The big 3

Next year's team is looking like a rebuild. Not good.

Too early to know either way. There's a ton of impact talent in the HS and Juco recruiting classes, and it's still too soon to get a read on who all we'll lose from the current team. It could be a major rebuild. It could also be an Omaha caliber team. The rest of the ACC is going to lose a lot, especially on the pitching side, so it might just be a down year overall.

Advertisement
Exactly.

Difference in an undefeated UF team and Us. Both have great pitching.....one has solid fielding and base running, with a skipper screaming about the importance of such things.

We have to tighten the F- up and hope the bats can stay alive....but with our pitching, less errors and better base running can win quite a few bad hitting games. I hope DiMare is hammering this point home every minute of Monday - Thursday....but if so, it has yet to show up in any consistent way.
I unfortunately don't think Dimare hammers those subjects. Need to ask @rokulika what he sees in practice. I'm not sure this team practices base running, relays, and or fielding during practices in spring or fall.

Care to tell me which year you're referring too? I can't for the life of me think of a good defensive team in last 10 years
Like the other poster said, 2016. I think that the year they had Edgar Michelangeli and Chris Barr at the corners, plus Ruiz at 2nd. The outfield was very good as well. There was Heyward, Chester, and Abreu. I believe all 3 outfielders are playing pro ball. That was probably the best fielding team of the last decade.

I unfortunately don't think Dimare hammers those subjects. Need to ask @rokulika what he sees in practice. I'm not sure this team practices base running, relays, and or fielding during practices in spring or fall.
I'm sure he does. The players have to make the routine plays. Not having Zamora makes the infield just average because Vilar is out of position and is a better 2nd baseman than shortstop though he played shortstop in high school.

The problem is that they're making too many errors on routine plays and a few don't have the athleticism to make the exceptional plays.

The team is going to have to hit much better if it's going to make a run to Omaha. Our starting pitching is going to keep us in games, but the defense may let a run or two get by placing more pressure to produce offensively.

Advertisement
I'm sure he does. The players have to make the routine plays. Not having Zamora makes the infield just average because Vilar is out of position and is a better 2nd baseman than shortstop though he played shortstop in high school.

The problem is that they're making too many errors on routine plays and a few don't have the athleticism to make the exceptional plays.

The team is going to have to hit much better if it's going to make a run to Omaha. Our starting pitching is going to keep us in games, but the defense may let a run or two get by placing more pressure to produce offensively.

Not having Zamora is a poor excuse. He was a horrible fielder.

Yeah, and that's what scares me, it honestly seems like they are sent out to play after return Cape Cod with zero real coaching here.

I know that's bull**** and impossible, but sometimes it makes me wonder how, with this kind of talent and the standard of baseball UM has always been held to....these guys make the sometimes ludicrous blunders they make.

Not having Zamora is a poor excuse. He was a horrible fielder.
No. He's got range and can make spectacular plays. He made too many errors on routine balls last year, but I expect that he cleaned that up and is expected to be a 1st-3rd round pick despite not playing this year.

Losing Zamora makes us a lot less athletic in the infield. The team could make up for the loss by making the routine plays at a much higher clip.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back