The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Dan Mullen wants the job, why isn't it a done deal? Seems like the biggest no-brainer.
The biggest no brainer on planet earth by far! The most perfect fit of all-time for our athletes! With the OL they are building there would be nothing on planet earth that anybody could do to stop them! This O would absolutely off the charts lethal with Mullen coaching O and Mario and company recruiting. That O uses both pocket passers and dual threats well. Adjusts well to both types of QB's. The perfect fit for Miami! That is the reason I would be willing to wait for Philly to play their Super Bowl if Brian Johnson was the choice, if I can't have Mullen or Herman.

Advertisement
I actually really really like Jason Candle the OC circa Logan Woodside. Those 2016-17 offenses were wide open and creative, very McVay-esque. Way different from the zone-read/cut the field in half stuff he ran with Finn last year.

I'll do some more film diving but the little I've watched from BEFORE Candle became HC was very encouraging. Naturally you can't just throw out his body of work since then as head coach/playcaller which has been somewhat pedestrian, but I believe TVD is way closer to Woodside than Finn, and Candle the OC could get a lot out of him.

Advertisement
Whatever credibility caneville had in the past has basically been pi$$ed away with the childish behavior and incessant flip-flopping last few days.

I’m also hoping it’s Frost (or Mullen) over Candle, but I think y’all are also treating him like he’s another Gattis. He’s a lot better than Gattis and actually adapts to his personnel; should have us averaging at worst 27 ppg.

However, like many have said before…he’s a fringe Top 5 candidate in potential OC options…but who knows what our actual candidate Pool looks like.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Starting to do a little poking around on Candle and learn more

Interesting stat. Toledo finished 86th last year in penalties. 2021 and 2020….both years Toledo finished dead last…most penalties of any D1 school.

Now I don’t know how many of those penalties were on O vs D and how much blame you put on the coach as opposed to the field coaches. But at the least, his teams seem to play undisciplined.
american football flag GIF by ransport

Absolutely!!

I will go in the record and say that I don’t dig Candle at all. To me, he’s like the 5th best option out there.

It’s all relative I guess, however, in terms of who’s actually interested.

My #1 is Mullen. Whipple #2 Frost is #3. Then a battle between Candle and someone like Cam Turner with me giving Cam the edge.

If it is Candle, I pray and will root for him to prove me wrong.

ATTENTION:

I actually ran into @PIPO at Blue Sky Food By Da Pound earlier this evening. He was so relieved to see me as apparently his wife seized his phone and laptop (for reasons we won't go into here) but he was very anxious to clarify this post.

The "Whipple" he prefers is Chip Whipple- the OC and AD at Towson State. He's the brother of Mark and tio of Spencer. BOTH Ben Roethlisberger and Kyler Murray swear by his Miracle Whip offense.

I too would be in love with a Chip Whip hire.

That is all. Carry on.

Whatever credibility caneville had in the past has basically been pi$$ed away with the childish behavior and incessant flip-flopping last few days.

I’m also hoping it’s Frost (or Mullen) over Candle, but I think y’all are also treating him like he’s another Gattis. He’s a lot better than Gattis and actually adapts to his personnel; should have us averaging at worst 27 ppg.

However, like many have said before…he’s a fringe Top 5 candidate in potential OC options…but who knows what our actual candidate Pool looks like.

Only thing I’m gonna say

If John Ruiz is not involved in this process

Caneville sure as shiet has no reliable Intel

When was that ever not their shtick?

Advertisement
Mario's apparent* infatuation with Candle is kind of strange. Is there any scenario where Candle offers Mario a spot on HIS staff and the big guy takes it?

Honey, we're going to Ohio! There's this dude there that I KNOW is destined for greatness!

Advertisement
You can still run the Pistol with a pocket passer, it’s just more effective with a running QB.

How long do you think it will take TVD to learn another new offense?

Of the rumored candidates which do you feel would implement the fasted turnaround given TVD is cemented as starter with no true backup?

I wonder if Mario reached out to Mullen. I don’t like the guy, but he is a weirdo. He brings the edge too. Guy is not scared. My #1 is Mullin too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back