The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Everyone going round and round in this thread. At the end of the day, @Cribby has been silent for a reason. Nobody really knows anything and we just need to wait. It's difficult but that's just the way MC does it. If he makes a homerun hire, an extra 2 or 3 weeks won't really make a difference.
Exactly pre-spring recruiting is over so any boost we could have gotten there was missed. At this point we know it will be before spring practice starts.

I don’t think he’s coming but I am so confused about the candle stuff in general

A head coach who goes 9-5 in the MAC, overall successful and just signed an extension (on top of having roots in the northeast) leaving for an OC job is unprecedented I feel
The thing that is going to make it viable going forward is coordinator pay has exploded at P5 level. Add in success at P5 won’t slow their trajectory. Especially true for lower G5 leagues

I don’t think he’s coming but I am so confused about the candle stuff in general

A head coach who goes 9-5 in the MAC, overall successful and just signed an extension (on top of having roots in the northeast) leaving for an OC job is unprecedented I feel
His extension was a $100k paycut in base salary with incentive bonuses. He'd probably get a significant pay-bump in base salary at UM, and if he's successful at UM he's probably looking at a P5 HC gig in 2-3 years. **** I think his new buyout is only $900k.

Remember, Toledo had just hired a new AD when Mario was pursuing Candle last year. He's had a year to work with him now, maybe there's something there as as to why he may be willing to leave this time around? Just spitballing.

Totally unrelated but I forgot how good Katy Mixon looked in S1 of E&D.

640full-katy-mixon.jpg

Advertisement
So what’s the consensus on Candle as a candidate? I thought he was pretty universally respected as a legit offensive mind - am I wrong?
The big positives for him are he seems to adapt to personnel quite well and his offenses are usually well balanced. But his team's have pretty inconsistent production offensively too it seems so its not easy to decipher is that solely on him and his scheme/play calling or does the Toledo G5 talent limit what he can do to an extent.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Candle is interesting. On the one hand it’s exciting because I think anything will be better than what we had. On the other hand, lots of Toledo fans (I’m a MAC guy myself) think he’s underperformed considering the resources and recruits he had. That said, his offenses were always good so maybe he’s just a better OC than HC. He also recruits Florida very well. We’ll see what happens. Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back