The change at DE

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
While LB gets most of the attention, DE was just as thin headed into the offseason. The staff moved quickly to replace Zach McCloud and DeAndre Johnson with Mitchell Agude and Antonio Moultrie. Is it an upgrade?

From a pass-rush perspective, not really. Neither guy is Jaelan Phillips or Quincy Roche. But we’ve improved our roster in two key areas- length and activity.

Mitchell Agude is 6'4, 245 and looks even bigger with an 81-inch wingspan. Antonio Moultrie slimmed down to 6'4, 265 after making all-league as a DT. We were short on the perimeter last year. Teams ran right at our undersized defensive ends. Now we look more like a true Miami front.

But length, by itself, doesn't do anything. These guys combine that size with energy. It shows up in the stats. Agude had 55 tackles last year and Moultrie had 62. For comparison, McCloud and Johnson had 54 combined.

After watching multiple games on YouTube, the common theme is that these dudes play hard. Agude is faster and looks 4.6. Moultrie is stouter at the point of attack. Both guys run plays down from the backside and usually find themselves by the ball. That is a great place to start.

Now it's up to Salave'a, Jason Taylor and the crew to unlock our pass rush. Agude in particular has untapped upside, with 38 pressures but only two sacks. And expect us to keep looking for more in the Portal.

#45 Agude

#44 Moultrie

Advertisement
Said it before last season when this D was getting the normal offseason hype of fast defense, yada yada.. Front 7 was small and slow.. Discarded LB takes starting spot at DE, DB moved to LB, Flagg starting at like 5'9 small AND slow?! Front 7 was/is a mess.. Mario probably wants to bring in 20 guys lol..

DE vanished in a hurry here

It’s a bummer how much of a loss McCloud was this off-season

But the good thing I see is we have some reliable guys out there now while we wait for some of the younger guys that showed flashes to take the next step

Our “floor” at the position is much better than it was a few months ago

Advertisement
Depending on who you talk to, some people think Moultrie will play DT here, but others say DE. Will be interesting to see his weight when he gets healthy.
I’ve heard that, too. Just don’t see it long-term looking at body type. Moultrie was getting pushed around by Miami in 2020 as a DT. He looked better last year as DE.

DE vanished in a hurry here

It’s a bummer how much of a loss McCloud was this off-season

But the good thing I see is we have some reliable guys out there now while we wait for some of the younger guys that showed flashes to take the next step

Our “floor” at the position is much better than it was a few months ago
McCloud is a great guy but he is not even the floor of what we should want at a starting DE here.. If we are yearning for McCloud next year we will have the worst defense in America

Advertisement
Im not a tape guru. I don't have the expertise to pick apart film and really diagnose the ins and outs of prospects and a high level, but I think both of these guys are going to feast this year. Our scheme and discipline with Steele is going to do wonders for our defense.

I’ve heard that, too. Just don’t see it long-term looking at body type. Moultrie was getting pushed around by Miami in 2020 as a DT. He looked better last year as DE.
I thought for sure both Lichtenstein & Moultrie were playing DE when they were brought in.

I find it hard to believe they keep Moultrie at DT when he’s best suited as a pass rusher off the edge.

We can have a pass rush by committee approach with having a 4 man rotation at DE.

Mario mentioned, I think it was on the nsd presser, that Moultrie would get a look at 3T. I don't understand bringing a portal kid in and asking him to do something different from what made you notice him, but In Mario I trust.

Advertisement
Thankful for both of them.

But, I feel like this kid will play angry. Can't wait.

1648258666967.png

lsu held a ton and still lost that game. If these guys don't start they'll be solid rotational guys. upgrades from last year no?

WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Antonio Moultrie/ Jabari Ishmael/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss
1T - Jordan Miller/ Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Allan Haye
3T - Leonard Taylor/ Jake Lichtenstein/ Ahmad Moten
SDE - Mitchell Agude/ Elijah Roberts/ Chantz Williams/ Nyjalik Kelly

You can play Roberts & Moultrie at DT & if we bring in another Portal DE that could allow Roberts to move back to DT permanently. I actually think we need more help at DT than we do at DE, we have (at least on paper) a feasible pass rush rotation with adding Agude, but at DT we’re banking on Miller, Hunte & Taylor to be the primary guys & if any one of them goes down (knock on wood) we’re fcked.

We need another DE, a DT, a true Mike LB & another CB IMO from the Portal.

Advertisement
While LB gets most of the attention, DE was just as thin headed into the offseason. The staff moved quickly to replace Zach McCloud and DeAndre Johnson with Mitchell Agude and Antonio Moultrie. Is it an upgrade?

From a pass-rush perspective, not really.
Neither guy is Jaelan Phillips or Quincy Roche. But we’ve improved our roster in two key areas- length and activity.

Mitchell Agude is 6'4, 245 and looks even bigger with an 81-inch wingspan. Antonio Moultrie slimmed down to 6'4, 265 after making all-league as a DT. We were short on the perimeter last year. Teams ran right at our undersized defensive ends. Now we look more like a true Miami front.

But length, by itself, doesn't do anything. These guys combine that size with energy. It shows up in the stats. Agude had 55 tackles last year and Moultrie had 62. For comparison, McCloud and Johnson had 54 combined.

After watching multiple games on YouTube, the common theme is that these dudes play hard. Agude is faster and looks 4.6. Moultrie is stouter at the point of attack. Both guys run plays down from the backside and usually find themselves by the ball. That is a great place to start.

Now it's up to Salave'a, Jason Taylor and the crew to develop our pass rushers. Agude in particular has untapped upside, with 38 pressures but only two sacks. And don't be surprised if we keep looking for more in the Portal.

#45 Agude

#44 Moultrie

Danny, you always have great takes, but disagree 100% on the bonded. The ucla kid is a big upgrade over 13/53 imo. I’m not 100% sure on moultrie but by all accounts, he’s solid. 13 was virtually invisible all year and 53 was ok in spurts. We upgraded.

WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Antonio Moultrie/ Jabari Ishmael/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss
1T - Jordan Miller/ Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Allan Haye
3T - Leonard Taylor/ Jake Lichtenstein/ Ahmad Moten
SDE - Mitchell Agude/ Elijah Roberts/ Chantz Williams/ Nyjalik Kelly

You can play Roberts & Moultrie at DT & if we bring in another Portal DE that could allow Roberts to move back to DT permanently. I actually think we need more help at DT than we do at DE, we have (at least on paper) a feasible pass rush rotation with adding Agude, but at DT we’re banking on Miller, Hunte & Taylor to be the primary guys & if any one of them goes down (knock on wood) we’re fcked.

We need another DE, a DT, a true Mike LB & another CB IMO from the Portal.

Real talk. Coaches should have seen enough by now to see we need a lot more help. My order of urgency:
1 MLB
2. 2nd portal CB to go with Porter
3. Run stuffing DT

I personally think we’ve done enough at DE now since so many guys can bump between 3 tech and SDE. And both Agude and Chantz have wheels. Wish Kelly had joined for Spring ball.

Still need an RT on the other side too.

And of course you take an elite kid opportunistically if they want to transfer in, especially at WR.

Danny, you always have great takes, but disagree 100% on the bonded. The ucla kid is a big upgrade over 13/53 imo. I’m not 100% sure on moultrie but by all accounts, he’s solid. 13 was virtually invisible all year and 53 was ok in spurts. We upgraded.
It’s absolutely an upgrade overall. But the pass rush is a push based on what they’ve shown thus far. Agude at least has potential for more.

Advertisement
Back