The Banner is a stupid idea and other thoughts

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
- I've tried to write an in-depth breakdown of the loss, but I just don't have the will to watch the film. The game made me physically sick. I've got a newborn, and the least I've slept was Monday night because my stomach was in knots. It's not that I expected to win. I had no clue and went in with a totally open mind. It's that everything was so **** familiar. Dade County players making plays for Louisville, inexplicable Gus Edwards runs on third down, players melting down on the sideline. It was the Rustled Bowl with green helmets.

What really kills me is that I can no longer see light at the end of the tunnel. Nebraska is pure mediocrity and the world still expects us to get smoked. And they should. We are what we've shown over the past three years. We consistently lose to less-talented teams, and we can no longer blame it on youth or adjustment to a system.

- As for the banner, I think it's stupid. People have the right to express themselves (that's why this site exists) but I don't want to be associated with it. Call me a communist or a ***g0t or whatever you want, but that's where I stand. I regret that I wasn't online to delete those threads earlier. The people planning this are true fans with pure motives-- you guys just want to see Canes football again. But I can't personally endorse this approach.

Why is the banner stupid? It's September 3rd. The guy isn't getting fired on Sunday. There is a season to be played that we waited nine months for. Do I expect anything to change over the next 11 games? No. Three years of results have killed any blind optimism I have. But this banner is going to be nothing but a distraction for the players and fodder for dip**** local writers and a national media that feeds off Miami negativity. Let it play out. If Golden is the coach that history suggests he is, the fanbase won't need any banner.

I can tell you that the people who actually matter are getting fed up with the product on the field. They see the same things you do. But these decision-makers won't look at this banner as an eye-opener. They will look at it as an embarrassment.

- Re: Kaaya/Heaps, people need to be consistent. First, the coaches were too gutless to start a true freshman. Now they're idiots for doing it. Heaps got beat out because Kaaya is a better quarterback.

Where the coaches failed (and Golden basically admitted this) is neutering Kaaya on game day. The reason they picked Kaaya over Heaps is because Heaps is extremely limited. He's too short to do anything in the middle of the field, he's unathletic, and there are many he throws he can't make. Kaaya can make those throws and has the height and length to see over the scrum. But all those advantages go out the window when you totally limit the game plan.

This is the most fundamental reason we lost on Monday and it falls squarely on the coaches. And even though I think we win that game with Ryan Williams, they can't use his injury as a crutch. Golden signed off on Preston Dewey, Gray Crow and Kevin Olsen. There isn't a serviceable quarterback in the bunch. Kaaya getting the start is a direct result of those signings.

Everything else has been said better than I could say it. It's an embarrassing time to be a Canes fan. See you on Saturday.

Advertisement
Waste of money, do you think trustees give a **** about a banner? If they don't fire Golden then what are they worried the 25k fans who come to the game are gonna do? Not come to the game? Donate your money to a charity instead.

- I've tried to write an in-depth breakdown of the loss, but I just don't have the will to watch the film. The game made me physically sick. I've got a newborn, and the least I've slept was Monday night because my stomach was in knots. It's not that I expected to win. I had no clue and went in with a totally open mind. It's that everything was so **** familiar. Dade County players making plays for Louisville, inexplicable Gus Edwards runs on third down, players melting down on the sideline. It was the Rustled Bowl with green helmets.

What really kills me is that I can no longer see light at the end of the tunnel. Nebraska is pure mediocrity and the world still expects us to get smoked. And they should. We are what we've shown over the past three years. We consistently lose to less-talented teams, and we can no longer blame it on youth or adjustment to a system.

- As for the banner, I think it's stupid. People have the right to express themselves (that's why this site exists) but I don't want to be associated with it. Call me a communist or a ***g0t or whatever you want, but that's where I stand. I regret that I wasn't online to delete those threads earlier. The people planning this are true fans with pure motives-- you guys just want to see Canes football again. But I can't personally endorse this approach.

Why is the banner stupid? It's September 3rd. The guy isn't getting fired on Sunday. There is a season to be played that we waited nine months for. Do I expect anything to change over the next 11 games? No. Three years of results have killed any blind optimism I have. But this banner is going to be nothing but a distraction for the players and fodder for dip**** local writers and a national media that feeds off Miami negativity. Let it play out. If Golden is the coach that history suggests he is, the fanbase won't need any banner.

I can tell you that the people who actually matter are getting fed up with the product on the field. They see the same things you do. But these decision-makers won't look at this banner as an eye-opener. They will look at it as an embarrassment.

- Re: Kaaya/Heaps, people need to be consistent. First, the coaches were too gutless to start a true freshman. Now they're idiots for doing it. Heaps got beat out because Kaaya is a better quarterback.

Where the coaches failed (and Golden basically admitted this) is neutering Kaaya on game day. The reason they picked Kaaya over Heaps is because Heaps is extremely limited. He's too short to do anything in the middle of the field, he's unathletic, and there are many he throws he can't make. Kaaya can make those throws and has the height and length to see over the scrum. But all those advantages go out the window when you totally limit the game plan.

This is the most fundamental reason we lost on Monday and it falls squarely on the coaches. And even though I think we win that game with Ryan Williams, they can't use his injury as a crutch. Golden signed off on Preston Dewey, Gray Crow and Kevin Olsen. There isn't a serviceable quarterback in the bunch. Kaaya getting the start is a direct result of those signings.

Everything else has been said better than I could say it. It's an embarrassing time to be a Canes fan. See you on Saturday.
Well said....

Completely disagree D$.

The banner will get people talking. We need Al out by any means neccessary.

Advertisement

Agree 100 on this post

This is the most fundamental reason we lost on Monday and it falls squarely on the coaches.

Have to disagree here. As bad as the play-calling was, and it was absolutely horrific, I don't think it would have made a difference behind that ****bag excuse for an offensive line. We're going to need better blocking before Coley's play calls and Kayaa's arm become relevant.

Advertisement
You guys are like the guys who call in on the radio and say what changes the Canes need to make. Do you think after a decade of absolutely ****** football that Donna Shalala gives a sht about what the fans think? Absolutely not. Go feed the homeless with the money. Fire Coker, Shannon, D'Nofrio, does it ever stop? Didn't we fly a banner last year praising Golden?!?! LOL. Maybe I should start a banner company, you guys are worth the business.

Completely disagree D$.

Right, because no one is aware that we looked like dogsht on Monday night. Flying a banner will get everyone to look at the score and realize we lost. Brilliant plan.

Agreed, let's not drag the program and players through the mud any further. Every program in the country will be blasting that gif and the fact we've turned on our team. I want to experience the "Orgeron-effect" USC did with a few pieces swapped out to capitalize on our talent, but no banner makes that happen.

Besides, we're the same group (I contributed) that flew the classy "Thank you, Golden" banner 12 months ago. No need to diminish that with douchbaggery.

Advertisement

This makes me feel a little better

It's that everything was so **** familiar. Dade County players making plays for Louisville, inexplicable Gus Edwards runs on third down, players melting down on the sideline. It was the Rustled Bowl with green helmets.
You left out Artie being stepped to again, and again not doing anything about it. The worse part about Golden is that he has neutered our sofla boys and the team is becoming soft like him.

Flying a banner will draw further negative media attention to the team. I know this is hard to believe but maybe we should try to avoid attention until the Nebraska game. If we come out and beat them, we will get positive attention, if we lose, the necessary negative attention will be there.

Advertisement
The team as a whole looked loss,even my momma saw this.And she old,love my momma.

There are so many things wrong with this team.The QB and stuff is just the start.

It's that everything was so **** familiar. Dade County players making plays for Louisville, inexplicable Gus Edwards runs on third down, players melting down on the sideline. It was the Rustled Bowl with green helmets.
You left out Artie being stepped to again, and again not doing anything about it. The worse part about Golden is that he has neutered our sofla boys and the team is becoming soft like him.

Maybe the players should do their talking on the field and not worry about "stepping" to people.

Good. Because those are exactly the people that should be embarrassed publicly for sitting on their collective asses while the stallion program was neutered and castrated.

Last edited:
Completely disagree D$.

Thing is, people are already talking, from fans to former players to the ESPN blog piece I linked to earlier today. To D$'s point, that is because of the results on the field (plus growing expectations coupled with lack of excuses). And they will continue to talk as the season goes on based on what happens between the lines. No banner necessary.

So, while I'm angry, exhausted, disappointed, furious, and everything else that a 'Canes fan can and should be right now, I tend to agree that the banner idea seems embarrassing and counterproductive more than anything at this point in time.

Advertisement
Back