Boxing The CIS Boxing Thread

GGG? Why? He's 40. There's no point. He win the first fight with Canelo but the judges predictably screwed him. His career is over.
Well he was just about to fight canelo again. He’s not retiring. So let him fight benavidez or Charlo. Both would be fun fights. GGG has an entertaining style to watch. Who cares how old he is , he still beats nearly everyone in the division

Advertisement
**** Oliveria took care of business too. Once he gets you on the ground it’s over against these strikers man
Oliveira has taken some shots in his last few fights, but even if you knock him down, he can still snatch a limb or neck as long as he's awake. Gaethje wasn't even trying to get in there when he had Oliveira down.

Chandler kicking Ferguson's chin into Bolivian got me out of my seat. That was one of the most brutal KOs I've seen in a while

I thought Bivol could win, but didn’t think he’d get a decision over canelo…115-113 is a joke lol basically saying if canelo won the 12th it would’ve been a draw lol just insane but thats boxing for you.

Im not buying the canelo is too small for 175 take, I think his camp thought they had a walk in the park. Canelo is big as **** probably walks around at 180-190. Mal charlo is as big if not bigger than bivol, he’s small for 175. So I don’t think size was a big factor, canelo is just short and got midget arms, if u jab him and move your feet, have enough power to keep him off you, u can beat him. He’s not super talented or skilled like RJJ,Floyd or Duran where he can jump up in weight and out class guys.

I didn’t understand the plan tonight, he came out way more aggressive than he usually does thinking Bivol would fold and ended up being gassed by like the 5th round he was breathing with his mouth open. Canelo landed an uppercut early and bivol took it without a problem and everything shifted after that lol. I don’t think a rematch is necessary for a lopsided fight like this but canelo is the money maker so it probably happens lol.

Mell Charlo vs Castano🔥🔥🔥🔥next week been waiting on this one

I thought Bivol could win, but didn’t think he’d get a decision over canelo…115-113 is a joke lol basically saying if canelo won the 12th it would’ve been a draw lol just insane but thats boxing for you.

Im not buying the canelo is too small for 175 take, I think his camp thought they had a walk in the park. Canelo is big as **** probably walks around at 180-190. Mal charlo is as big if not bigger than bivol, he’s small for 175. So I don’t think size was a big factor, canelo is just short and got midget arms, if u jab him and move your feet, have enough power to keep him off you, u can beat him. He’s not super talented or skilled like RJJ,Floyd or Duran where he can jump up in weight and out class guys.

I didn’t understand the plan tonight, he came out way more aggressive than he usually does thinking Bivol would fold and ended up being gassed by like the 5th round he was breathing with his mouth open. Canelo landed an uppercut early and bivol took it without a problem and everything shifted after that lol. I don’t think a rematch is necessary for a lopsided fight like this but canelo is the money maker so it probably happens lol.

It doesn't matter how big he walks around at. It matters how strong he is at that weight. One of his biggest advantages is he is a powerhouse at super middle weight and just completely bullies people. He completely lost that advantage in this fight and it showed.

Charlo is not as big as Bivol and he is nowhere near as strong.

Your literally disproved your first few sentences with the second half of your post.

You say Canelo is not to small for 175. Then you say "he is too short, with tiny arms" for light heavyweight. Then you said "he doesn't have enough power at LHW, sincehe landed clean on BIvol and didn't do anything to him".

That is exactly why he is too small for 175. He would be very short for LHW. In fact he is pretty short for SMW too. Some of the greatest SMW in recent memory, like Andre Ward, Froch, Kessler, (all the super 6 guys were taller than Canelo and 6 of them were over 6 feet tall). Let alone moving up to 175.

Every weight class Canelo has moved up he has lost more and more of his strength advantage, as is to be expected, and its clear that we learned his limit. Which is SMW. He is nowhere near strong enough to fight at LHW. As you said yourself, since he landed a clean uppercut and it did nothing to Bivol.

Pacman was the exception to the rule and has made a lot of people not understand how difficult it actually is to fight above your weight class.

As far as his strategy was concerned. That was a fine strategy. That is exactly how you fight a taller guy with a good jab. You come out aggressively, try to get im on the ropes and beat him up with hooks and uppercuts. Mexicans have been doing it for decades against taller opponents. Canelo couldn't pull it off, but that was his best option.

How would you recommend he fight Bivol? He couldn't even get past Bivols jab, so there is no way he would fight on the outside or try to counterpunch with him.

Im
It doesn't matter how big he walks around at. It matters how strong he is at that weight. One of his biggest advantages is he is a powerhouse at super middle weight and just completely bullies people. He completely lost that advantage in this fight and it showed.

Charlo is not as big as Bivol and he is nowhere near as strong.

Your literally disproved your first few sentences with the second half of your post.

You say Canelo is not to small for 175. Then you say "he is too short, with tiny arms" for light heavyweight. Then you said "he doesn't have enough power at LHW, sincehe landed clean on BIvol and didn't do anything to him".

That is exactly why he is too small for 175. He would be very short for LHW. In fact he is pretty short for SMW too. Some of the greatest SMW in recent memory, like Andre Ward, Froch, Kessler, (all the super 6 guys were taller than Canelo and 6 of them were over 6 feet tall). Let alone moving up to 175.

Every weight class Canelo has moved up he has lost more and more of his strength advantage, as is to be expected, and its clear that we learned his limit. Which is SMW. He is nowhere near strong enough to fight at LHW. As you said yourself, since he landed a clean uppercut and it did nothing to Bivol.

Pacman was the exception to the rule and has made a lot of people not understand how difficult it actually is to fight above your weight class.

As far as his strategy was concerned. That was a fine strategy. That is exactly how you fight a taller guy with a good jab. You come out aggressively, try to get im on the ropes and beat him up with hooks and uppercuts. Mexicans have been doing it for decades against taller opponents. Canelo couldn't pull it off, but that was his best option.

How would you recommend he fight Bivol? He couldn't even get past Bivols jab, so there is no way he would fight on the outside or try to counterpunch with him.
When i say he’s small i mean just his stature, wingspan and height don’t determine your weight class. He literally fought at 175 before and everybody praised him for it but now he goes up and gets out classed it’s he’s too small lol, bivol out boxed him he wasn’t mauling or leaning on him the whole fight.

If canelo had better footwork he’d be able to box around and counter bivol but he doesn’t, he always relies on his plan A and when it doesn’t work he gets boxed tf up, floyd,lara, ggg 2x, even caleb and sorry *** billy joe had success against him. He has the same problems from when he was in his twenties against mayweather. Struggles against high level boxers, has good head movement but flat footed as **** and gets frustrated and mentally fatigued when his opponents dont just fold to his pressure.

And plenty of boxers have said they are more comfortable at the weight they walk around at, floyd said it..Spence stayed in shape thru his last layoff and he whooped the **** out of ugas. Canelo said in the kovalev press conference it’s easier for him to make 175 because he doesn’t have to lose as much weight like he did at 160/168.

Coming out aggressive and just loading up against the so called bigger guy at the weight he fights is a smart gameplan to you? That’s literally nothing like how canelo starts his fights, he usually is way more patient but he thought he had a easy one and got whooped. He doesn’t have the skills and talent to execute the necessary gameplan

Advertisement

That

GGG? Why? He's 40. There's no point. He won the first fight with Canelo but the judges predictably screwed him. His career is over.
Big Charlo only fights cab drivers. Little Charlo has a rematch next weekend. Personally I thought he lost the first one against Castano in a close fight.

Apparently there was a rematch clause and canelo will exercise it to fight bivol again. GGG fight was only happening if he won so that fight is off …
It would be on Canelo’s best interest not to rematch. He’s not beating that dude. I don’t want to see GGG fight Canelo either. I’d be down for Charlo GGG at 160.

With all the **** he talks, Charlo should move up to fight Benevedez. The pre fight events will be great. Those guys are not fans of each other. I got Benevedez against Charlo btw.

Big Charlo only fights cab drivers. Little Charlo has a rematch next weekend. Personally I thought he lost the first one against Castano in a close fight.
I hope Castaño beats his brains in.

Advertisement
If im Bivol, Canelo wouldn’t get a rematch (yea i know about the rematch clause). I’d wait for the winner of Beterbiev - Joe Smith for undisputed at 175. But then again, Bivol tasted Canelo’s power and ate it like scooby snacks so maybe take the rematch and go for the kill this time.

Benavidez vs Caleb Plant needs to happen at 168 or Mall Charlo needs to stop hiding at 160 (if he’s not going to fight Andrade) and move up to 168 and fight Benavidez.

I’m a big GGG fan, but if he isn’t going to fight Charlo or Boo Boo, just vacate and retire, dont hold those belts hostage

Im

When i say he’s small i mean just his stature, wingspan and height don’t determine your weight class. He literally fought at 175 before and everybody praised him for it but now he goes up and gets out classed it’s he’s too small lol, bivol out boxed him he wasn’t mauling or leaning on him the whole fight.

If canelo had better footwork he’d be able to box around and counter bivol but he doesn’t, he always relies on his plan A and when it doesn’t work he gets boxed tf up, floyd,lara, ggg 2x, even caleb and sorry *** billy joe had success against him. He has the same problems from when he was in his twenties against mayweather. Struggles against high level boxers, has good head movement but flat footed as **** and gets frustrated and mentally fatigued when his opponents dont just fold to his pressure.

And plenty of boxers have said they are more comfortable at the weight they walk around at, floyd said it..Spence stayed in shape thru his last layoff and he whooped the **** out of ugas. Canelo said in the kovalev press conference it’s easier for him to make 175 because he doesn’t have to lose as much weight like he did at 160/168.

Coming out aggressive and just loading up against the so called bigger guy at the weight he fights is a smart gameplan to you? That’s literally nothing like how canelo starts his fights, he usually is way more patient but he thought he had a easy one and got whooped. He doesn’t have the skills and talent to execute the necessary gameplan
Actually your height is a big indicator of your weight class. How many 5'8 LHWs do you know of that had great success? Compare that to the number of LHWs with great success who are over 5'11.

Just because casual fans praised him means nothing. Its very easy to look good against subpar competition. Mayweather looked good at Cruiserweight against Logan Paul, that doesn't mean he is big enough to be a cruiserweight.

If canelo had better footwork, sure, but he doesn't. Footwork is a talent. Do you think he just doesn't practice footwork? He clearly doesn't have the coordination for it, so he uses his other advantanges, one being power. When you are a strong powerful fighter and you move up a class and lose that. It means you shouldn't be in that weight class.

Floyd said it, yet he was more dominant at the lower weight classes. So its clearly not true. It also doesn't matter if its true for Spence or even mayweather, it obviously isn't true for Canelo. How could you even try to argue that, when he was dominant at the smaller weight classes and is not at LHW. He clearly is not better off at LHW.

Have you ever boxed? Fighting people in heavier weight classes is a very difficult thing to do. You can do it, if you are a lot more talented/skilled than your opponent, but other than that, you are getting beat. Not to mention its a lot easier to go from LW to LWW than it is to go from SMW to LHW.

Ya no schit he doesn't usually start like that. Its because he is usually a lot stronger than his opponent. So he can fight his usual style. Here he was the much smaller man so he had to try and gas him out while being an inside fighter. If Canelo thought he had an easy fight he would have just used his normal game plan as opposed to totally changing it up and using a style geared towards a bigger stronger fighter.

Advertisement
Actually your height is a big indicator of your weight class. How many 5'8 LHWs do you know of that had great success? Compare that to the number of LHWs with great success who are over 5'11.

Just because casual fans praised him means nothing. Its very easy to look good against subpar competition. Mayweather looked good at Cruiserweight against Logan Paul, that doesn't mean he is big enough to be a cruiserweight.

If canelo had better footwork, sure, but he doesn't. Footwork is a talent. Do you think he just doesn't practice footwork? He clearly doesn't have the coordination for it, so he uses his other advantanges, one being power. When you are a strong powerful fighter and you move up a class and lose that. It means you shouldn't be in that weight class.

Floyd said it, yet he was more dominant at the lower weight classes. So its clearly not true. It also doesn't matter if its true for Spence or even mayweather, it obviously isn't true for Canelo. How could you even try to argue that, when he was dominant at the smaller weight classes and is not at LHW. He clearly is not better off at LHW.

Have you ever boxed? Fighting people in heavier weight classes is a very difficult thing to do. You can do it, if you are a lot more talented/skilled than your opponent, but other than that, you are getting beat. Not to mention its a lot easier to go from LW to LWW than it is to go from SMW to LHW.

Ya no schit he doesn't usually start like that. Its because he is usually a lot stronger than his opponent. So he can fight his usual style. Here he was the much smaller man so he had to try and gas him out while being an inside fighter. If Canelo thought he had an easy fight he would have just used his normal game plan as opposed to totally changing it up and using a style geared towards a bigger stronger fighter.
The issues bivol gave canelo are the same issues he has had at EVERY weight class against good boxers..Thats my point, there’s a style he struggles against, he’s faced guys he’s stronger than and still had the same issues thats why im not giving him the weight class excuse because he hasn’t improved in that aspect his whole career.

But I understand your overall points and yes I’ve boxed on and off my whole life **** near lol I wouldn’t stick around this shady *** sport if I didn’t love it lol

Last edited:
Well there you go. September 17th it is. Wonder if the judges spot Canelo 4 rounds again?

Bivol said he’d do it but he has to be respected as the champion, he agreed to everything canelo asked. They treated him like he was the challenger 😭😭😭basically rushed his ring walk while canelo had a whole concert then canelo gets a rematch clause when usually thats the champs decision. But thats the benefits of being the A side so I understand.

Shouldn’t be a rematch for a lopsided fight like that, bivol could’ve stopped him if he wanted but he stuck to the gameplan like always

The issues bivol gave canelo are the same issues he has had at EVERY weight class against good boxers..Thats my point, there’s a style he struggles against, he’s faced guys he’s weaker than and still had the same issues thats why im not giving him the weight class excuse because he hasn’t improved in that aspect his whole career.

But I understand your overall points and yes I’ve boxed on and off my whole life **** near lol I wouldn’t stick around this shady *** sport if I didn’t love it lol
Yes he struggles against that style and when he has his advantage, which is his strength, he is able to beat those same opponents.

If Bivol was 5'8 160 lbs. Canelo would have destroyed him. That early uppercut would have been the beginning of the end for Bivol. If you are a fighter who relies on his strength, and you get to a weightclass where your power punches don't hurt. You went up to far. Its simple as that.

That is Canelos style and it works for him at every weight class up to SMW. No one tells Paulie Malignaggi that he needs to "learn to punch harder". Paul Williams, one of his talents was the fact that he could cut all the way down to 153 at 6'1. If he went up in weight class, he would have lost his main advantage and wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Advertisement
Bivol said he’d do it but he has to be respected as the champion, he agreed to everything canelo asked. They treated him like he was the challenger 😭😭😭basically rushed his ring walk while canelo had a whole concert then canelo gets a rematch clause when usually thats the champs decision. But thats the benefits of being the A side so I understand.

Shouldn’t be a rematch for a lopsided fight like that, bivol could’ve stopped him if he wanted but he stuck to the gameplan like always
I don’t see what Canelo can do differently in a rematch that will get him a victory. He’s simply outgunned. He might have to get back on that, “Mexican beef,” or get some of Oscar Valdez’s, “Green tea.”

Yes he struggles against that style and when he has his advantage, which is his strength, he is able to beat those same opponents.

If Bivol was 5'8 160 lbs. Canelo would have destroyed him. That early uppercut would have been the beginning of the end for Bivol. If you are a fighter who relies on his strength, and you get to a weightclass where your power punches don't hurt. You went up to far. Its simple as that.

That is Canelos style and it works for him at every weight class up to SMW. No one tells Paulie Malignaggi that he needs to "learn to punch harder". Paul Williams, one of his talents was the fact that he could cut all the way down to 153 at 6'1. If he went up in weight class, he would have lost his main advantage and wouldn't have been nearly as good.
Maybe but im not so sure he'd destroy him, bivol is just a better boxer and it works well for the opposition he chooses to fight.

I don’t see what Canelo can do differently in a rematch that will get him a victory. He’s simply outgunned. He might have to get back on that, “Mexican beef,” or get some of Oscar Valdez’s, “Green tea.”
Judges had it 115-113 so bivol probably gets robbed next time

Maybe but im not so sure he'd destroy him, bivol is just a better boxer and it works well for the opposition he chooses to fight.
He is the better outside fighter, but even so, Canelo did end up getting him to back up and landed a power shot on him. If Bivol wasn't a head taller than canelo and way stronger, he would have been done at that point. Which is my point.

Think about it like this. Mayweather is a great true outside fighter/counter puncher. Which seems to be the style you prefer. Mayweather had trouble with Castillo. He did not like getting pushed around and roughed up the way Castillo fought like that. If mayweather just moved up to heavyweight and fought John huggy bear Ruiz and lost. You wouldn't say "I'm not buying the weight difference, huggy bears style is just tailor made for Mayweather, look how much trouble he had with castillo and Ruiz fights the same way". You would say "yup its a bad style matchup, but its clear mayweather went up to many weight classes and should drop back down". This is obviously an extreme example, but it shows the point I am trying to make.

Advertisement
Back