The BEST RB on the team...

That does not prove he is more explosive. That proves he averaged more yards per carry.
Yeah that’s a horrible argument.

1) he averaged 4.7 yards at 18
2) he did that behind a god awful OL

Chaney pre-injuries averages at least 6YPC behind Miami’s OL in 2023, that’s not even factoring in development with age.

Advertisement
I didn't say Chaney was more explosive post-ACL. I said his explosiveness was about the same.

My point being - in general, we tend to overrate/over-hype our RB's ability when they're younger, so we tend to overstate how much their injuries affected them.
Do we tend to overhype players abilities? Absolutely, but you’re wrong here. Not saying it was UMs fault but Chaney was significantly more explosive before injuries.

You do realize he was a 10.7 guy with a verified 4.5 40 & 4.1 short shuttle in HS?

He also had a verified 40 inch vert and was a state champion high jumper. You can’t overhype natural explosiveness, Chaney was one of the highest graded athletes at the Opening - which strictly measures explosiveness.

AR82: career prematurely ended. Head/ Neck area
Wilder: career prematurely ended: head/neck area
Malik Young: career prematurely ended: head/neck area
Blisset: career prematurely ended: head/ neck area

Chaney: ACL
Fletcher: rumor is Lisfranc
Citizen: rumor is he tore the same acl twice

The above is the reason why our medical staff is always in question. We had 4 head injury retirements just from the mark Richt era…

Regardless of what happened to Citizen, hes on the Chaney path. You don’t miss 2 years and miraculously be a successful back. Need to land 2 studs this cycle bc who knows what will happen to Fletcher

U forgot Nelson

Do we tend to overhype players abilities? Absolutely, but you’re wrong here. Not saying it was UMs fault but Chaney was significantly more explosive before injuries.

You do realize he was a 10.7 guy with a verified 4.5 40 & 4.1 short shuttle in HS?

He also had a verified 40 inch vert and was a state champion high jumper. You can’t overhype natural explosiveness, Chaney was one of the highest graded athletes at the Opening - which strictly measures explosiveness.

I'm not questioning how he tested in HS - but what does Chaney test at now? How do you know if it's significantly worse?

I'm not saying Chaney hasn't lost a step - I'm just saying how much is probably overstated.

Pre-ACL - 79 carries - 4 20+ yd runs. Long of 33 yds
Post-ACL - 96 carries - 5 20+ yd runs. Long of 29 yds

Athletic testing aside - the on-field results were pretty similar.

Now that they’ve seen him more than in the past it’s not sounding very positive. This is his first real action and he’s physically taken some steps back. It’s still early in spring but he’s looking noticeably different. The injuries have really set him back. I’m just being honest. Id give it a tad more time though. Let’s wait for full pads.
That sucks to hear but I keep hearing conflicting reports on this from people that are in practice. For example Flo said he’s looking real good and doesn’t look like he’s been through a knee surgery at all with his explosiveness still there and everything. I really hope this kid can become what he was again. We definitely need him!

Advertisement

The above is the reason why our medical staff is always in question. We had 4 head injury retirements just from the mark Richt era…

Regardless of what happened to Citizen, hes on the Chaney path. You don’t miss 2 years and miraculously be a successful back. Need to land 2 studs this cycle bc who knows what will happen to Fletcher
Add Zion in there too.

Something is up, it’s more than just bad luck at this point.

I had a theory that Manny laid off the practice physicality too much so that when Mario took over the players weren't resilient enough. I generally think teams that tackle to the ground in practice are more resilient, provided they're coached sound technique. But maybe that's rationalizing.

I'm not questioning how he tested in HS - but what does Chaney test at now? How do you know if it's significantly worse?

I'm not saying Chaney hasn't lost a step - I'm just saying how much is probably overstated.

Pre-ACL - 79 carries - 4 20+ yd runs. Long of 33 yds
Post-ACL - 96 carries - 5 20+ yd runs. Long of 29 yds

Athletic testing aside - the on-field results were pretty similar.
You can’t compare his numbers pre-injury, he plays a position dependent on his OL, which was one of the worst in America when running the ball (94th in YPR in 2021) before Mario arrived.

I would bet my life that Chaney doesn’t run anything under a 4.60. Once again, not saying it’s UMs fault but it’s VERY clear the explosiveness he had when he arrived was gone. Chaney (pre-injuries) runs for 150+ in Noles game this past year. He would’ve housed at least 2 runs that he got caught from behind on.

You can’t compare his numbers pre-injury, he plays a position dependent on his OL, which was one of the worst in America when running the ball (94th in YPR in 2021) before Mario arrived.

I would bet my life that Chaney doesn’t run anything under a 4.60. Once again, not saying it’s UMs fault but it’s VERY clear the explosiveness he had when he arrived was gone. Chaney (pre-injuries) runs for 150+ in Noles game this past year. He would’ve housed at least 2 runs that he got caught from behind on.

IMO - Chaney had multiple chances his Freshman year (UAB, Duke, Oregon St, etc) where in the open field he had a chance to turn the corner and didn't really do it. To my eyes - I don't see why he would've housed the FSU runs last year when he didn't house these runs his FR year.

Again, this is just what I see and I've got no issue if you feel different - but when he got in the open field as a FR he didn't look as athletic as his reputation/testing numbers would indicate

Advertisement
IMO - Chaney had multiple chances his Freshman year (UAB, Duke, Oregon St, etc) where in the open field he had a chance to turn the corner and didn't really do it. To my eyes - I don't see why he would've housed the FSU runs last year when he didn't house these runs his FR year.

Again, this is just what I see and I've got no issue if you feel different - but when he got in the open field as a FR he didn't look as athletic as his reputation/testing numbers would indicate

Sure, I was more focused on your YPC = same explosiveness pre injury.

I think we can all agree Rooster was explosive no? He averaged 3.9 YPC on those same teams with pre-injury Chaney. As soon as Mario/Mirabal got here his average went up to 5.4 YPC, and that was with an OL that is a shell compared to 2023.

Rooster would’ve averaged 6.5 YPC here this past year easily (similar to Parrish’s 6.3 - who we can agree lacks that next gear). Only problem is he would’ve fumbled 12 times.

And with all that said, he wasn't the same after the injury. He still had a good run in the league, but he had the skill set to be elite, had he not gotten hurt
No doubt he would have been elite. One of my favorites.

Heart-breaking night as a Cane fan to first see that, then the BS outcome at the end. F'in Porter..... I was almost 5 seconds into my celebration before he threw that ridiculous flag. :mad:

It’s understandable to question the staff.

Respectfully though, it’s incorrect to lump every individual player’s circumstance and result into one pile. Again understandable, but the incorrect way to go about it. Miami is not doing anything markedly different than other medical staffs. A few individual cases aside through the years, there’s no pattern of behavior which warrants concern. Some guys are less apt to take the risk of permanent injury. Some don’t have the ability to clear the mental hurdles which is the case for a couple you’ve mentioned. All circumstances are different.

IMO, some have beat the medical staff is garbage drum because we’ve been so devoid of depth and talent the past 20 years that we tend to feel the pain of an injury more than many others.

Advertisement
Sure, I was more focused on your YPC = same explosiveness pre injury.

I think we can all agree Rooster was explosive no? He averaged 3.9 YPC on those same teams with pre-injury Chaney. As soon as Mario/Mirabal got here his average went up to 5.4 YPC, and that was with an OL that is a shell compared to 2023.

Rooster would’ve averaged 6.5 YPC here this past year easily (similar to Parrish’s 6.3 - who we can agree lacks that next gear). Only problem is he would’ve fumbled 12 times.
This is what I mean by "we overrate our RB's" - blaming Knighton's 3.9 ypc on the OL & saying he'd easily average 6.5 ypc last year.

Knighton simply wasn't the talent he was hyped up to be.

Advertisement
Overrate em on the way in and trash em on the way out…
Star Wars Baby Yoda GIF by LEGO

Advertisement
Back