The Book Is Out

Yes that’s a pretty good summary.

Front seven is good. Wilson really is the guy that makes them go. If he would’ve left last year, they wouldn’t be much to deal with.

Morris can’t handle pressure. He has a bright future, but is being hampered by a below average O line, below average RB’s, and only one WR that should be starting on an ACC team. IMO Morris will never reach his full potential at that school.

DB’s are solid. They’re asked to hold up in coverage a lot. They really don’t have a true shut down guy though. Safeties are banged up but that room wasn’t loaded with studs anyway. You’ll see 3 serviceable guys.

At the end of the day it’s just not a 9 win year for them. Since Doeren has been there he has a really good year every 4th year. His recruiting isn’t great so he has to develop guys. It’s a rebuild. They’ve actually over performed this year, bc they’re a tad older than they normally are during these rebuilds.
We should win this game, but it'll be a grind no matfer how you slice it.

Advertisement
We’ve benefitted from playing so much at home.

A lot of sh*t works we’re you’re playing at Home, but on the road it’s a different environment.
I’m curious what you mean by this. What types of plays would work at home that wouldn’t work on the road?

I’m curious what you mean by this. What types of plays would work at home that wouldn’t work on the road?
When you’re on the road in a hostile environment & the crowd is loud, sometimes the communication upfront is more difficult. Sometimes the opposing team’s Defense is selling out & just not letting you bulldoze every other play. Sometimes calls you get away with at home get called on the road & instead of having 2nd & shorts all the time you’re dealing with 2nd & longs. Sometimes they get a better read on your play calls because they have better vantage points.

Think about how different we looked @ UNC vs how we’ve played at home.

Sometimes a lot of luck comes with the home cooking...

Sometimes you can play for Over time when you’re at home because it’s a just a more comfortable feel for your team & you have more confidence, vs trying it on the road where circumstances are more dire.

Sometimes kicking is a lot easier at home than on the road...

Point is, very few teams play the same on the road as they do at home, does Miami in it’s current state strike you as a team that will be able to play above it’s means on the road? Maybe. But I’m not so sure a betting man would take that wager.

We've had 12 turnovers in the last four games, and are 2-2. (Should be 3-1 with 11 turnovers).

And it's not just TVD as there are plenty of fumbles in there.

This is not news, but that's the difference between this team being what it is, and being a playoff team.
I don't get this 'playoff' talk. We'd get bodied in the playoffs if we snuck in this year thanks to the bounce of a ball, everyone knows this.

We're rebuilding - it's a slow process and it's going to take another couple of years, but once we're there we'll be a hard out for anyone.

Advertisement
No coverage is bulletproof. We are struggling because TVD is locking on to players, not just X. Locks on to a target and refuse to scan or scans very slowly. There are and were players open on plays he throws picks. Also alot of those underneath throws to Brashard and the RBs can easily turn into 10-15 yards by them breaking 1 tackle. Another big problem i see, other than the TD Brashard scored against BCC, we dont attack the deep middle of the field much. Thats usually where the open spots are against zone. Not sure if its TVD or play design. We dont even use the TEs. Its mind boggling

I don't get this 'playoff' talk. We'd get bodied in the playoffs if we snuck in this year thanks to the bounce of a ball, everyone knows this.

We're rebuilding - it's a slow process and it's going to take another couple of years, but once we're there we'll be a hard out for anyone.
Well, we'd be undefeated, if we'd been even, instead of -6, in turnovers in our last 4 games.

When you’re on the road in a hostile environment & the crowd is loud, sometimes the communication upfront is more difficult. Sometimes the opposing team’s Defense is selling out & just not letting you bulldoze every other play. Sometimes calls you get away with at home get called on the road & instead of having 2nd & shorts all the time you’re dealing with 2nd & longs. Sometimes they get a better read on your play calls because they have better vantage points.

Think about how different we looked @ UNC vs how we’ve played at home.

Sometimes a lot of luck comes with the home cooking...

Sometimes you can play for Over time when you’re at home because it’s a just a more comfortable feel for your team & you have more confidence, vs trying it on the road where circumstances are more dire.

Sometimes kicking is a lot easier at home than on the road...

Point is, very few teams play the same on the road as they do at home, does Miami in it’s current state strike you as a team that will be able to play above it’s means on the road? Maybe. But I’m not so sure a betting man would take that wager.
Just to clarify, I wasn’t suggesting it’s just as easy to win on the road as it is at home. I was just curious to get your take on which plays are more difficult to run on the road. I figured it was related to crowd noise but I wasn’t sure which plays in particular you think crowd noise would impact.

Advertisement
TVD is problem 1
Dawson is problem 2

Dawson isn’t doing TVD any favors but even if Dawson was, TVD can’t take advantage of it.

Play calling lacks creativity. TVD locks in on one player. It’s a mess.

Should’ve played Emory against UVA and seen if it got the offense going.

I’m starting suspect Dawson and Mario would prefer to limit how many times TVD throws..

And that’s why it feels like they are forcing the run at times.. they don’t trust dude..

Exactly right. That’s why they played for overtime. They figured better to run for a TD from 25 yards out than risk an interception with TVD. Probably also figured FGs in OT are no problem with Borregales and the defense will be able to stop them.

In this case it worked out for the win. But the point stands: they don’t trust TVD.

imho tvd was playing injured, had 75% of his normal zip on the ball, which cascaded into his decision making. contrary to owning the ******/labia label, he's always tried to play hurt as was very obvious last season. as such, i think his ****** performance is more on mario/dawson who should have never let him play yesterday. if he's not 90%+ healthy next week, you have to sit him.

To me it’s pretty clear DVD has a hand injury that has really effected how far he can throw the ball. That first pick was under thrown by 10 yards. On top of that we did not even attempt a deep ball like we did with Emory the week before. There just no velocity there on anything over 25 yards. And btw, on the first pick 0 was ridiculous wide open on the check down. Easy 20 yard gain if he recognizes his limitations right now. He absolutely has to just hit that check down going forward.
He needs to heal up. IMO If the QB is gonna be limited and turnover prone then for that they can play Jacurri Brown and at least get some free first downs with his legs.

It’s a sec team with a booster base willing to spend and a loyal fanbase.
If he can’t land the recruits or entice great position and coordinator then that’s also a flaw and a pretty large one.
He should be an oc and that’s it.
He also hates it there.

Mario is a version of himself.
A dude who took a 4-8 team and made them conference champions and nationally ranked and was about to have a ridiculous recruiting class until Mas was on line one.

If you can’t see improvement over the past 2 years then idk what to tell you.
Just because we’re frustrated over the offensive performance doesn’t mean we’re not better than last year.

Last years team would be a 2 win team rk. Forget 4-4 we would be 2-6 with wins over temple and Bethune.
It wasn't Mas on the phone, it was literally Carol Soffer...

Boombox Shut Up GIF
I’m starting suspect Dawson and Mario would prefer to limit how many times TVD throws..

And that’s why it feels like they are forcing the run at times.. they don’t trust dude..

Advertisement
No coverage is bulletproof. We are struggling because TVD is locking on to players, not just X. Locks on to a target and refuse to scan or scans very slowly. There are and were players open on plays he throws picks. Also alot of those underneath throws to Brashard and the RBs can easily turn into 10-15 yards by them breaking 1 tackle. Another big problem i see, other than the TD Brashard scored against BCC, we dont attack the deep middle of the field much. Thats usually where the open spots are against zone. Not sure if its TVD or play design. We dont even use the TEs. Its mind boggling
I keep telling people its not just he locking on to X, he locked on to jacolby too and threw a pick or almost pick.

Tvd internal clock is slow, he stays on the initial concept too long and thinks he can fit it in a tight window..His eyes bring defenders to the ball and leads to picks.. He doesn’t understand that sometimes the play isn’t gonna be there and u have to run for a couple yards, move out the pocket to create a new opportunity a new window, run for a couple yards or throw it away so u can live another down

We called more screens last week than we have in the past two years. We should play with TVD like we do with Emory
I wish we would put brashard at RB and throw a screen to him..i seen a bunch of nice screens on dawson houston film need to pull them out

I keep telling people its not just he locking on to X, he locked on to jacolby too and threw a pick or almost pick.

Tvd internal clock is slow, he stays on the initial concept too long and thinks he can fit it in a tight window..His eyes bring defenders to the ball and leads to picks.. He doesn’t understand that sometimes the play isn’t gonna be there and u have to run for a couple yards, move out the pocket to create a new opportunity a new window, run for a couple yards or throw it away so u can live another down
Its wild, and he can run if he goes up the middle. His clock is slower than Emory's.

Advertisement

I don't know if any of you guys watch the show Billions. Last week's episode (S7 E11) one of the main actor's starts to talk about game theory and uses the football QB as an example. In game theory it's about how many steps from the "idiot" you think your opponent is removed from. In the show they draw the X's and O's on a white board and everything. They go on to say "The idiot QB locks eyes on his target before he goes to throw the ball at him. If you're a defender, you can drop in to coverage and intercept the ball". They even say that if you're only one step removed from "the idiot" then you always look the opposite way before throwing it. So now, as a defender you move towards the opposite way of his eyes and intercept the ball on that side.

I thought TVD was going to make his first cameo appearance and get wheeled out there. We all know the part he was going to be playing.

I honestly hope the kid figures it out. Right now everyone knows what his MO is and if he were a true gamesman and competitor, he'd find a way to use that to his advantage at this point. Again game theory. TVD can make any throw on the field, physically, but this part of his game needs serious work and he's got less than no time to figure it out.

The Offense the way it is now has worked against bad teams.

It will not work against FSU or LVille...

TBH, the Boston College game is gonna be a lot more of tough matchup than most might’ve thought at the beginning of the season.
What's the best fix, RPO and quick simple reads to prevent TVD from overthinking ? I assume they are running stuff to flood zones and giving WRs options to beat them and we just aren't executing it at a high enough clip.

I wish we would put brashard at RB and throw a screen to him..i seen a bunch of nice screens on dawson houston film need to pull them out
If they dial that up on one of NCSt's early down blitz calls, we make a house call.

The difference is if we win Saturday, we can go 9-3. Which would be a massive step in the right direction despite the rollercoaster of player/coaching performances to date

If we lose, 7-5 or 6-6.

Advertisement
Back