The Book Is Out

If I had to handicap the offense against State, right now, I’d say TVD throws a pick to a LBer. Can’t imagine Gibson will run many of his zero blitzes this week. Instead he’ll confuse TVD dropping backers and that third safety into coverage.

On the bright side, that means running lanes should open up. Force them into 7-8 man boxes and make Gibson leave his DB’s on islands.

It obviously won’t be that simple, bc Gibson is really good. But there’s a real path to controlling the game. See ND 2nd half for the blueprint.

On defense, Morris is not good against pressure and they only have one good receiver. Bracket the Conception kid and bring the house. They have a couple of average at best RB’s, that shouldn’t be an issue either.

Coming out dead and giving away multiple turnovers are State’s only path to victory. Which is exactly what this team is prone to doing. So who knows what’s gonna happen.

Advertisement
Ok fine you win.
Tvd was a top 5 pick. He’s been mister consistency prior to Mario.

Mario is finally gonna kill this team.
Kiffin would’ve had us in the playoffs this year.
Its not even about win. We just shooting the **** on a sunday..

TVD has not benefited under Mario after we have been told he would not. TVD was actually looked at positively as a nfl quality qb prior to playing for him, this is facts. I expect alot of death matches with Mario, there is pros and cons to that. If we are both here after the last 2 decades, I doubt it matters because win or lots of losses we will still be.

Advertisement
Teams know the way to stop our offense is to drop back into zone and give us everything underneath. They bank on us making mistakes or growing impatient and forcing the issue down the field — see what TVD yesterday.

It’s not fun or easy to put together 10+ play drives and have to go the length of the field to score, but until we prove that we can do that consistently and not shoot ourselves in the foot, I expect teams to follow the UVA and GT playbook.

Going forward, our game plan should be simple: continue to run the ball and take your 5 yard outs and hitches to make the defense bring those safeties and corners up. Then, and only then, will we be able to air it out deep. UVA was giving George and Young an insane cushion and we just refused to stay patient enough to force them to adjust.

It’s not going to be the exciting offense most on this board are clamoring for, but it’s obvious we struggle with zone because TVD is a head case. Dawson needs to emphasize our cover 2/3/4 zone beaters and tell Tyler we don’t need it all on one play. Teams want him to get irritated and take risks; don’t fall for the trap. Take what they give you and we will win. Let the OL set the tone and let’s kick NC State’s ***.

We need to Steve Walsh them to death!!

Yeah, I miss ol Steve Walsh...

TVD looks confused like he's taking an advanced calculus test sitting in the pocket. Until further notice the game plan should be to get the ball out of his hands as quickly as possible in the pass game with occasional 1 on 1 deep shots if they're there.
This. Quick reads w/ 1-2 progressions to 1 side of field max then have check downs, RPO slant plays (wtf happened to those), RB screens for once?, TE plays for once, and add in a 1-2 trick plays for when we need a boost.

But i'm really not impressed with Dawson so i expect more of run up middle, tunnel screen, 4 wide w/ mccormick, rinse and repeat.

Nah we not winning fourth straight with the way our qb is playing. We are asking way too much from the defense to carry us.
Nothing against you, but it's the little anarchist in me. I am hoping we win the next 4 games like the last two. Low 20's, one possession game. I want to the chaos on this board of Mario winning 10 games with caveman murder ball. Lol

Nothing against you, but it's the little anarchist in me. I am hoping we win the next 4 games like the last two. Low 20's, one possession game. I want to the chaos on this board of Mario winning 10 games with caveman murder ball. Lol
Lol

I just want it to work out in our favor where we don’t get humiliated. Cause I know the ncaa going to match us up vs the 01 canes or some sh in a bowl game. Just to f with any type of momentum we have. F the ncaa. Working on a highlight video now and while working on it I almost cried. People who love the OB in for some emotional damage.

Advertisement
Teams know the way to stop our offense is to drop back into zone and give us everything underneath. They bank on us making mistakes or growing impatient and forcing the issue down the field — see what TVD yesterday.

It’s not fun or easy to put together 10+ play drives and have to go the length of the field to score, but until we prove that we can do that consistently and not shoot ourselves in the foot, I expect teams to follow the UVA and GT playbook.

Going forward, our game plan should be simple: continue to run the ball and take your 5 yard outs and hitches to make the defense bring those safeties and corners up. Then, and only then, will we be able to air it out deep. UVA was giving George and Young an insane cushion and we just refused to stay patient enough to force them to adjust.

It’s not going to be the exciting offense most on this board are clamoring for, but it’s obvious we struggle with zone because TVD is a head case. Dawson needs to emphasize our cover 2/3/4 zone beaters and tell Tyler we don’t need it all on one play. Teams want him to get irritated and take risks; don’t fall for the trap. Take what they give you and we will win. Let the OL set the tone and let’s kick NC State’s ***.

Fact: to defend everything - is to defend nothing.

There's always a weakness in any defense. A window, trench, door, wall, treeline, roof, basement - and the same goes for football.

Have your overall game plan, and then take what they give you. Be ready each play to change up! Force THEM to change and allow you to play YOUR game.

Fact: Never doing what is expected is a surprise to your opponent. Don't put us in third and long - they'll be expecting a pass and your chances are reduced by half. Do something different - use something different - use distractions - change something up!

Fact: When driving, if your tire goes flat - don't keep rolling on it. Change the ****** tire! It's not going to get better the longer you continue.

Fact: The first two drives, each player must give 110% - and beat HIS man! Don't save anything for later. Your opponent once physically conditioned to accept an a**-whipping, will accept nothing else in his mind. A man defeated in his own mind - expecting nothing but more of the same - is already beaten.

Fact: Receivers must become the greatest of actors. Just to run your route isn't doing squat. You must fake out your opponent, sell something else, and THEN run your route. Cuts must be sharper than a katana can make. Receivers are salesmen - sell him! Then beat him! Never again run a route that is half-a**ed, and if covered slow up. Too many times your QB is scrambling a bit - and you need to give him an unplanned, open target.

We currently have a flat tire. We're not confusing anyone. We're now very predictable. We're not surprising anyone.

We come out flat. Jimmy's teams had their hair on fire to get onto the field. What's changed?

Our offense is slowly losing tempo and spacing, less motion and more bunched formations. The TE is invisible. No vertical threat. No screen plays or stretch plays to get our athletic OL moving outside and up field.

This is on Mario imo. He’s been breathing down Dawson’s neck once we got into conference play. Let’s revert back to the 80’s and 90’s and play smash mouth fizical football baby.

Cocaine Kiffin would be 8-0 with this team. Trounced GT by 25. Currently 7-1 in the SEC. Recruiting class is in a similar ballpark plus he’d get a slight Miami bump.

View attachment 263430

Dawson is running the show. Stop.
It doesn't fit the Q'Anon story.

Mario doesn't like his $8M salary and likes losing games and having ****ed off fans/donors/administrators so he plays the QB that gives us the worst chance to win, overrules Dawson all game checking into runs, and doesn't allow TVD the ability to audible from a run to a pass.

Last edited:
That’s the most baffling thing to me. We have tunnel and bubble screens, but we rarely run anything out of the backfield to our RBs.

The few times we have RBs have ran themselves pass the blockers. When you leak out for a screen it's gotta be patient and you can't race your Oline to the catch point because you'll tip they play and the defense will crash on it before your lineman can get there. We have a terrible execution problem without our RB screens

Yeah, the play calling has been predictable. Definitely a factor. And when we do run it’s usually a dive up the middle. The offense in general just seems clunky and out of sync. I’d say it’s about 70% TVD and 30% play calling/design.

Dawson hasn’t been bad but he isn’t doing things that have gotten TVD out of previous funks.

We need more rpo/ play-action and to keep taking those short throws to the outside the defenses keep daring us to take. Hammer it into TVD to relax and take the check down.

We have been solid in the red zone and can finish drives in the end zone running.

We just have to not force it downfield into coverage. Defensive coordinators get tired of dying a slow death. If they keep playing prevent zone, kill ‘em slow. If they bring the secondary up, Colbie and George have been productive and Harrell is lurking too.

We can’t keep shooting ourselves in the foot though. I know it is easier said than done but some simple adjustments can go a long way to rebuild confidence in the passing game.

Advertisement
mental gymnastics on this thread is crazy. The Mario is meddling take is lazy. This offense hasn’t really changed schematically. GT set the blueprint to sit in zone all game and here we are. We have an immobile qb that can’t read zone coverage. That’s a recipe for a struggling offense. 4 games now and Dawson/TVD haven’t figure out how to beat zone coverage consistently.

Don’t we have this massive and athletic offensive line filled with dudes who can pull all over the field in the run game?

If so, would it be possible to run one (1) screen to help get a player who can run fast in space with big humans in front of him?
tyler would still manage to throw it to x 15 yards downfield in triple coverage.

The Offense the way it is now has worked against bad teams.

It will not work against FSU or LVille...

TBH, the Boston College game is gonna be a lot more of tough matchup than most might’ve thought at the beginning of the season.
BC could easily come into our game 8-3. Their schedule is probably the softest in P5.

Advertisement
If I had to handicap the offense against State, right now, I’d say TVD throws a pick to a LBer. Can’t imagine Gibson will run many of his zero blitzes this week. Instead he’ll confuse TVD dropping backers and that third safety into coverage.

On the bright side, that means running lanes should open up. Force them into 7-8 man boxes and make Gibson leave his DB’s on islands.

It obviously won’t be that simple, bc Gibson is really good. But there’s a real path to controlling the game. See ND 2nd half for the blueprint.

On defense, Morris is not good against pressure and they only have one good receiver. Bracket the Conception kid and bring the house. They have a couple of average at best RB’s, that shouldn’t be an issue either.

Coming out dead and giving away multiple turnovers are State’s only path to victory. Which is exactly what this team is prone to doing. So who knows what’s gonna happen.
From what I've seen of State:

QB play is poor to average;

Running game doesn't amount to much. They will use Concepcion to generate runs;

CBs are very good;

Safety room is thin and banged up, not great;

Front 7 athletic.

Is this basically correct?

ALL OF THESE NUMBERS ARE BASED ON FBS OPPONENTS AND RANKED BY G5

-Offense averaging 34 points and 440
-Before the Clemson game, we averaged 465 total vs UNC, GT and aTm.
- 17th nationally in YPP - 2nd ACC
- 13th rushing national /10th YPC - 2nd YPC ACC
- 17th scoring national - 3rd ACC

I’m not sure what everyone was expecting because all we heard all off-season was how terrible the wide receivers were. We haven’t had a single legit, healthy, receiving tight end healthy. TVD is obviously having many issues right now and seems to be the main culprit in this offensive funk. Our running back room is decimated.
You can disagree with individual calls all you want but acting like he’s been a failure is the height of ridiculousness. TVD had plenty of options open underneath all game. He chose to force the ball time and time again. Now that could be on coaching or that could be on the guy who looks to be disinterested and admitted he’s not watching enough film.

mental gymnastics on this thread is crazy. The Mario is meddling take is lazy. This offense hasn’t really changed schematically. GT set the blueprint to sit in zone all game and here we are. We have an immobile qb that can’t read zone coverage. That’s a recipe for a struggling offense. 4 games now and Dawson/TVD haven’t figure out how to beat zone coverage consistently.
Again though, this doesn’t explain not being able to run the ball consistently. That is where the predictable play calling comes in. It’s not mental gymnastics. We generally run in between the tackles on first down.

From what I've seen of State:

QB play is poor to average;

Running game doesn't amount to much. They will use Concepcion to generate runs;

CBs are very good;

Safety room is thin and banged up, not great;

Front 7 athletic.

Is this basically correct?
Yes that’s a pretty good summary.

Front seven is good. Wilson really is the guy that makes them go. If he would’ve left last year, they wouldn’t be much to deal with.

Morris can’t handle pressure. He has a bright future, but is being hampered by a below average O line, below average RB’s, and only one WR that should be starting on an ACC team. IMO Morris will never reach his full potential at that school.

DB’s are solid. They’re asked to hold up in coverage a lot. They really don’t have a true shut down guy though. Safeties are banged up but that room wasn’t loaded with studs anyway. You’ll see 3 serviceable guys.

At the end of the day it’s just not a 9 win year for them. Since Doeren has been there he has a really good year every 4th year. His recruiting isn’t great so he has to develop guys. It’s a rebuild. They’ve actually over performed this year, bc they’re a tad older than they normally are during these rebuilds.

Advertisement
Back