The BEST RB on the team...

The more carries Fletcher gets the better he looks to me. I don't think he's great in a zone scheme because he struggles reading which gap to attack but when the run is designed to go to a specific spot, he's shown the ability to both move the pile and break runs open if given space. He's still pretty much a north/south guy and isn't shifty although he tries to be sometimes. But he's not slow and builds momentum quickly. I think working him in tandem with a smaller, faster guy like a Chris Johnson would be ideal in the future. If they want to continue with a zone heavy Inside/outside run scheme, Parrish is still the best guy when it comes to picking the right spot and being patient.

Chaney is still probably the best size/speed combo on the roster but he's too inconsistent and obviously has had the injury issues. He'll have a run where he looks like the best back we've had since Duke and then he'll get two more carries where he just runs into the pile and falls down.

Advertisement
13th & Final Game Update & Observations:
- Good bounce back in explosive runs from the RB's. 1st 6 P5 games - 3 20+ yds runs, 0 30+ yd runs. Last 4 P5 games - 8 20+ yds runs, 3 30+ yd runs.
- Overall - I'd say our RB's performed above average, but a little disappointing given our good OL play.
- I didn't think we'd have a single RB average over 5 ypc vs P5, and in the end we had 2 which was great to see - Parrish & Allen both did.
- I believe this was the only time we've had 4 RB's with 70+ attempts in a season. The rotation was about as balanced as it's ever been.
- Our RB's receiving numbers were the worst they've been since 1994. It was so bad that I don't even want to get into it.

As I've posted before, the benchmarks to use are:

5.5 ypc overall is the benchmark for a good RB. Parrish topped that.
5.0 ypc is what we should expect a good RB to be above vs P5. Parrish & Allen topped that.
4.5 ypc vs P5 teams is the minimum vs P5. Only Chaney was below that

This is why you can't use Non-P5 games to measure performance. Our RB's averaged 2.4 less ypc vs P5 teams.

1704409710225.png

In terms of overall performance, I've said many times a good OL can only do so much. The RB has to make plays beyond the holes that are created.

Here's how our RB's stack up against each ACC teams leading rusher this year

1704410065086.png

Here's how our RB's 2023 performance stacks up to our other RB's since 2010

1704410948565.png

If we could actually get up big in a game he could possibly.
Cribby, any information on Trevonte Citizen's CURRENT condition after the initial 3 practices? The guy on TOS (rhymes with vermin) stated today that he doubts that Citizen is able to return to actually playing. I had the impression that, while still a bit gimpy, his knee had recovered significantly and he is practicing well with all indications of playing. Any insight appreciated.

Advertisement
Cribby, any information on Trevonte Citizen's CURRENT condition after the initial 3 practices? The guy on TOS (rhymes with vermin) stated today that he doubts that Citizen is able to return to actually playing. I had the impression that, while still a bit gimpy, his knee had recovered significantly and he is practicing well with all indications of playing. Any insight appreciated.
Now that they’ve seen him more than in the past it’s not sounding very positive. This is his first real action and he’s physically taken some steps back. It’s still early in spring but he’s looking noticeably different. The injuries have really set him back. I’m just being honest. Id give it a tad more time though. Let’s wait for full pads.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Chris Johnson good speed, I want to see him at full AFTERBURNER just breaking through first level then RAMMING THAT SHIFTER HARD FULL THROTTLE.

I remember Bo Jackson describing his full afterburner.

“ I breakthrough to daylight the breeze is picking up on my face as I keep accelerating I’m all alone “

The greatest description of running to daylight and what it feels like .

GOCANES

Now that they’ve seen him more than in the past it’s not sounding very positive. This is his first real action and he’s physically taken some steps back. It’s still early in spring but he’s looking noticeably different. The injuries have really set him back. I’m just being honest. Id give it a tad more time though. Let’s wait for full pads.

tough news. We need to find a real difference-maker for that room.

Advertisement
****, if Mario can give McCormick a 14th season to try and be an all conference player, Citizen should get a few more months

Citizen is the X-factor of the room. If he can contribute, the room is in good hands. If not, we are an injury or two from have a really depleted room. My fear is even if healthy, did he lose a step. It seemed like Chaney did, and Citizens injury must have been worse given he was out so long.

Fletcher seems like the only guy as of now to have an NFL future. I like Fletcher, you need grind it out backs like him, but it did seem like he lacked top end speed.

I hope we can utilize Chris Johnson more this year, and Chris Wheatley Humprey as well. Explosive speed backs can break a game open. Give them some designed plays that give them the ball in space.

Allen is a good depth piece but doesn't seem to be great in any particular area.

Will be interesting to see how Lyle looks in the summer as well.

Happens everywhere can’t control injuries
You can't control injuries but how often do you see college age kids, who usually heal pretty well bc of age and lack if mileage, NOT return from the same injuries and within the same timeframe most other kids do? There's been an odd trend in recent years. That's the topic at hand. Not the injury itself.

Advertisement
I'm hopeful we don't need much from Lyle as a freshman. Can't help but wonder if Fletcher was overused, contributing to injury. I'd rather see these high-potential HS prospects eased in at RB, give them time to adjust to college game and develop physically.

You can't control injuries but how often do you see college age kids, who usually heal pretty well bc of age and lack if mileage, NOT return from the same injuries and within the same timeframe most other kids do? There's been an odd trend in recent years. That's the topic at hand. Not the injury itself.
Right. Clemson has these dudes back running 4.3s 6 months later (Amari Rodgers) and ours take 2 years and still never recover. Strange

Hate to hear that. A Cane blogger posted a video of the RBs practicing ( 2nd day) and I thought he looked good… the lateral quickness and cuts were there… speed seems to be there. I thought he looked the best in the group.. but what do I know

Hope we can get at least a year of a healthy Citizen.. I believe he is the most talented of all our RBs

Advertisement
Back