The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
But what does power spread even mean? Does it mean more gap schemes? If that’s the case than Riley is a gap scheme guy (counter is his favorite play), Briles likes to run a lot of gap scheme stuff (Fold/Dart, 1 back power etc)
Power Spread is just a fake name like Spread Coast, but I suspect what Mario wants to run is a McVay-esque offense: 1 back, tight splits with lots of bunch and stacked WR, outside zone/duo run game. Combine with some concepts from the original "Power Spread" at Clemson (H-back, TE heavy sets). Honestly Frost and Mullen are two Power Spread coaches from the college game, IMO - though I doubt either will be our OC next year.

It's the logical choice for Cristobal.

Cristobal reiterated he's committed to the power spread. So that takes a lot of candidates off the board.

Cristobal made the mistake of not considering chemistry when hiring his OC. He knows Arroyo and worked with him for several years.

Cristobal doesn't want someone who hasn't called plays. There is no doubt Arroyo designed the Ducks O and called plays (questions on how much Gattis was responsible for his offense at Michigan).

And Cristobal wants to be a CEO, which means giving the offense to someone who can basically function as a HC. Arroyo had D1 HC experience.

Why would Cristobal take the risk on an OC coach with character issues like Frost, when he can get a OC without any character red flags who helped Cristobal to his most successful season ever as a HC?

I Get It Now Season 1 GIF by SHOWTIME

Feldman is usually pretty connected with Mario. Could be some nuggets here.

It was the usual stuff. They talked about Mario's history of offensive issues. But the main takeaway is that they believe Mario is married to a specific type of offense.

Seems like a lot of media guys are predicting doom and gloom on offense until proven otherwise.

Advertisement
Marcus Arroyo was fired on Nov 28

Gattis has been fired for a few weeks, but officially on Jan 27

It’s been three calendar days since Gattis was fired….. so you dumdums screaming Arroyo as the top choice, why hasn’t he been hired by now???

Arroyo may very well be a candidate, but I can promise you he’s not at the top of the list of targets

200.gif

Going to start warming up for my victory lap soon

Was anyone else really impressed with Collin Klein at ksu. Not saying he’d ever be a candidate but that offense worked

Advertisement
Can anyone enlighten me to what kind of offense Seth Littrell runs?

Seems to be a popular name from fans but I don't know much about him compared to the other names being thrown around.

Jeff Van Grundy was on the Ryen Russlllo show a couple weeks ago saying pretty much the same thing about the NBA. He said he always laughs when he hears the announcers talk about half time adjustments. He says, if something isn’t working, no coach waits till half time to try to fix the issue…they do it on the spot.

Great episode by the way.

Sean Payton said the same thing on Cowherd's show. Said half time adjustments are a myth - adjustments are made in-game, on the fly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I want Spencer Whipple on this OC staff as a pass game coordinator or in some capacity. He has worked in multiple systems and would be a good get!
Only OC candidate that he has a history with is Liam Coen (UMass), but that dude was just hired back by Kentucky

Advertisement
Can anyone enlighten me to what kind of offense Seth Littrell runs?

Seems to be a popular name from fans but I don't know much about him compared to the other names being thrown around.

Space and numbers advantage are the focus.

He also likes to spread touches around in both rushing and receiving

For instance in 2022 North Texas had three guys over 500 rush yds; two guys over 750 rush yds.

Even more distribution in rec yards —— 7 players over 330 rec yds. Top two were around 650. Their QB threw for 33 pass TDs

He came up under Mike Leach, Kevin Wilson and Larry Fedora

Mike Ryan Ruiz in the latest Dan LeBatard Show about Gattis and Miami's new OC search:

- They pull the trigger on Gattis three weeks ago;
- Ponce went back to App State because Mario told him he wouldn’t be the choice at OC;
- The waiting was caused by the attempt to find a soft landing spot for everyone;
- There was a real struggle to connect between Gattis and the players, also no chemistry with the other coaches on staff;
- Last year Mario tried hard to get Tommy Reese, Liam Coen and Jason Candle before hiring Gattis;
- Jason Candle said no again this year before extending with Toledo;
- No change in offensive philosophy, power spread confirmed;
- No Kingsbury;
- Scott Frost is a candidate but he (Mike Ryan) seems to confirm some of the rumors out of Nebraska about is lifestyle;
- Mario loves the Rams offense;
- He (Mike Ryan) likes Arroyo, I didn't understand if he thinks or knows that Arroyo is a candidate;
- Gattis buyout was not an issue (2 million);

Nothing groundbreaking imho, many of those things are the same that we read on here from our insiders/connected posters.
I genuinely respect Mike giving us the sign to check out on the program for the next 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back