The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Ryan Ruiz in the latest Dan LeBatard Show about Gattis and Miami's new OC search:

- They pull the trigger on Gattis three weeks ago;
- Ponce went back to App State because Mario told him he wouldn’t be the choice at OC;
- The waiting was caused by the attempt to find a soft landing spot for everyone;
- There was a real struggle to connect between Gattis and the players, also no chemistry with the other coaches on staff;
- Last year Mario tried hard to get Tommy Reese, Liam Coen and Jason Candle before hiring Gattis;
- Jason Candle said no again this year before extending with Toledo;
- No change in offensive philosophy, power spread confirmed;
- No Kingsbury;
- Scott Frost is a candidate but he (Mike Ryan) seems to confirm some of the rumors out of Nebraska about is lifestyle;
- Mario loves the Rams offense;
- He (Mike Ryan) likes Arroyo, I didn't understand if he thinks or knows that Arroyo is a candidate;
- Gattis buyout was not an issue (2 million);

Nothing groundbreaking imho, many of those things are the same that we read on here from our insiders/connected posters.
Line 5 & 7 should let you guys know to shift your focus in the type OC’s yall keep posting in here... Just for future references.

Advertisement
Oh I don’t disagree with anything you said, I’m just saying they were still good coaches while having way more severe off-field issues than what Scott allegedly underwent.

Ed O definitely could have been fired sooner lol. But he was still a solid coach despite the problems.

It’s relatively mute since we’re not comparing apples to apples, I’m just saying it’s not a unique situation. Plus the Administration now is certainly more sensitive on such matters, especially after Gattis.
I saw Ed O snort cocaine off a tortoise’s *** at Miami Seaquarium while banging a dolphin and fingering a hooker at the same time……………

Ok - I made that up butttttttttttt, it probably did happen.

That dude was a crazy **** down here in Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am with you in the concerns. Mario, Zo and Mario can do all of the vetting they want and still get duped. Missing meetings, being drunk, not recruiting or returning calls, etc is some serious **** in this world.

The stories out of Nebraska were outright “holy ****” type and coming out of this Gattis debacle, I would be really nervous.

Mario has to get this hire right. So if this is the guy, I am going to be a nervous guy with this guy here, in the city of Miami.

Saban has his program in a specific point with a lot of success and history where he can take the Frost risk and be fine whether it works or not.

Mario is not anywhere near that sorry free scenario.
Hiring Frost would be awesome - either he'd succeed and the offence would be great, or he'd fail due to his vices and the car crash would be entertaining.

Lets Ride GIF by Giphy QA

People deserve second chances and the ability to prove they’ve overcome poor decisions in regards to Frost. However, that place probably shouldn’t be in Miami especially considering the importance of making the right hire this time around. He’d be a boom or bust type when we need good and reliable imo. I do like his O though. I wish would could convince Candle. Id also go all in on Litrell

Advertisement
Candle’s raise and contract extension came at a pretty opportune time. Maybe that was just a coincidence ?

Advertisement
Mike Ryan Ruiz in the latest Dan LeBatard Show about Gattis and Miami's new OC search:

- Ponce went back to App State because Mario told him he wouldn’t be the choice at OC;
- The waiting was caused by the attempt to find a soft landing spot for everyone;
- There was a real struggle to connect between Gattis and the players, also no chemistry with the other coaches on staff;
- Last year Mario tried hard to get Tommy Reese, Liam Coen and Jason Candle before hiring Gattis;
- No Kingsbury;
- Scott Frost is a candidate but he (Mike Ryan) seems to confirm some of the rumors out of Nebraska about is lifestyle;
- He (Mike Ryan) likes Arroyo, I didn't understand if he thinks or knows that Arroyo is a candidate;

Nothing groundbreaking imho, many of those things are the same that we read on here from our insiders/connected posters.

0335D7C4-0F80-4FED-B174-31E29B22C4F4.gif

Advertisement

- No Kingsbury;

Interesting, there really aren't a lot of slam dunk OC options available right now. Garrett Riley was close to one but he went to Clemson. It's why hiring an offensive minded HC is the trend because you always have someone to run your offense. It's a lot more difficult to hire an OC then DC.

Show your work for me. How’d you get to this conclusion? I’m curious.

It's the logical choice for Cristobal.

Cristobal reiterated he's committed to the power spread. So that takes a lot of candidates off the board.

Cristobal made the mistake of not considering chemistry when hiring his OC. He knows Arroyo and worked with him for several years.

Cristobal doesn't want someone who hasn't called plays. There is no doubt Arroyo designed the Ducks O and called plays (questions on how much Gattis was responsible for his offense at Michigan).

And Cristobal wants to be a CEO, which means giving the offense to someone who can basically function as a HC. Arroyo had D1 HC experience.

Why would Cristobal take the risk on an OC coach with character issues like Frost, when he can get a OC without any character red flags who helped Cristobal to his most successful season ever as a HC?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back