The big 3

Advertisement
Pitching is there.
Our defense and lack of clutch hitting may be a problem down the line.

Poorly timed errors have been a hallmark of Canes baseball for as long as I can remember. Not getting any better on that front.

As for hitting, I have no problem starting off slow if we get hot at the right time. You want the bats to come on around mid-April.

Advertisement
Keys to baseball

Coaching
Fielding
Hitting
Base running
Starting pitching
Relief pitching

Show me two we are great at.
Number one on your list is starting pitching by far. If our 3 weekend starters stay healthy, we will be tough to beat come postseason time,

Number one on your list is starting pitching by far. If our 3 weekend starters stay healthy, we will be tough to beat come postseason time,

This is exactly right. You need 3 good starting pitchers to get to Omaha. The great teams utilize their 4th (usually midweek) guy when they get there or if they need a 4th in regional play. If you stay in the winners bracket you won’t ever need that 4th starter unless he comes out of the bullpen.

Advertisement
Our weekend starters are Omaha caliber. But even with those guys we got swept at home against an Omaha caliber team. It's not enough.
This. It's one thing to be happy when the bats come alive against Pitt at home...but to extrapolate that out to our bats supporting our starting pitching when postseason play comes against tougher teams...ehhhhh...I mean...maybe that will happen, but we haven't seen much so far to support that it will.

this team reminds me of the one that was a 1 seed at home in the regional in (I believe ) 2014. Great pitching, couldn’t hit a lick vs good teams. Eliminated in the regional because we couldn’t hit Texas Tech.

I can't emphasis enough how much you overrate the importance of one series.

People keep saying one series. It’s a multiple year trend. We’ve been bad at fielding and hitting against quality teams for a very long time. It got us beat in Starkville last year and eliminated in 2015&2016.
Starting pitching can only carry you so far when you can’t score runs, as was proven in the UF series.

We are very early in this season and the bats have time to come alive but we are 5-4 against teams with a pulse and that is giving a lot of credit to Pitt.

Advertisement
Most postseason teams we'll see have great starting pitching too. Maybe not as good as ours, but enough to keep them within hailing distance against our hitters. If great starting pitching was the ONLY thing it took, we'd be an Omaha lock right now...however, there's more to the game than that.

Let's just say it's Super Regionals, after 6-7 innings both teams pull starters (maybe 8 max). As of right now, does anyone have great confidence in our bullpen and hitting in late innings to pull off a win? If so, why?

Advertisement
Most postseason teams we'll see have great starting pitching too. Maybe not as good as ours, but enough to keep them within hailing distance against our hitters. If great starting pitching was the ONLY thing it took, we'd be an Omaha lock right now...however, there's more to the game than that.

Let's just say it's Super Regionals, after 6-7 innings both teams pull starters (maybe 8 max). As of right now, does anyone have great confidence in our bullpen and hitting in late innings to pull off a win? If so, why?
How about making routine plays when outs are desperately needed? Or hitting a cut off man so a runner doesn't advance from 2nd to 3rd? Laying a bunt down to move a runner into scoring position? I have zero confidence in any of those details that win you games against good teams. Their is so much wrong with this team at the moment and all of it falls on Dimare's shoulders

No. Playing one of the best teams in the country at their place got us beat in Starkville last year.
I know, right? If only there had been a few series we could have won against teams like #4 Florida, #8 UNC, #5 NC St, or #8 Louisville during the season last year that would have allowed us to host that Regional. We would have won in Regionals for sure.

Oh........there were series like that? And we went a combined 3-9 in those series?

No worries...each one of those series were just ONE series...and we were HIGHLY competitive, guys. They didn't define our whole season last year. It's all good y'all.

How about making routine plays when outs are desperately needed? Or hitting a cut off man so a runner doesn't advance from 2nd to 3rd? Laying a bunt down to move a runner into scoring position? I have zero confidence in any of those details that win you games against good teams. Their is so much wrong with this team at the moment and all of it falls on Dimare's shoulders

When did any of that happen this weekend when outs were desperately needed? And remember: you said Pitt was damned good.

You keep saying that there is so much wrong but then all you can do is mention hitting a cut-off man or laying down a bunt.

You seem to have no coherent thoughts except that SO MUCH IS WRONG WITH THIS TEAM.

I know, right? If only there had been a few series we could have won against teams like #4 Florida, #8 UNC, #5 NC St, or #8 Louisville during the season last year that would have allowed us to host that Regional. We would have won in Regionals for sure.

Oh........there were series like that? And we went a combined 3-9 in those series?

Yeah, that was exactly my point.

If we were better then we would've hosted and been playing on the second weekend last year.

Your claim that poor fielding and the lack of timely hitting "got us beat in Starkville" is just facile nonsense.

Don't get snippy with me because you're either inarticulate or just wrong.

Advertisement
Back