The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
@FrancisSawyer …just saw your comment.

He wouldn’t be my preferred hire either, but we could do a lot worse. He’s definitely more in line with what Mario would prefer his offense to look like, although I would still prefer an OC that doesn’t try to chew the clock down by keeping the ball for 8:00 or 9:00 minute drives, with limited explosive plays in the passing game.

As witnessed this season in the playoffs once again, even teams like Georgia now are using more of a wide open offense that can strike from anywhere. Kirby Smart realized a couple of years ago (just like Sabag did before him), that to be able to win championships in today’s CFB you’ve gotta be able to spread opposing D’s out and make them cover superior athletes out in space. This creates favorable numbers for the offensive line, and forces defenses to pick their poison.

Even Michigan and TCU (teams which traditionally like to pound the rock), engaged in a wide open, high scoring game in their playoff matchup.

TCU just happened to run into a much more talented and well coached Georgia team that was hitting on all cylinders in the championship game.

I’m still hoping that Mario will have an epiphany and shock the world by hiring an OC that wants to put up 70 points on opposing D’s every time that they set foot on the field. One can dream.
That OC is just on the other side of town... Yost.

Honestly, that article was a whole bunch of nothing and reckless inuendo. The dude was late to some practices is the only details the source could kinda of say. If there's any truth to it, I'd be more inclined to believe Frost checked out by the end of his tenure baiting them to fire him. The Nebraska program is such a ****show, probably throwing shade at Frost to cover their own ineptitude for the past 2 decades so no one tries to fix the real issue (their admin).

If Mario, Zo and Rad do their due diligence and think Frost is the best man for the job I'll be on board. I cant believe what he did at Oregon and UCF was **** in the wind vs Nebraska. Maybe being an OC is more in his wheelhouse than being a HC, where he can just focus on game planning for his Offense, rather than having to manage an entire program. That's what we have Mario for.
I agree and think a lot of the Scott Frost stuff is way overblown for clicks. I'm in the Orlando area and you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that did not like or had anything negative to say about Scott Frost, whether it be students, players, faculty, fans, etc. They were hurt when he left, and would take him back in a heartbeat. I think he threw in the towel in Nebraska the last few months and it gave him this stigma of looking like that all the time. I like a few names on the lists that I've been seeing, but I would not sleep on a Scott Frost hire either.

Advertisement
Between tidbits by national reporters, our insiders and now Mike Ryan today… it appears Mario has struck out on at least two options.

-Candle & Hartline (both who got raises and extensions to stay).
I know someone else mentioned Garrett Riley was approached as well, not enough smoke for me to confirm.
the Candle narrative is being disputed heavily by a poster on Ferman's site who is somehow connected/related to Mirabal.
He says Candle was not approached this time.

Nah man. Some schlub from the WEZ has a better idea of how to ran a CFB progrum than someone who's getting paid millions to do it
Bet he would've actually done a 2 second background/reference check on Gattis before spending $1.8 mil a year on him (he's left every previous staff on very bad terms).

I don't think people really understand just how awful Mario's choice and overall process was last year, and that's only with the OC pick. I'm not even talking about the rest of the staff. These coaches definitely aren't infallible, Mario has made a lot of mistakes since getting to Miami and he doesn't yet get the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Right back at ya with a Jay Fiedler on the roof
@WaterburyCane what does this even mean?

All I know is that dude was a mediocre dolphins QB and I laughed hard as well when my grandpa would be upset and say “he sucks. He looks like a taxi cab with the doors open.” Because of his ears.

Music Video Police GIF by Andrew W. K.

Advertisement

All I know is that dude was a mediocre dolphins QB and I laughed hard as well when my grandpa would be upset and say “he sucks. He looks like a taxi cab with the doors open.” Because of his ears.

Your grandpa is a wise man

That was just another one of Chris Bermans nicknames to match wits with @TRick72 To truly understand these criminals, you have to get inside their minds.

Advertisement
Bet he would've actually done a 2 second background/reference check on Gattis before spending $1.8 mil a year on him (he's left every previous staff on very bad terms).

I don't think people really understand just how awful Mario's choice and overall process was last year, and that's only with the OC pick. I'm not even talking about the rest of the staff. These coaches definitely aren't infallible, Mario has made a lot of mistakes since getting to Miami and he doesn't yet get the benefit of the doubt.
After seeing the hiring process last year, I have no idea how some of these guys are so confident that Mario is going to make the right choice now. I mean, hopefully he’s learned from his mistakes and hits the mark this time but I’m not just going to assume he hits a home run with the next hire.

I am 100% convinced that @San Amaro Dr @Fatboycane and myself could score 24 pts in college football lol. The rules are so skewed to the O.

Also the most amazing thing about our offense was, how did we not get a single bust on D that lead to a long TD for us. Like not 1. At least twice a season, you can fall into a 70 yd play. Heck we did that on D twice a game.

Advertisement
Feldman is usually pretty connected with Mario. Could be some nuggets here.

I enjoy this podcast - they put out a good product.

Listening to this, it sounds like Bruce Feldmann isn't optimistic Mario moves quickly again. He mentions how frustrating it is for his candidates too - the long , drawn out process keeps them hanging and as a result, he loses good guys. They raise the question of why it took so long to get rid of Gattis - not even a veiled reference to possible off field issues, which isn't surprising. Feldmann also says Mario isn't likely to change his offensive philosophy much, if at all.

Your determinations are so much better than that predecessor of yours, DingleburyCane and his stoolie, Poopoo. Ask @TRick72.

766EA2FE-9CFA-486A-A02A-B8EAA63CAA97.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back