Keys to baseball

Coaching
Fielding
Hitting
Base running
Starting pitching
Relief pitching

Show me two we are great at.

Michigan came with in 1 game of winning the CWS last year with average to below average everything, except for 3 elite starting pitchers.

You can literally win the whole thing on starting pitching alone. It dwarfs everything else. Obviously to win enough to be a national seed you need a more well-rounded team, but the way the post-season is structured I'll take 3 great SP over almost any combination on that list.

This team was ranked high because of starting pitching and hitting. I don't think anyone had illusions we were any better than average in other categories. Hopefully the bats have more games like yesterday. If they do, we'll be really tough to beat, at least on weekends. If they don't we'll still have a chance in the post-season but we probably will be a 2 seed again

Adam F.: As a Miami fan, what should be my biggest concern, that Miami is hitting 263? That there average with RISP is abysmal or that Raymond Gil is hitting below the Mendoza Line? Also do you see Miami turning the hitting around and living up to their top 10 pre – season billing?
Aaron Fitt: I’m really not concerned about the offense. Gil is too talented not to get hot, I really think he’ll figure it out soon. I thought Miami would be one of the best offensive teams in the country, and I think it’s fair to downgrade that expectation a little bit (especially with Zamora out), but I still think they’ll be one of the better offenses in the ACC, and obviously their starting pitching is truly elite. Still an easy top-10 team for me, still an Omaha club.

Michigan came with in 1 game of winning the CWS last year with average to below average everything, except for 3 elite starting pitchers.

You can literally win the whole thing on starting pitching alone. It dwarfs everything else. Obviously to win enough to be a national seed you need a more well-rounded team, but the way the post-season is structured I'll take 3 great SP over almost any combination on that list.

This team was ranked high because of starting pitching and hitting. I don't think anyone had illusions we were any better than average in other categories. Hopefully the bats have more games like yesterday. If they do, we'll be really tough to beat, at least on weekends. If they don't we'll still have a chance in the post-season but we probably will be a 2 seed again
That Michigan team was so **** good at hitting with runners on

Pitching is there.
Our defense and lack of clutch hitting may be a problem down the line.
I think the hitting will come. The defense is going to be a problem all year. There's going to be times in close games where the defense gives up runs. Unfortunately, this gives extra outs and drives up pitch counts. We've seen this happen to McMahon and Ceconni.

I just hope the offense generates a lot of runs to give the team comfortable leads because I don't trust our defense in the late innings of close games.

Advertisement
We won 14-2.

So an out in the 3rd inning was not "desperately needed."
Stop with the excuses. This is not a good fielding team. I like Jenkins and Lala but right field is average at best.

With Zamora out, we're not as athletic in the infield. Gil and Toral are good fielders, but both lack defensive athleticism. That 1st baseman for Pitt is an elite defender with range. He put on a defensive show over the weekend. I've yet to see Toral make an unassisted put out at 1st. I've never seen Gil make a diving play at 3rd even when he hugging the line. I remember Michaelangeli making those diving doubles robbing plays look routine.

We are not the most athletic team on defense. The guys need to make all the routine plays to make up for the ones they can't make.

Last edited:
Stop with the excuses. This is not a good fielding team. I like Jenkins and Lala but right field is average at best.

With Zamora out, we're not as athletic in the infield. Gil and Toral are good fielders, but both lack defensive athleticism. That 1st baseman for Pitt is an elite defender with range. He put on a defensive show over the weekenI've yet to see Toral make an unassisted put out at 1st. I've never seen Gil make a diving play at 3rd even when he hugging the line. I remember Michaelangeli making those diving doubles robbing plays look routine.

We are not the most athletic team on defense. The guys need to make all the routine plays to make up for the ones they can't make.
I haven't seen a Miami team make as many stellar defensive plays as Pittsburgh did in one series in over 10 years. That's why I kept reitterating how much they impressed me. Making huge defensive plays in critical moments of games. If those were hit at our defense I'm not sure we make a single one of those plays.

If Toral bolts after this year I'd like to see GIl take his place at 1B (assuming he doesn't actually suck), Tuero at 2B, Vilar at SS and Zamora at 3B.

If Toral bolts after this year I'd like to see GIl take his place at 1B (assuming he doesn't actually suck), Tuero at 2B, Vilar at SS and Zamora at 3B.
We may have a lot of guys to replace, likely all 3 starters and Keysor (Slade should not but the arm talent will make him). Zamora hopefully returns but not a given, Toral, maybe a few others test the waters that should not.

This team needs to get to Omaha

Advertisement
We may have a lot of guys to replace, likely all 3 starters and Keysor (Slade should not but the arm talent will make him). Zamora hopefully returns but not a given, Toral, maybe a few others test the waters that should not.

Next year's team is looking like a rebuild. Not good.

Zamora is gone. He has too many tools to stay another year. He probably isn’t good enough to play shortstop at the pro level but they will find a spot for him at 2nd

Zamora is gone. He has too many tools to stay another year. He probably isn’t good enough to play shortstop at the pro level but they will find a spot for him at 2nd
He might be, or missing the entire season and not proven healthy off an injury he may come back. I'm not sure it's 100% done either way my man

Advertisement
I haven't seen a Miami team make as many stellar defensive plays as Pittsburgh did in one series in over 10 years. That's why I kept reitterating how much they impressed me. Making huge defensive plays in critical moments of games. If those were hit at our defense I'm not sure we make a single one of those plays.
Well, we did have some good defensive team a few years ago, but I do agree that Pitt was pretty impressive. Especially, for a northern team that hasn't practiced outside very much.

Well, we did have some good defensive team a few years ago, but I do agree that Pitt was pretty impressive. Especially, for a northern team that hasn't practiced outside very much.
They had some Florida kids on their roster, I was surprised by how many. The 1B would have likely came here had it not been for Toral. Wisecane is friends with the family.

/has 0 to do with Pitts D, just an observation

Care to tell me which year you're referring too? I can't for the life of me think of a good defensive team in last 10 years

Advertisement
Care to tell me which year you're referring too? I can't for the life of me think of a good defensive team in last 10 years

Yeah 2016 led the NCAA in fielding %, and was easily one of the best in the country. Barr was the best defensive 1B I've ever seen here, Lopez was the best fielding SS in the country that year, Ruiz and Collins were solid, and the OF had plus fielders at all 3 spots.

That team is definitely an outlier for our program though

totally agree with this.

the great Miami teams were always, first and foremost, great defensive teams. they covered a lot of ground with their speed and didn't make errors.

we haven't had that in years.

Our weekend starters are Omaha caliber. But even with those guys we got swept at home against an Omaha caliber team. It's not enough.

Exactly.

Difference in an undefeated UF team and Us. Both have great pitching.....one has solid fielding and base running, with a skipper screaming about the importance of such things.

We have to tighten the F- up and hope the bats can stay alive....but with our pitching, less errors and better base running can win quite a few bad hitting games. I hope DiMare is hammering this point home every minute of Monday - Thursday....but if so, it has yet to show up in any consistent way.

Advertisement
Back