrancisSawyer …just saw your comment.

He wouldn’t be my preferred hire either, but we could do a lot worse. He’s definitely more in line with what Mario would prefer his offense to look like, although I would still prefer an OC that doesn’t try to chew the clock down by keeping the ball for 8:00 or 9:00 minute drives, with limited explosive plays in the passing game.

As witnessed this season in the playoffs once again, even teams like Georgia now are using more of a wide open offense that can strike from anywhere. Kirby Smart realized a couple of years ago (just like Sabag did before him), that to be able to win championships in today’s CFB you’ve gotta be able to spread opposing D’s out and make them cover superior athletes out in space. This creates favorable numbers for the offensive line, and forces defenses to pick their poison.

Even Michigan and TCU (teams which traditionally like to pound the rock), engaged in a wide open, high scoring game in their playoff matchup.

TCU just happened to run into a much more talented and well coached Georgia team that was hitting on all cylinders in the championship game.

I’m still hoping that Mario will have an epiphany and shock the world by hiring an OC that wants to put up 70 points on opposing D’s every time that they set foot on the field. One can dream.
I'm right with you man. That's what most of us have been preaching the whole time . This is why I would love to see a Littrell or Kittley hire. Plus on top of the points you just made there are also the issues of recruiting and perception. We all know that Mario is an absolute beast on the trail but I'm referring specifically to QB and WR recruiting. Hiring an OC like Littrell or Kittley would completely change the perception that Mario is living in the Stone Age in terms of offensive philosophy. It would then render all of the negative recruiting against Mario with QBs and WRs completely useless and allow Mario to recruit the elite QBs and WRs that we need to have in order to get where we want to go.

I'm right with you man. That's what most of us have been preaching the whole time . This is why I would love to see a Littrell or Kittley hire. Plus on top of the points you just made there are also the issues of recruiting and perception. We all know that Mario is an absolute beast on the trail but I'm referring specifically to QB and WR recruiting. Hiring an OC like Littrell or Kittley would completely change the perception that Mario is living in the Stone Age in terms of offensive philosophy. It would then render all of the negative recruiting against Mario with QBs and WRs completely useless and allow Mario to recruit the elite QBs and WRs that we need to have in order to get where we want to go.
I agree wholeheartedly with you, but I think that it may take another season or two of our Canes getting their teeth kicked in for Mario to realize that he needs to adapt his offensive philosophy to modern day football.

Hopefully it won’t be too late by then, because two more **** seasons like the one that we were just subjected to and he can kiss all of his recruiting momentum goodbye. I don’t care how good of a recruiter he is. Elite kids want to go to a program that will develop them for the next level, and at this moment in time I can understand why the top WR recruits have told Mario to hit the bricks.

If he can only trust in what he has seen Sabag and Smart do, and follow suit, then I still believe that he has a chance to win big here. But it’s gotta start now. He absolutely CANNOT shut the bed this season. He won’t have the excuse of “having zero talent on the roster” anymore. He has brought in a lot of new players, and a great recruiting class on paper.

Now is the time to strike while the iron is hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back