The Bank (scrimmage edition)

Advertisement
Good job @DMoney !
Pretty close to the write-up I was thinking about making, almost verbatim. You did a much better job of watching the front-7 than I did though.

Per T-Rob, I heard the same stuff.
To be fair though, he could've simply been teaching what Manny wanted him to. It's already been confirmed multiple times within the building that Manny had no clue how to run a defense. I also heard T-Rob and Manny got into an altercation about it, so I can't really strike T-Rob too much for our DB's technique. (that could've been on Manny)

I'm just glad that we have a real defensive staff now. The DB play is light years better. So is the tackling.
You can teach tackling until you're blue in the face, but it still comes down to one major thing - GETTING MORE HATS TO THE BALL.
Less one-on-one tackling situations = less misses.
That was Manny's biggest issue with his scheme. When you leave zones/receivers open, allowing easy catches, then you're asking defenders to close full speed and make open field tackles on ball carriers. Steele's scheme is more press, less spot-dropping, better eye disciplines, etc...thus you have more hats on ball carriers/receivers.
Mostly everything the offense does is contested.
The DB play on the outside is very stingy. Most of the positive offensive plays I saw Saturday came from the inside. (truth be told, usually from X routing up people)

One staff member seems to think that they have a long way to go. I told'em I've been around GreenTree a long time and we already look better than anything I've seen in recent years. LOL
From a tempo and organization standpoint definitely. Tackling, intensity, work ethic, scheme, technique, etc...are all much improved as well.
But you have to love his line of thinking anyway.

And I'm not sugar coating this - X was out there killin' people.
He forced a PI on one play. Then on the very next play they go to him again, and he makes a big catch. He was pretty much unguardable.
When TVD really needs a completion, that's where he's going. I expect him to have a huge year.
Anybody who thinks Brashard Smith takes his spot is either Dade County biased, racially biased, or smokin' good dope. (maybe even all 3 lol)
He's up to 205lbs, so he's a RB playing WR. I'd like to see him drop about 10lbs though. He's massive, and there's no reason to be that heavy at slot. I don't want him to lose any quickness. That's his main advantage.

Rooster is 190lbs on the dot. Said he loves Coach Smith and Gattis.
Smith is extremely detailed in his teaching and has been working on Rooster with his patience, how to set-up rooms, etc.
Rooster talked about how tough our defense is right now, and I've heard X elude to this as well.
Like I said, **** is being contested now and our defense isn't Swiss cheese. You have to earn your yards and catches versus this group.

I spoke about this during last year's off-season and people on this board thought I was trippin'.
When our offense was giving Manny's defense **** in practice, I referenced all the QB's high completion percentages, even our back-ups.
I got told that I was overreacting and it's "just practice".
My argument was that, if our defense is giving up easy completions in practice, then our offense wouldn't be prepared for a defense that contests things.
Welp, fast forward and we saw how that turned out during the season. (Macho was right, as usual)
Our current defense is doing a good job of preparing our offense for the season. It's finally a REAL competition out there on GreenTree.
Defense is nowhere near where they want to be yet, but as they add talent you can rest assure that our offense probably won't see tougher defenses during the year.

We definitely need an infusion of talent at certain spots but I'm pleased with the overall product on the field.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but we're definitely on our way to being elite. I have no doubt about that. And I never felt that way with the previous products I've seen on GreenTree.
Dude this is spot on to what I've been thumping for years with manny. His defense was all gimmicks and gave up the flats for easy 5-7 yard chunk plays. So of course when we get into a game situation the offense struggled because they weren't ready for a defense to be stingy/disciplined because they never saw it in practice. That's why we pretty much had to out talent teams because the scheme was crap. One reason we always went deep because the team wasn't used to being so right underneath.

Once we hired Steele I got so excited he's an old school make you earn it all. Sure you are more susceptible to the big plays but you won't be gifted free yards. Make the O earn it all. This is going to significantly help the O come game time and I'm giving here for it. People always wondered why we got smashed by any team with a pulse and now it's all coming out. I can't even begin to explain how happy I am for the kids to be under a legit regime. LFG Canes!

Speaking of expectations. The 2018 National Title game between Alabama and Clemson is on now ACC network.

Many were touting Alabama 2018 as possibly greatest team ever. They scored over 40 ten times. They scored over 50 eight times.

QB-Tua, Hurts

RB-Josh Jacobs, Najee Harris, Damien Harris

WR-Jerry Jeudy, Devonta Smith, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle

QB-Lawrence
RB-Etienne
WR-Higgins, Ross (Pre neck injury), Renfrow

DL-Wilkins, Lawrence(suspended playoffs), Ferrell, Bryant

LB-Simmons

DB's-AJ Terrell, Mullen

First round picks everywhere.

Clemson annihilated Alabama 44-16.

Watching this game shows me how far Miami has to go to get to that elite elite level.

We still need the 1st round talents. Don't have enough elite players and specifically elite offensive playmakers.

Look at the top 2 schools projected this year in Alabama and Ohio state.

In ESPN top 100 players:

Alabama has I think 6-7 players
Ohio state has I think 7 players.

Miami has 1.

Advertisement
Speaking of expectations. The 2018 National Title game between Alabama and Clemson is on now ACC network.

Many were touting Alabama 2018 as possibly greatest team ever. They scored over 40 ten times. They scored over 50 eight times.

QB-Tua, Hurts

RB-Josh Jacobs, Najee Harris, Damien Harris

WR-Jerry Jeudy, Devonta Smith, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle

QB-Lawrence
RB-Etienne
WR-Higgins, Ross (Pre neck injury), Renfrow

DL-Wilkins, Lawrence(suspended playoffs), Ferrell, Bryant

LB-Simmons

DB's-AJ Terrell, Mullen

First round picks everywhere.

Clemson annihilated Alabama 44-16.

Watching this game shows me how far Miami has to go to get to that elite elite level.

We still need the 1st round talents. Don't have enough elite players and specifically elite offensive playmakers.

Look at the top 2 schools projected this year in Alabama and Ohio state.

In ESPN top 100 players:

Alabama has I think 6-7 players
Ohio state has I think 7 players.

Miami has 1.
Saban infamously admitted that he got outcoached in that game. Clemson threw an entirely new playbook at them on both sides. Completely different coverages and route combinations.

Advertisement
So you are saying coaching matters?
Major League Soccer Reaction GIF by Sporting KC

Be careful what you wish for with Clemson's defense if healthy. We won't score 30 against a healthy Clemson. ****, would we even get to 21? Let's just hope our defense is at the level where we can get into a dog fight with them unlike the previous 3-4 times we have played and hope the ball bounces in our favor.
Don't count on officiating either they always lean their way

Advertisement
Advertisement
Clemson will always get that good ole
Tobacco Road special treatment
Dabo with his "aw shucks"style plays on that ols southern boy schtick....but he is no hill billy. He is a sneaky, cut throat, scheming ******* who smiles as he stabs in the back, and lies through his teeth
Hopefully some day someone will call him on it, and yes they look for the good ole boy tobacco road treatment.
I think Mario knows this, so it will be interesting to see us go up mano y mano with the new Canes, in a year or two, when we play Clemson..

I'm assuming you weren't there. If you were you would've known will missed basically the entire scrimmage after the first couple drives. Wrs weren't struggling per se to get open. We were trying to establish intermediate routes and defense knows that. The purpose in establishing intermediate routes is obviously the staff realizes what we need to work on as well hence why we aren't stretching the field so heavily right now either. We're working on our weaknesses. It's what practice is for.
3oEjI105rmEC22CJFK (1).gif

Advertisement
Back