The Mike Leach Fan club

This season is the definition of Mike Leach.

In hindsight, the man should have an undefeated team going into the Conference Title game, but has some absolute bombs (not just one, multiple). He had no business with this team (which is actually pretty good) getting the brakes blown off by Cal. He lost Falk in the game, but they shouldn't have been steamrolled late by Arizona, and he should have been at worst, competitive in the Apple Cup.

I actually really like Leach, but I like Leach more on another team that will never cross streams with us. I can just like the guy from afar as an asset to college football and not have to be invested in his production.
Good team based on what derivative? Their recruiting classes? Again, Urban Meyer is up there in Saban territory for coaching ability, yet OSU was blown out TWICE with top 5 recruiting classes.

That's never mentioned, but Mike Leach, with his 10th out of 12[PAC12] ranked recruiting class is always held accountable for blunders as if it's indicative of his ability to coach.

Advertisement
If you're a fan of him but not because of his Coaching you're proving my point.

He's not even overrated because in the 6 years he's been at Wash St there have been dozens of better jobs that have been available & no other programs ever even express interest in the guy, except as the 4th or 5th option.

He's an average Coach, there's nothing impressive about what he's done & there's no real reason why Canes fans should love him so much.

Which is why I made this thread lol. Like I said, his losses this season have all been blowouts, but it doesn't matter if his teams get demolished, as long as he says some stupid **** in press conferences his fans will ride with him.

I'll stick with Mark Richt, the right man is at the helm. BTW Saban got beat.

In hindsight, the man should have an undefeated team going into the Conference Title game, but has some absolute bombs (not just one, multiple). He had no business with this team (which is actually pretty good) getting the brakes blown off by Cal. He lost Falk in the game, but they shouldn't have been steamrolled late by Arizona, and he should have been at worst, competitive in the Apple Cup.

I actually really like Leach, but I like Leach more on another team that will never cross streams with us. I can just like the guy from afar as an asset to college football and not have to be invested in his production.
Good team based on what derivative? Their recruiting classes? Again, Urban Meyer is up there in Saban territory for coaching ability, yet OSU was blown out TWICE with top 5 recruiting classes.

That's never mentioned, but Mike Leach, with his 10th out of 12[PAC12] ranked recruiting class is always held accountable for blunders as if it's indicative of his ability to coach.

#15 defense in the country - 40th in Run D, 8th in Pass D, 48th in scoring D...these are some high marks for a Leach team D. 11th in sacks.
QB that is considered a legit NFL prospect (mid-round prospect, but he's a pro player) with the #3 passing game in the country. OL is shaky, if not BAD, to be fair.
I like their RB, Morrow, but they haven't been very productive (however, have been impactful, see the USC game), mostly a by product of - outside of Cody O'Connell - a bad OL.

So, why are they a good team? Top pass offense and a top defense should have yielded a better season (lets not act like 9-3 is bad, FWIW). Especially seeing where their losses came, its a disappointing season because this is one of the better Leach led teams at both Wazzu and TTech.

Do not take credence to a good amount of what posters say. They bring up leach simply to stir up controversy. This forum is to be entertained as if at a movie. It's far from being a barometer of the majority of our fan base. Read messages, chuckle, then move on to reality.

#15 defense in the country - 40th in Run D, 8th in Pass D, 48th in scoring D...these are some high marks for a Leach team D. 11th in sacks.
QB that is considered a legit NFL prospect (mid-round prospect, but he's a pro player) with the #3 passing game in the country. OL is shaky, if not BAD, to be fair.
I like their RB, Morrow, but they haven't been very productive (however, have been impactful, see the USC game), mostly a by product of - outside of Cody O'Connell - a bad OL.

So, why are they a good team? Top pass offense and a top defense should have yielded a better season (lets not act like 9-3 is bad, FWIW). Especially seeing where their losses came, its a disappointing season because this is one of the better Leach led teams at both Wazzu and TTech.
You're reading off numbers from a team riddled with recruits that weren't highly sought after by other schools. This is evident based on their Recruiting class rankings. When you look at those numbers, that should speak volumes about Leach's ability to field a team capable of playing beyond their abilities. Miami this year, for example, was bailed out by sheer talent alone when coaching and execution was stagnant. When you look at a team Like Washington State, most of those guys are playing beyond their means from the start. With the certainty of different players having bad games in college football, the talent isn't there to rival most other teams in the PAC-12. With Leach's system, and his middle of the road players, you have to rely on all 11 guys playing out their body for 60 minutes. A sluggish game for a key player can disrupt the entire offense.

Personally, I don't think there is anything Leach could do better with the apples you're dealt coaching a school like that.

Advertisement

He's not even overrated because in the 6 years he's been at Wash St there have been dozens of better jobs that have been available & no other programs ever even express interest in the guy, except as the 4th or 5th option.

He's an average Coach, there's nothing impressive about what he's done & there's no real reason why Canes fans should love him so much.

Which is why I made this thread lol. Like I said, his losses this season have all been blowouts, but it doesn't matter if his teams get demolished, as long as he says some stupid **** in press conferences his fans will ride with him.

I don't see Leach ever leaving Washington St. He's surpassed expectations and I don't believe they've ever had the success consistently that they're having while under Leach currently. Some coaches just aren't meant to go to the Alabama's, USC, Ohio St., Texas, Miami, FSU, etc.. programs. Some are meant to go to programs that have a certain ceiling like Kansas St. and stay there.

Refer to my last post... JW... Urban Meyer's losses have been blow outs this year too, with Top 5 recruiting classes dating back to 2012 with the exception of one 7th ranked class. Is he still not one of the best active coaches in College Football? Is he still one of the most scummy coaches in CFB history? Your answer should be yes to both.

The problem is the consistency issues with Leach's offense and team in general. Also, he's lost to FCS schools multiple times - that's alarming. Yes, great coaches like Meyer and Saban have lost. But Leach's losses or more glaring.

I don't understand the nature or reasoning for the OP? Who here has been shilling for Leach? I haven't read a single post about him yet somehow you want to raise this ridiculous strawman and beat it to what end?

Personally, I'd love to see what Leach could do here with the talent available in southern Florida and the resources of Miami at his disposal. But it's not gonna happen and I don't understand the need to trash the guy.

Big time Leach to Tennessee rumors floating out there right now.

Would be an absolute perfect mix of toxic fans and toxic coach.

Advertisement

Refer to my last post... JW... Urban Meyer's losses have been blow outs this year too, with Top 5 recruiting classes dating back to 2012 with the exception of one 7th ranked class. Is he still not one of the best active coaches in College Football? Is he still one of the most scummy coaches in CFB history? Your answer should be yes to both.

The problem is the consistency issues with Leach's offense and team in general. Also, he's lost to FCS schools multiple times - that's alarming. Yes, great coaches like Meyer and Saban have lost. But Leach's losses or more glaring.
the talent disparity between WSU and those FCS schools aren't as significant as you'd like to believe.

Leach to Tennessee??? I would hate living here in TN, having a first hand look at the success he'd have

I don't understand the nature or reasoning for the OP? Who here has been shilling for Leach? I haven't read a single post about him yet somehow you want to raise this ridiculous strawman and beat it to what end?

Personally, I'd love to see what Leach could do here with the talent available in southern Florida and the resources of Miami at his disposal. But it's not gonna happen and I don't understand the need to trash the guy.

You haven't been here long..... There were a **** load of post for Leech to come here... **** during this yr his minions we slurping him. Look it up

Advertisement

You haven't been here long..... There were a **** load of posts for Leech to come here... **** during this yr his minions were slurping him. Look it up

He's good for Washington state and mid level teams

Never won a division let alone a conference

(He tied for a division once but lost the tiebreaker)

No real accomplishments ever other than interviews

Wow he won 9 games at a piece of crap program that averaged 1.75 wins a year in the 4 seasons before he arrived?

He's got his team ranked and going to their 4th bowl game in 5 years after that program hadn't gone to one in the 8 seasons before he got there?

You really showed how bad Leach is great thread.

Wazzu had won big before Leach. Mike Price took the Cougs to TWO Rose Bowls, and at one point, they were the most successful Pac-12 program over a 5 year stretch. Doba and Wulff ran the program into the ground, but let's stop pretending that Washington State is some program that had never seen significant success. Leach is doing what he did at TTU: Build a pathetically weak OOC schedule, steal one game against an opponent worth a crap, and then beat MOST of the teams you should beat. Then again, getting jailhoused by Cal, and Arizona(I covered that one, Wazzu was outclassed by a team with middling talent outside of Tate).

Advertisement
I hope he never stops coaching. Always good for hilarious overhype by the cupcake fans who have no clue about foundational football.

Leach again occupied his typical spot of dead last in the nation in rushing attempts per game...more than 3 per game fewer than next to last New Mexico State.

Yeah, that's the blueprint you want to run the table at a big time program. What could possibly go wrong?

I do give credit to Leach for fortifying the defense this year, even if it's undoubtedly short term and mostly irrelevant. They have a few legitimately talented defenders. He found a soft spot in the Pac 12 this year because only Washington had a top defense otherwise. Some of the more typically defensive minded teams like Stanford and Utah were down this year.

I wouldn't expect this type of success to repeat. Boise State self destructed and threw away a 21 point lead in the middle of the fourth quarter, allowing Washington State to escape. In sampling the USC and Stanford message boards the fans are incredibly irritated that they blew tight games at Pullman in the fourth quarter, saying it wouldn't happen again. USC fans were desperately hoping to meet Washington State and not Stanford in the Pac 12 title game.

I hope he never stops coaching. Always good for hilarious overhype by the cupcake fans who have no clue about foundational football.

Leach again occupied his typical spot of dead last in the nation in rushing attempts per game...more than 3 per game fewer than next to last New Mexico State.

Yeah, that's the blueprint you want to run the table at a big time program. What could possibly go wrong?

I do give credit to Leach for fortifying the defense this year, even if it's undoubtedly short term and mostly irrelevant. They have a few legitimately talented defenders. He found a soft spot in the Pac 12 this year because only Washington had a top defense otherwise. Some of the more typically defensive minded teams like Stanford and Utah were down this year.

I wouldn't expect this type of success to repeat. Boise State self destructed and threw away a 21 point lead in the middle of the fourth quarter, allowing Washington State to escape. In sampling the USC and Stanford message boards the fans are incredibly irritated that they blew tight games at Pullman in the fourth quarter, saying it wouldn't happen again. USC fans were desperately hoping to meet Washington State and not Stanford in the Pac 12 title game.

Alex Grinch made himself quite a bit of money this year as either a highly sought after assistant or even as a potential HC at a lower tier school (maybe even Leach's replacement?).

Wow he won 9 games at a piece of crap program that averaged 1.75 wins a year in the 4 seasons before he arrived?

He's got his team ranked and going to their 4th bowl game in 5 years after that program hadn't gone to one in the 8 seasons before he got there?

You really showed how bad Leach is great thread.
Mike Price had 4 9/10 win seasons, 2 conference championships & 2 Rose Bowls during the 90's & the early 00's.

Wash St was not a destitute program before him.

Advertisement
Back