Off-Topic The Car Thread

For someone like me who probably only puts a few thousand miles a year on a car, absent the kids driving, this would be ideal. I'd just leave it outside and the solar panels would do it all for me.

Very attractive price point as well, I can't wait to hear how you like yours.

plus a $7,500 tax credit!

Last edited:
Advertisement
$500!? I thought it was 5k. I'm going to look into it today. 390M range, solar panel roof, SUV, and 17inch display. Sounds like a winner to me. Idk why I thought the deposit was more

They might have raised it, when I did it a few months ago it was $500

@Juanka @JD08 Sorry guys, rich guys like you dont qualify for the proposed EV tax credit.

Families earning more than $300,000 wouldn’t qualify for the new EV purchase subsidies - which would be an inconvenience for luxury brands who cater to the affluent.

More importantly, the proposal would encourage consumers to buy electric trucks and SUVs instead of electric sedans. Cars priced above $55,000 would not be eligible for the new tax credits (sorry, Mercedes EQS.)

However, buyers of electric trucks priced up to $80,000 could get the tax break. That means many buyers of electric Ford F-150s, electric Chevy Silverados and (maybe) Tesla Cybertrucks could get part of their purchase funded by the Treasury.

Ford, GM, Stellantis and UAW lobbyists, take a bow.

@Juanka @JD08 Sorry guys, rich guys like you dont qualify for the proposed EV tax credit.

Families earning more than $300,000 wouldn’t qualify for the new EV purchase subsidies - which would be an inconvenience for luxury brands who cater to the affluent.

More importantly, the proposal would encourage consumers to buy electric trucks and SUVs instead of electric sedans. Cars priced above $55,000 would not be eligible for the new tax credits (sorry, Mercedes EQS.)

However, buyers of electric trucks priced up to $80,000 could get the tax break. That means many buyers of electric Ford F-150s, electric Chevy Silverados and (maybe) Tesla Cybertrucks could get part of their purchase funded by the Treasury.

But how will everyone know I care about the environment while I drive to my G5?

How much tax credit do i get for using a **** ton of non ethanol pure gas in my cobra?

Black smoke rolling off the tires. Exhaust dumping into the atmosphere. Sometimes i just let it run for hours just because.

Advertisement
burn out GIF

I generally lease, because I like to have a new car every few years. In fact, I often take over a lease so that my holding period is much less than 3 years.
My mom leased a 2020 Sonata before supply chain problems. She will be able to sell the car outright for just about what she leased the car for. Kind of unprecedented times!

Advertisement
My mom leased a 2020 Sonata before supply chain problems. She will be able to sell the car outright for just about what she leased the car for. Kind of unprecedented times!
I have the same situation with my BMW, but Tesla doesnt allow the lessee to buy the car at the end of the lease. I wonder if that will be the new norm for leases.

That is interesting. Perhaps Elon Musk is not as confident as our federal government in amping up the microchip production.

Nice, this will again make Tesla eligible for the tax credit. I already have a model Y reserved. Thankfully I have the price locked in. I imagine they will bump the price as soon as the bill goes through.

Now, if I can get under that 300k mark... JK

I received an email that the first prototypes are being delivered from the factory in Graz.

1659226650122.png

Attachments

• 1659226618896.png
    1659226618896.png
    202.9 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement

Washington, we have a problem
Democratic leaders in the U.S. Senate are proposing a collection of electric and hydrogen vehicle subsidies valued at more than $14 billion over the next decade, plus about $30 billion worth of “advanced manufacturing” tax breaks automakers could share with other sectors. You’d think the industry response would be two words: “Thank you!”

In fact, the industry’s reaction starts with three words: “Thank you, but….”

Automakers are looking the proposed “Inflation Reduction Act” gift horse in the mouth because the EV subsidies come with complex requirements limiting the full subsidies to vehicles that meet North American content requirements for battery components and minerals. The domestic content targets rise over time, and automakers are worried they will be impossible to meet barring a broad, hugely costly shift of battery material and cell production away from China.

Reducing America’s reliance on China is the goal of the plan’s architect, West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin. He told automakers to “get aggressive” and figure out how to build EV supply chains that don’t depend on China.

The proposal agreed by Manchin and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has other features that worry electric vehicle makers. Those include limits on the prices of vehicles eligible for a $7,500 tax credit, and caps on the household incomes of buyers who can use the credits.

Those income and price limits are a concern for Rivian, which is just now launching a line of luxury electric trucks and SUVs that can easily exceed the $80,000 price cap proposed in the Manchin-Schumer plan. If the new income and price limits go into effect upon passage, presumably this fall, “it’s going to cut off a number of our customers from being eligible for the credit,” said James Chen, Rivian’s vice president for public policy.

Rivian is asking lawmakers to extend the current EV subsidy system - which does not have vehicle price or income limits - to the end of 2024. It could help that Rivian has its only U.S. assembly plant and some 6,000 workers in Illinois, the home state of Sen. **** Durbin, No. 2 in the Senate Democratic leadership hierarchy.

Rivian is not alone in having problems with the Manchin-Schumer plan as drafted. The price and income limits may be less problematic for Ford’s efforts to sell electric F-150s or for Tesla’s Model Y franchise. But the $55,000 price cap on electric sedans looks like trouble for Lucid’s $154,000 + Air sedans. (Lucid does have its factory in Arizona, represented by the other swing vote in the Senate, Kyrsten Sinema.)

The debate and the lobbying over the Manchin-Schumer plan are far from over. In the meantime, the EV industry has another Washington issue….​
spacer.gif
tsmchq.JPG
spacer.gif
Why automakers care about Taiwan.
spacer.gif
China, Taiwan, Nancy Pelosi and Tesla
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan, and the angry reaction to it from Beijing, put a spotlight on how vulnerable Tesla and other EV manufacturers are to the unsettled state of relations between China and the United States.

“The race for global EV battery dominance goes hand-in-hand with geopolitics and national security,” Morgan Stanley analysts Adam Jonas and Evan Silverberg wrote in a note. “Tesla is highly exposed to both the risk and the opportunity.”

China is Tesla’s No. 1 market, and home to its largest factory. The company has already gotten warnings about the consequences of crossing Beijing.

Tesla is not alone. Ford last week announced plans to import lower-cost lithium-iron batteries from Chinese battery champion CATL starting next year, in anticipation of CATL building a battery plant in North America. Beijing’s fury over Pelosi’s Taiwan visit prompted speculation that CATL could delay the announcement of the North American site.

CATL is pressing ahead with its plans to supply Ford and build a North American plant, sources said. One potential site is in Kentucky, the home state of Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

The overarching challenge, as seen by Morgan Stanley and others, is that China currently produces 50% of the world’s EV batteries and 50% to 75% of the processed battery materials needed for EVs. Taiwan is the OPEC of computer chips. Someday, the United States and Europe may develop domestic battery and chip manufacturing infrastructure to allow manufacturers in those markets not to worry so much about U.S.-China-Taiwan relations. But until then.​
spacer.gif
lightningmegafrunk.JPG
spacer.gif
One nation, under a Mega-frunk.
spacer.gif
The F-150 Lightning is the rare, 50-State EV.
Ford said Wednesday it has now delivered its electric F-150 Lightning pickups to all 50 states - more than 4,400 in all since the start of the year.

The Lightning’s 50-state footprint is the exception to the sales patterns for electric vehicles in the United States.

The good news for EV manufacturers is that monthly EV registrations in 15 U.S. states with the strongest EV demand rose 87% in May 2022 compared to January 2019 (before the pandemic kicked in,) according to data from S&P Global. From January through May 2022, EV registrations in the top 15 EV states have averaged more than 40,000 vehicles a month, according to S&P Global’s data. A year earlier, the January-May average was 26,743 vehicles per month.

The challenge for Tesla and other manufacturers ramping up EV capacity is that the top 15 EV states account for nearly 83% of total U.S. EV sales, according to S&P Global data. You can probably name most of the 15 EV states, but yes California is No. 1 by far with a nearly 13% EV share in May, then the Northeast states, the Pacific Northwest, Colorado, Arizona, Texas and Florida.

Some combination of progressive politics, wealth or sunshine (not necessarily all three) appear to correlate to EV demand. So do increasing numbers of EV models and rising gas prices.

The EV sales pattern helps explain why GM, which is big in the Heartland, has launched an EV education effort.

Consumers are finally tapping the brakes
Inflation and economic angst are starting to cool off demand for mainstream cars and trucks. Industry executives are conceding as much in Q2 investor calls, although they so far portray the slowdown as manageable. Automakers still say they have more demand than they can satisfy given supply chain challenges.

However, the days when automakers could jack up prices to offset rising costs for parts and raw materials could be numbered. "There is a limit to price hikes," Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares said.

The exception…brands aimed at the very rich…​

Advertisement

Fisker, Federal EV Tax Credits, and The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022

Firm Orders Open at 12 PM EDT / 9 AM PDT Today

Dear Ocean Reservation Holders,

Congress is currently moving quickly to pass The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 – historic legislation to address the climate crisis and promote clean energy, including billions of dollars in electric vehicle infrastructure funding. 

Importantly, the current draft of The Inflation Reduction Act proposes to phase out existing federal tax credits after 2022 for electric vehicles assembled outside North America and further imposes certain annual modified gross income restrictions for taxpayer eligibility of any credit ($300,000 joint return; $225,000 Head of Household; and $150,000 all others). The Fisker Ocean is designed and engineered in California and assembled in Austria. To learn more about the existing federal EV tax credits, click here. The federal EV tax credit change section starts on page 366.

The Fisker Ocean is designed and engineered in California. Consistent with Fisker’s aim to deliver the world’s most sustainable vehicle, the Fisker Ocean is assembled at Magna’s carbon-neutral plant in Graz, Austria.

Fisker is reacting quickly by extending to our US reservation holders the invitation to enter into a firm commitment to purchase their Fisker Ocean and confirm their trim level now. This may allow Fisker customers to take advantage of the existing $7500 federal tax credit scheme for which they may qualify under the Transition Rule if the Inflation Reduction Act is enacted*.

Not a good look for Ford, 46 recalls already, just this year.

From today's Reuters

EV policy angst
Senate Democrats on Sunday passed their $430 billion package of energy and drug price policy measures, which political handicappers pronounced a big win for President Joe Biden. Investors bid up shares of automakers and suppliers early Monday.

Automakers, however, are not celebrating. The main lobbying group for Detroit automakers warned that the Inflation Reduction Act’s retooling of electric vehicle subsidies will slash by 70% the number of EV purchasers who can qualify for a tax break, and jeapordize the Biden Administration’s goal of boosting EV market share to 50% by 2030.

Autos Drive America, a trade group made up of European and Asian automakers, also expressed dismay at the domestic content requirements, vehicle price caps and income limits placed on EV subsidies in the Inflation Reduction Act.

“When the Administration begins implementing the Inflation Reduction Act, it is our hope that we can all work together to enable more consumers to make the transition to cleaner vehicles,” Autos Drive America CEO Jennifer Safavian wrote in a statement.

Safavian’s comment underscores that the wrangling over EV subsidies is not over. Whether House Democrats will agree to changes is one question. How much automakers can claw back if and when the bill’s text is put into practice by regulatory agencies is another.

In the meantime, people who want to buy a vehicle from a company whose products are still eligible for the current $7,500 tax credit (not GM or Tesla) could flood websites with orders, trying to get through the window before it slams shut.

Advertisement
Back