The maturing of Manny

Players do two things:
1. What they are coached to do.
2. What they are allowed to do.

You pick the choice.
Well we know that bull**** lol..no player is coached to jump off sides. No player is coached to get targeting penalties. No player is coached to drop punts. No player is coached to throw ints. No player is coached to fumble the ball...so when u see a player blow an assignment that happens EVERYWHERE..nothing in football is gunna be perfect. it’s called overcoming adversity . Those two plays we live to harp did not ultimately lose the either game..ultimately the buck stops with the HC cause he’s getting that check

Advertisement
Excuses are the monuments of nothingness; they build bridges to nowhere ...
1594775506885.gif

I always liked Manny- even after last season (yes I said that). He inherited a just ok team and his offensive coordinator sucked balls 9 his hire- hiring so that was on him). He got rid of that and was quick to address coaching issues- something we have not done in 20 years...However he is passionate about his kids and they seem to respond to him. Recruiting is the best it has been since early 2000’s if we count transfers And consecutive classes assuming we keep this class together. Staff assembled is also strong and we are getting Miami studs again- the simple yet proven formula that won us many ships. He is young so if he wins look out bc we will have something cooking again here at last.

Without singling out the differences Manny is one year older and one year wiser. He is doing all the things now he needs to do to get Miami in a winning place. I had my doubts he seemed more like a cheerleader and thought he could will the Miami mystique and parlay that into victories. Never did I think he could transition to a top college coach but he has realized you need great coaches and modern like schemes and players he had to get to run those schemes. He has recommitted to the thinking that we must get the great South Florida kids and he is on his way. What I am saying here is what we all are thinking. And this op is convinced and excited something I was not a year ago. Manny seemed over his head but now he seems grounded and has potential to be one of the best. Adversity can be what ultimately drives you down or make you adjust open your mind and think out of the box...we shall see.
I agree with everything you said. But I do think the next step for Manny is to prepare his team to dominate and crush inferior opponents by exploiting their weaknesses. He got badly outcoached by teams that we were picked to stump in the ground. I remember the guys calling the games were baffled as to why Miami never attacked the defenses weak link that the games before were toasted by inferior teams then Miami.

Game day coaching wire to wire is all Manny needing to get better at. So far he's making all the right call and adjustments off the field. So this gives me hope. Go Canes!!

I am pulling for Manny. He certainly opened his UM HC position with a lot of enthusiasm.

But Manny broke the First Rule of Boul****ting.

NEVER start believing your own Boulschitt.

So far this year - he seems to have gotten that part under control - and is busy working the problems.

Good for him - good for us - good for UM Football.

Advertisement
I'd agree with this sentiment if he let go of his DC last year too. The transfers picked up, and coaches changes are manny making up for mistakes he made and recruits he couldnt land.

We appreciate Manny accepting that Enos was a colassol failure and not forcing him on the team for another minute just to save face. But, let's not forget, he hired Enos, and the bums he brought with him, in the first place. He also had a defensive staff the appears to still be learning on the job and not exactly improving.

A true sign of maturity would be Manny bringing on experienced coaches, support staff, etc even if they were more qualified than him. Not hiring your buddies to coach your defense as one of their first P5 jobs.

We have CIS members close to the current program?..as far as his recruiting, I think that’s overstated a tad bit..he’s pulled a 4star in every class since he’s been here..it hasn’t been as bad as it’s been made out to be..everyone in that CB rotation will be a 4star this upcoming szn..we act like we have mike Williams, davon Johnson, and lee chambers getting snaps with Alonzo highsmith jr and kacey Rogers playing single High🤷🏾‍♂️..so I’ve seen worse..could it be better, yes. But I’d say there’s a greater chance of it being worse then us pulling LSU CB classes annually

All but 2 corners have been 4 stars

Advertisement
I'd agree with this sentiment if he let go of his DC last year too. The transfers picked up, and coaches changes are manny making up for mistakes he made and recruits he couldnt land.

We appreciate Manny accepting that Enos was a colassol failure and not forcing him on the team for another minute just to save face. But, let's not forget, he hired Enos, and the bums he brought with him, in the first place. He also had a defensive staff the appears to still be learning on the job and not exactly improving.

A true sign of maturity would be Manny bringing on experienced coaches, support staff, etc even if they were more qualified than him. Not hiring your buddies to coach your defense as one of their first P5 jobs.
What’s the beef with everyone bout the defense? You have to bring your guys as a DC who you have coached with that you KNOW can run your defense and Manny did that and the results have been great. We’ve had a top ranked defense each year he has been here and a bunch of poor offenses who cannot sustain a drive. After he became head coach keeping the defense intact was a good thing because if it ain’t broke.... He picked his DC well IMO because you cannot go get a Charlie strong or even a Randy Shannon or muschamp because they’re more experienced than you and it could be difficult for them to run YOUR defense and not theirs. Politics will always be involved. Baker did well, but will improve next year. Grooming your replacement is the way to go.

I recently watch a interview with Sapp talking about the rock that he was good at "Acting" like a football player. My concern with Diaz being a son of a politician and spending time at ESPN processing tape he understands hmhow to look like a coach and knows how to make believe he might be a good one. But when players see what behind the curtain they might be disappointed.

I recently watch a interview with Sapp talking about the rock that he was good at "Acting" like a football player. My concern with Diaz being a son of a politician and spending time at ESPN processing tape he understands hmhow to look like a coach and knows how to make believe he might be a good one. But when players see what behind the curtain they might be disappointed.

I think he often comes across as inauthentic and sounds like he won some time at Miami as a coaching fantasy camp. He states the obvious but he’s not demanding enough. If he was you’d see a more disciplined team. He talks about playing like a Miami hurricane but doesn’t seem to demand the way to get things done.

Advertisement
Players do two things:
1. What they are coached to do.
2. What they are allowed to do.
You can’t be serious. If you honestly believe that DJ Ivey was told by the coaches to NOT cover his man, you are on crack. You can’t blame every player error on bad coaching.

Without a doubt, Manny is one of the GOAT's of the offseason when only potential counts

His problem remains his maturity and performance in the regular season when you must actually show results.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said. But I do think the next step for Manny is to prepare his team to dominate and crush inferior opponents by exploiting their weaknesses. He got badly outcoached by teams that we were picked to stump in the ground. I remember the guys calling the games were baffled as to why Miami never attacked the defenses weak link that the games before were toasted by inferior teams then Miami.

Game day coaching wire to wire is all Manny needing to get better at. So far he's making all the right call and adjustments off the field. So this gives me hope. Go Canes!!

Seems like Manny is more involved on the defensive side of the ball, and left the offense to Enos. Enos system, compounded with Williams IDGAF attitude made it impossible to overcome. It reminded me of when Shannon was coaching, and the offensive system was so ineffective, it was obvious they couldn't score.

Advertisement
What’s the beef with everyone bout the defense? You have to bring your guys as a DC who you have coached with that you KNOW can run your defense and Manny did that and the results have been great. We’ve had a top ranked defense each year he has been here and a bunch of poor offenses who cannot sustain a drive. After he became head coach keeping the defense intact was a good thing because if it ain’t broke.... He picked his DC well IMO because you cannot go get a Charlie strong or even a Randy Shannon or muschamp because they’re more experienced than you and it could be difficult for them to run YOUR defense and not theirs. Politics will always be involved. Baker did well, but will improve next year. Grooming your replacement is the way to go.
Agreed people forget this in coaching. Most rookie Hcs aren’t hiring coordinators with more experience than them lol

Seems like Manny is more involved on the defensive side of the ball, and left the offense to Enos. Enos system, compounded with Williams IDGAF attitude made it impossible to overcome. It reminded me of when Shannon was coaching, and the offensive system was so ineffective, it was obvious they couldn't score.
Yes which was a big mistake but I’m in the middle i do agree with yes it’s time for us to win but Manny has done a good job of fixing most of his mistakes. I 1000% feel better with Lashlee calling plays than Enos. Players seem to want to play for Lashlee Likens and Justice as well

Advertisement
Back