The big 3

Advertisement
When did any of that happen this weekend when outs were desperately needed? And remember: you said Pitt was damned good.

You keep saying that there is so much wrong but then all you can do is mention hitting a cut-off man or laying down a bunt.

You seem to have no coherent thoughts except that SO MUCH IS WRONG WITH THIS TEAM.

top of the 3rd yesterday guy on first. Kid hits a base hit to right field. Gabe Rivera over throws the cut off man which leads to a run for Pitt (2-0) and advances runner from 1st to 2nd. If he hits the cut off man it's 1st and 3rd 2 outs.

Game 1 top of the 7th guy on 2nd and 3rd. Routine fly ball hit to right field. Thomas can't make the play (E) it scores 2 runs. Score 4-2 now.

Slade Cecconi is up in his pitch count. Upper 70's. Has a kid on first base. They execute a hit and run but slade gets a line drive to right field. Gabe Rivera can roll the ball to first to get the double play. Instead he over throws 1st and Slade is still in the inning. (Thank god for Slade Backing up 1st base or he is going to 2nd.)

Gabe Rivera doesn't realize there is 1 out on a lazy fly ball in infield he goes to far towards second thinking there is 2 outs and gets thrown out at first.
Terrible base running.

Don't remember if it was game 1 or 2 but Crosbie couldn't lay a bunt down to advance runner. Instead pops it up to catcher.

If you didn't see a poor defensive team last week while watching this club I don't know what to tell you.

top of the 3rd yesterday guy on first. Kid hits a base hit to right field. Gabe Rivera over throws the cut off man which leads to a run for Pitt (2-0) and advances runner from 1st to 2nd. If he hits the cut off man it's 1st and 3rd 2 outs.

We won 14-2.

So an out in the 3rd inning was not "desperately needed."

Yeah, that was exactly my point.

If we were better then we would've hosted and been playing on the second weekend last year.

Your claim that poor fielding and the lack of timely hitting "got us beat in Starkville" is just facile nonsense.

Don't get snippy with me because you're either inarticulate or just wrong.
I'll get snippy when and where I want, thank you very much. lol

But nevermind that the reason we were in Starkville to begin with (note - your excuse for losing in Regionals) is that we lost 4 series to 4 top 10 teams in the regular season. But - per your logic (and many others on here), each one of those series were "just one series, and you can't judge the whole season off of one series"...and then proceed to ostrich your head in the sand when the indicators are pointed out by others that we can't beat good teams because we're fundamentally flawed.

Going forward, GTFOOH with that "it's just one series" argument. It's freaking lame, and it's weak as dish water. Last season puts that **** to bed, and this season has pretty much shown the same thing. Beating Rutgers, Towson, and Pitt in weekend series doesn't get you to Omaha. Beating good teams like Florida in weekend series put you in advantageous situations like - I dunno - hosting a Regional so you don't have to go to ******* Starkville to begin with, and helps your chances of getting to Omaha. Nevermind not losing to FAU 11-2 in midweek matchups helps your cause too.

Also, I didn't claim poor fielding/lack of timely hitting got us beat in Starkville. It's not a claim I made, someone else did. But enough arguing semantics...anyone watching those games could see that's how Miss St beat us, except for you apparently.

If playing in Starkville is your excuse, then guess what - this team has multiple chances to avoid playing in Starkville or wherever else the committee would like to send us besides Mark Light Field. It's called beating good teams in weekend series. So far, against good teams who are Omaha contenders this season, we're a stellar 0-3...keeping in step with that 3-9 trend of last year. You're 100% right...we're on the right track. Keep it up guys! (y)(y)(y)(y)

As of today, going off of Baseball America's rankings, we have #6 Louisville, #10 Duke, #15 UCF (midweek), #17 UVA, #19 FSU, and #22 Clemson remaining. Let's see how the trend continues. If trends hold, we will probably beat UVA/FSU/Clemson (and maybe UCF), and all will be proclaimed well by your ilk. If we go somewhere between 0-6 or 2-4 against Duke/Louisville though, they'll each just be "one series"...and that "one series" line of thinking will be what you called "facile nonsense".

Advertisement
If you didn't see a poor defensive team last week while watching this club I don't know what to tell you.

You said that we couldn't make routine plays when we desperately needed outs and then you couldn't name a single example.

Then when confronted with this you just pivoted to the response above.

It's called changing the subject.

But - per your logic (and many others on here), each one of those series were "just one series, and you can't judge the whole season off of one series"...and then proceed to ostrich your head in the sand when the indicators are pointed out by others that we can't beat good teams because we're fundamentally flawed.

No, now you're just lying.

tcgrad alluding to the Florida series in this thread is, indeed, just one series.

Nobody else seems to be confused by this.

Advertisement
Going forward, GTFOOH with that "it's just one series" argument. It's freaking lame, and it's weak as dish water.

When tcgrad alludes to one series then I'll say that it's just one series.

Because it's the truth.

I don't know what to tell you.

No, now you're just lying.

tcgrad alluding to the Florida series in this thread is, indeed, just one series.

Nobody else seems to be confused by this.
Just answer one question and/or fvck off (I'm good with either): Were the UF/UL/UNC/NC St series last year each, in your view, "just one series", and nothing we needed to be worried about at the time?

Beating Rutgers, Towson, and Pitt in weekend series doesn't get you to Omaha. Beating good teams like Florida in weekend series put you in advantageous situations like - I dunno - hosting a Regional so you don't have to go to ******* Starkville to begin with, and helps your chances of getting to Omaha. Nevermind not losing to FAU 11-2 in midweek matchups helps your cause too.

Losing to Florida doesn't NOT get you to Omaha either.

In fact, the last time we beat Florida in a series (2014) we lost in the Regional. The next two seasons (both series losses to Florida) we did go to Omaha.

There's no correlation between the outcomes against Florida and the outcome of the season. None whatsoever.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just answer one question and/or fvck off (I'm good with either): Were the UF/UL/UNC/NC St series last year each, in your view, "just one series", and nothing we needed to be worried about at the time?

Florida wasn't even that good last year. See, you just cherry-pick the examples that fit your narrative. Notice how you didn't mention Georgia Tech (who won the Coastal) or Florida State (who went to Omaha). Why? Because we won both of those series.

No, those were perfectly in-line with the issues that were at the core of last year's team: bullpen/middle relief.

They were perfectly consistent with the quality and shape of last year's team. Would've won Florida and Louisville series without scoring any more runs if out pitching would've held up.

So no missed cut-off men or lack of getting a bunt down.

Advertisement
We are 11-4. We play UCF Wed and that's a game we need to win after FAU kicked our *** last Wed. Right now this is not an Omaha team. BUT we have over 45 games to play. We have the rotation to make Omaha, and the bats woke up a little this weekend (or Pitt sucks, who knows). Gil is in a major funk and either need to be sat for a while or moved down. Lala is the key to this offense and he had a GREAT weekend, I loved seeing that.

Realistically we won't know where we really stand for a few weeks as VT won't tell us a ton but the UVA/Duke series will be key. ND just swept UNC this weekend and they are in that stretch as well.

I go to Omaha every June, right now I would say there is about a 30% chance we make it, but that can change in 3 months

Last edited:
Losing to Florida doesn't NOT get you to Omaha either.

In fact, the last time we beat Florida in a series, (2014) we lost in the Regional. The next two seasons (both series losses to Florida) we did go to Omaha.

There's no correlation between the outcomes against Florida and the outcome of the season. None whatsoever.
Wait a minute there sparky...you can't have this both ways.

Your post above assumes we're viewing the UF series this year in a vacuum...that our assertion is that we aren't going to Omaha because we got swept at home by UF...and that's the only reason. No...the rest of us are smart enough to look at trends over multiple seasons and trust our eyes about who this squad is telling us they actually are.

Also - when judging off of last season, which is most pertinent to what this team is doing this season, we went 3-9 against top 10 opponents during the regular season, 3-10 if you count the loss in Starkville where according to you - no one can beat the mighty Bulldogs. That's more than "just one series" against UF. It's a pretty prevalent issue against top 10/Omaha-type squads.

I want this team this year to prove me wrong. If they can find ways to beat UL/Duke in series this year, and not step on their collective d1cks in other matchups, then maybe that means a Regional host and even a national seed. I'll be rooting for that to happen. However, that 0-3 showing at home against UF isn't a good harbinger of things to come, especially when combined with 3-10 against top 10 teams last year.

All of these "just one series" adds up to what kind of season you put together in front of the committee for Regional selections. Beating the likes of Rutgers/Towson/Pitt like you're supposed to probably gets you in the postseason. Not tripping on your d1cks agianst FAU might help you get a Regional host. Not getting swept by UF at home and stealing 1 or 2 might lock that Regional host in and give you a shot at a National Seed. Sweeping UF might help you get a National Seed and a better road to Omaha.

I've never looked at these series as "just one series" like you dummies tend to do. They're putting together a full resume for the committee, and right now, it's pretty good. Is it Regional host good? Maybe - but we could be headed for doom by playing in "Starkville" (or somewhere like that, on the road at least) where you've asserted we didn't have a chance. Is it National Seed good? Not with the UF-sweep on there, no (IMO), and considering we have to buck our trend of not beating Top 10/Omaha-type teams.

We are 11-4. We play UCF Wed and that's a game we need to win after FAU kicked our *** last Wed. Right now this is not an Omaha team. BUT we have over 45 games to play. We have the rotation to make Omaha, and the bats woke up a little this weekend (or Pitt sucks, who knows). Gil is in a major funk and either need to be sat for a while or moved down. Lala is the key to this offense and he had a GREAT weekend, I loved seeing that.

Realistically we won't know where we really stand for a few weeks as VT won't tell us a ton but the UVA/Duke series will be key. ND just swept UNC this weekend and they are in that stretch as well.

I'm go to Omaha every June, right now I would say there is about a 30% chance we make it, but that can change in 3 months
Well put. This is very reasonable.

Advertisement
Back