The Draft has shown

2011: 22.2/ppg (34th) / 306.1/ypg (11th) / 17.7 1st down/g (27th) / 2.0 T.O/g (36th)

2012: 29.2/ppg (75th) / 404.2/ypg (69th) / 20.6 1st down/g (54th) / 1.6 T.O/g (78th)

2013: 25.8/ppg (56th) / 407.2/ypg (69th) / 21.2 1st down/g (66th) / 2.0 T.O/g (34th)

Fired after 2013

So it appears Manny’s defense started off hot, then it became smoke and mirrors, even against teams that were finesse. The same problem seem to appear that it was boom or bust, that didn’t allow his team to get off the field.

His d looks a lot different than his Texas days , even the game that got him fired was BYU, it was a spread but power principles. Taysum Hill just ran power right , power left and power middlelike 500 bills of rushing yards.

The power game exposes what he does , finesse offenses tend to struggle . Most of those offenses are very finesse in the big 12.

He did make adjustments this year after Wisconsin last year , more gap integrity staying in their lanes. Which is why our tfl and sack numbers were down. But rush defense was better.

I actually like what manny does on defense for the era we play in. Tfl’s and sacks are huge in defending spread offenses , it’s necessary. It’s just when he runs into a more balance team that’s very physical when the issues hit. Recruiter better and he wouldn’t be as exposed versus those teams.

Advertisement
So... we’re just unlucky. Our recruitment rankings have consistently been better than teams like Charlotte, BC, Wisconsin, Temple, Vanderbilt, Wyoming, App St, TCU, Utah, Dayton, Cincinnati, Arkansas, Iowa, Houston... ect. But - that’s just because we’re falling for the banana in the tail pipe and recruiting all the wrong guys?

They have managed to get guys drafted in the first three rounds because they have more talent?

LMAO. Seriously.

We don’t have a talent issue. We have a motivation and accountability issue. We didn’t lose to FIU, Duke, GT, VT, UNC and ULT because talent. We could not have gone toe to toe with UF if we weren’t talented. We lacked kids you were motivated and held accountable by one another.

We don’t have a talent issue. We have a motivation and accountability issue. We didn’t lose to FIU, Duke, GT, VT, UNC and ULT because talent. We could not have gone toe to toe with UF if we weren’t talented. We lacked kids you were motivated and held accountable by one another.

Coaching. Kids don’t coach themselves up. And all the Ed Reed stories are great, but Butch Davis and his staff were the driving force behind that culture. Jimmy Johnson set the standard on both levels. It didn’t happen by chance with Howard. The kids had to buy in first. It has to be created first and then the kids/men buy into it.

Parameters, messaging and reinforced standards. Once it’s established and reinforced then the kids hold each other accountable.

It starts and ends with coaching. You are right. We don’t have a talent issue.

His d looks a lot different than his Texas days , even the game that got him fired was BYU, it was a spread but power principles. Taysum Hill just ran power right , power left and power middlelike 500 bills of rushing yards.

The power game exposes what he does , finesse offenses tend to struggle . Most of those offenses are very finesse in the big 12.

He did make adjustments this year after Wisconsin last year , more gap integrity staying in their lanes. Which is why our tfl and sack numbers were down. But rush defense was better.

I actually like what manny does on defense for the era we play in. Tfl’s and sacks are huge in defending spread offenses , it’s necessary. It’s just when he runs into a more balance team that’s very physical when the issues hit. Recruiter better and he wouldn’t be as exposed versus those teams.

Time will tell my friend. These are all his recruits now. No more Golden guys so it was he and his staff's eye on every single one of those guys that's now on board. Again, no more excuses.

Time will tell my friend. These are all his recruits now. No more Golden guys so it was he and his staff's eye on every single one of those guys that's now on board. Again, no more excuses.

His defensive recruiting is the concern , especially cb and lb. Lb will look a lot better after this class but still , very meh on his side of the minus DL.

Advertisement
Coaching. Kids don’t coach themselves up. And all the Ed Reed stories are great, but Butch Davis and his staff were the driving force behind that culture. Jimmy Johnson set the standard on both levels. It didn’t happen by chance with Howard. The kids had to buy in first. It has to be created first and then the kids/men buy into it.

Parameters, messaging and reinforced standards. Once it’s established and reinforced then the kids hold each other accountable.

It starts and ends with coaching. You are right. We don’t have a talent issue.

I am not the one to pin all things on coaches. I am a firm believer that players have to want to perform. Ultimately these kids know what they want, they have goals. Yes, coaches and schemes matter but at the end of the day, a player still has to play and beat the man in front of them. They still have to know their playbooks and execute. They still have to hold each other accountable to do the same

His defensive recruiting is the concern , especially cb and lb. Lb will look a lot better after this class but still , very meh on his side of the minus DL.

Well my friend....we can't have it both ways. If you want to run a scheme, you better know the horses you wanna run w. Manny decided he wanted to keep everything as status quo on his side of the ball, and he basically told you, I, and the rest of the fans that there is nothing wrong w/ how his side run things. So therefore, since this is now year 5 for him, there should be no more excuses. These are the guys he recruited, went after, and had them sign on a dotted line. I don't care if it's Rumph, Banda, Patke, or Baker. They are all Manny's guys.

Well my friend....we can't have it both ways. If you want to run a scheme, you better know the horses you wanna run w. Manny decided he wanted to keep everything as status quo on his side of the ball, and he basically told you, I, and the rest of the fans that there is nothing wrong w/ how his side run things. So therefore, since this is now year 5 for him, there should be no more excuses. These are the guys he recruited, went after, and had them sign on a dotted line. I don't care if it's Rumph, Banda, Patke, or Baker. They are all Manny's guys.

Unlike some here I’m good with the d, it had some shaky moments but most defenses do in this era of football. This isn’t the 90’s early 200’s where you just face a pro offense or option. His defenses stay ranked in the 10-25 range for the most part. Defense hasn’t been the biggest issue. I also remember when we were giving up 30-40 weekly with denofrio.

The recruiting at lb and dB must get better if we’re going to the elite level. That’s just facts , no matter how good the scheme is. The cb recruiting has been a **** show since he’s arrived, all time awful numbers at the position.

He has 1st round talent. So have many others that walked through here, but lately our guys seem to slip heading into junior year/ don’t continue to develope.

McIntosh, Joe Jackson, Garvin, etc..

If GR15 was at say OSU he would 100% be a top 5 next draft. Let’s see what happens.

Manny has had his cycle of players (4 years). So far he has shown minimal development. What his highest drafted player here defensively? 4th round? Not gonna cut it
I don't disagree with you. I feel a healthy GR15 that actually gets to play a season this year 🙏 will break the cycle even in spite of Manny, etc

Advertisement
You are talking about Clemson. That’s one team man. Everybody else is garbage. Clemson is elite but that’s it. We have to set the bar higher and stop riding Clemson’s coattail.

And just how many teams did all the $ec picks come from?

I am not the one to pin all things on coaches. I am a firm believer that players have to want to perform. Ultimately these kids know what they want, they have goals. Yes, coaches and schemes matter but at the end of the day, a player still has to play and beat the man in front of them. They still have to know their playbooks and execute. They still have to hold each other accountable to do the same

Man there’s absolutely no need for me to revisit history and talk specifics about individual teams if our fans are going to bury their heads in the sand. It’s really not hard to figure it out.

There is a reason why the SAME players that won FOUR games one year before Dan arrived at Florida - somehow figured out how to “play and beat the man in front of them” well enough to win TEN games the very next year under a better coaching staff - and 11 games in 2019.

It’s not hard to figure out. Starts and ends with coaching. Top to bottom including the S&C staff. Great coaching staffs find a way to get their players to execute!

And just how many teams did all the $ec picks come from?

2020 NFL Draft by conference

• SEC -- 63
  • Big Ten -- 48
  • Pac-12 -- 32
  • ACC -- 27
  • Big 12- 21
  • AAC -- 17
  • Conference USA -- 10
  • Mountain West -- 10
  • Independent -- 9
  • Sun Belt -- 7
  • FCS -- 6
  • Division II/III -- 3
  • MAC -- 2

Advertisement
Man there’s absolutely no need for me to revisit history and talk specifics about individual teams if our fans are going to bury their heads in the sand. It’s really not hard to figure it out.

There is a reason why the SAME players that won FOUR games one year before Dan arrived at Florida - somehow figured out how to “play and beat the man in front of them” well enough to win TEN games the very next year under a better coaching staff - and 11 games in 2019.

It’s not hard to figure out. Starts and ends with coaching. Top to bottom including the S&C staff. Great coaching staffs find a way to get their players to execute!

Once again, I agree that coaches set the tone but the players are the foundation. Teams go when players go. I believe a team with really good players has a better chance to be better than a team with a good coach and bad players. The best teams obviously have both. We all know that the Canes won despite Coker’s liabilities. Example, the 2001-2002 Canes teams won in spite of Coker. Another thing to consider is why good coaches get fired? A great example is coach Brown at UNC. He is obviously a good coach based on what he has done in his previous stint with UNC and at Texas. However, he was fired at Texas and forced to the booth for years. He stopped getting the players and the team suffered. He goes back to UNC and has success. Yes he is a good coach, but also because he had the right players. If he doesn’t have Howell they don’t win games.

Once again, I agree that coaches set the tone but the players are the foundation. Teams go when players go. I believe a team with really good players has a better chance to be better than a team with a good coach and bad players. The best teams obviously have both. We all know that the Canes won despite Coker’s liabilities. Example, the 2001-2002 Canes teams won in spite of Coker. Another thing to consider is why good coaches get fired? A great example is coach Brown at UNC. He is obviously a good coach based on what he has done in his previous stint with UNC and at Texas. However, he was fired at Texas and forced to the booth for years. He stopped getting the players and the team suffered. He goes back to UNC and has success. Yes he is a good coach, but also because he had the right players. If he doesn’t have Howell they don’t win games.

Miami has enough talent to consistently win the Coastal but aren't close to having the talent, or coaching, it takes to compete with the big boys.

Advertisement
2020 NFL Draft by conference

• SEC -- 63
  • Big Ten -- 48
  • Pac-12 -- 32
  • ACC -- 27
  • Big 12- 21
  • AAC -- 17
  • Conference USA -- 10
  • Mountain West -- 10
  • Independent -- 9
  • Sun Belt -- 7
  • FCS -- 6
  • Division II/III -- 3
  • MAC -- 2

The Pac 12 had a whole bunch of teams who would have hammered Miami this season. The ACC is a disgrace outside of Clemson right now. We are the worst Power 5 conference at the moment and that’s a fact.

Advertisement
Back