The Bank (scrimmage edition)

View as article
The difficult part is not that the talent is thin and that the O sucks, its that if its so clear to everyone, why isn't it clear to our very expensive coaching staph and why have they not made more changes. Everyone wants more talent on the rooster, but these are our guys and we could/should have won the last 2 games. The coaching simply isn't good enough right now.

This isn't the NFL...there are limitations to what a coaching staff can do in one year to fix a roster. Its not like Miami didn't hit the portal hard. They absolutely did. But, the reality was that Miami has needs EVERYWHERE. As is, we have transfers imported into our DB room, LB room, DL room, OL room, WR room, RB room. Its pretty obvious Mario and the staff knew this roster is filled with replacement level players, added transfers to nearly every room and they STILL didn't land as many as I am sure they wanted to, and they didn't get some of the more instant impact players at the major need spots (WR and CB).

With that said, obviously I agree with you...we SHOULD have won the last two games...but we did not. Yeah, its on the coaches...but those two Ls are on the players as well...we both have eyes, we know **** football when we see it.

Advertisement
This isn't the NFL...there are limitations to what a coaching staff can do in one year to fix a roster. Its not like Miami didn't hit the portal hard. They absolutely did. But, the reality was that Miami has needs EVERYWHERE. As is, we have transfers imported into our DB room, LB room, DL room, OL room, WR room, RB room. Its pretty obvious Mario and the staff knew this roster is filled with replacement level players, added transfers to nearly every room and they STILL didn't land as many as I am sure they wanted to, and they didn't get some of the more instant impact players at the major need spots (WR and CB).

With that said, obviously I agree with you...we SHOULD have won the last two games...but we did not. Yeah, its on the coaches...but those two Ls are on the players as well...we both have eyes, we know **** football when we see it.
Again, think we all agree that we need to get the talent level up (the NFL draft showed us what's up) , but good coaches use what they have and maximize their talent and attack weaknesses on other teams. This is not happening. Think half this board (which includes a lot of retards) could call a better game. The WR routes look like they were drawn in the dirt 20 minutes before kickoff.

We’re all fans so we have a slant. He just looked at the he roster in the off season and knew we weee a couple injuries away from a crap show. Well we have a few key injuries and the crap show was already in progress before those happened. To my defense I prepped people for the wr issues and guys were facing issues picking up the complicated offense.
Tan Enos doesn’t have a complicated offense.

It’s just a stupid, archaic offense that is complicated only because it’s designed to have 15-20 play drives (death by 1,000 paper cuts).

Tan Enos doesn’t have a complicated offense.

It’s just a stupid, archaic offense that is complicated only because it’s designed to have 15-20 play drives (death by 1,000 paper cuts).
These type offenses are complicated versus the other spreads with easy read offenses. That’s why the nfl has been going that way too.Everyone is dumbing offense down to go faster and it’s easy for guys to pickup with class room time being so limited.

These type offenses are complicated versus the other spreads with easy read offenses. That’s why the nfl has been going that way too.Everyone is dumbing offense down to go faster and it’s easy for guys to pickup with class room time being so limited.
Exactly. I know what you meant by class room but there is another class room that these kids must also worry about. The is a limit per week these guys can spend practicing.

The easier the better. Don’t need to reinvent offense here. It’s just so criminal what is going on and the stubbornness was expected to an extent but it’s just appalling.

Advertisement
I said all camp the weakness of the team was explosive plays and WR. Two things surprised me: the total collapse in confidence of TVD, and the fact that our DBs did not improve at all. On the second point, I cautioned several times that they were going against a struggling WR corps and that “we will see when the games start.”

My prediction was a season like Richt’s first at Miami or Mario’s first at Oregon. I would revise that downward because TVD has lost his confidence.

Who’s to blame for TVDs collapse in confidence? Gattis or is TVD just not that good.

It’s baffling that everyone who watched practice and reported on the team said he was a stud and 1st round ready. Now he doesn’t even look Power5 ready

Even Mario gave him a ton of credit this off season.

Again, think we all agree that we need to get the talent level up (the NFL draft showed us what's up) , but good coaches use what they have and maximize their talent and attack weaknesses on other teams. This is not happening. Think half this board (which includes a lot of retards) could call a better game. The WR routes look like they were drawn in the dirt 20 minutes before kickoff.
I absolutely agree with you. It doesn't look good from the coaching side.

I want to blame the coaches...but I just can't exclusively blame them for what is going on...especially when players are saying the quiet part out loud (they didn't take this team seriously) and this group of upperclassmen have done this numerous times before.

It may very well be a canary in the coal mine for the coaching staff...because it has been in the past, but the coaches we've had - Coker, Shannon, Golden, Diaz - were all first time head coaches or came from the G5 and none of them accomplished anything before or after...so its much easier to have these takes with these guys...but we've got a staff full of dudes that have won national championships, conference championships, etc. The head man has never lost a game like we did v. MTSU, so it's tough for me to make large, sweeping statements about the L when it comes to the coaching staff. It may very well be a smoke signal...my mopery says it may be...but idk. What I do know, is I've seen this before from the players, the players are saying as much out loud after the game.

I think many of our fans also need to readjust what they think of "the kids"...they aren't kids...they are adults and now every player on our roster is a paid professional to do this. They are fair game to criticize when they don't show up for games. It's not intramurals anymore, brother. They gotta take these Ls on the chin, just like we expect the coaches to.

We needed to go the route of Tennessee. They’re in full rebuild mode. So they went with a simple offense that makes their average talent look better and is exciting so fans will want to attend games

Who’s to blame for TVDs collapse in confidence? Gattis or is TVD just not that good.

It’s baffling that everyone who watched practice and reported on the team said he was a stud and 1st round ready. Now he doesn’t even look Power5 ready

TVD didn't go bad all of the sudden. He's a talented kid that's struggling.

@Brooklyndee started forewarning us a couple of months ago
I didn't say anywhere I want Garcia. I said I like Jake's game more. That doesn't mean I'm not happy with Tyler for right now. I just want to see alot more out of tvd as anyone should because he's shown he has ALOT of potential. I want to see potential become his actual game though. I'm not just gonna lie to myself and say he tvd was just amazing and the same product he put out is all we need... Cause it's not.
Tyler is a better prospect at the end of the day than Pickett. But he's nowhere near a finished prospect. Also Pickett was simply the beneficiary of a ALL TIME HORRIBLE QB CLASS. To compare Tyler to him is setting the bar AWFULLY low. Also acc defenses aren't exactly powerhouses. Just let the kid learn and develop. That's all.
For me his deep ball is his strongest asset. So that wasn't me who said that. Myself I need to see him develop the other parts of his game. Especially the intermediate routes. The deep posts,the outs,less so hitches. I wanna see his 15-20 yrd routes go to a different level. Not just chunk it as an out.
and most recently
It's just a matter of letting him grow into what people want to see. He's still got a world of potential. Just let him earn it and most importantly as a fanbase y'all gotta support him now more than ever. It's adversity that creates champions.

Advertisement
We needed to go the route of Tennessee. They’re in full rebuild mode. So they went with a simple offense that makes their average talent look better and is exciting so fans will want to attend games
Not us. We make our offense as difficult as possible & will have 5000 people at our next game.

We now have 11 full games against FBS teams (I'm not going to incorporate numbers against Central Connecticut and Bethune here...who cares about that?)...and, to be fair, its a bit of a mixed bag for TVD. We've got 3 games against P5 bowl teams that are lights out, good film (NCST, Pitt, VaTech)...but we've also got some middling and downright bad games against non-bowl or G5 teams (USM, MTSU)... and then we've got some middling performances v. some fringe bowl teams (UVA, FSU, UNC).

We definitely overrated him and the Greentree propagandists were out in full force helping that overrating happen. He's got performances through one season of play now that are all over the map. As a collective, we likely thought he was more NCST than his performance v. UNC...but here we are.

He visually looks like a mess. Very slow on his reads, about a half second or more late on passes, between the snaps has bad body language, mechanics are gross...he has looked bad bad through the past two games. There are rumors he wasn't really working out with wide outs in the offseason (no idea how true that was, they did mention it during the broadcast)...idk...its not very good with him right now.

It’s one step at a time, create an excellent culture, and put them in a scheme so they can succeed, by doing this you will get the best out of your players. Then worry about getting the best of the best. UM can’t seem to do the first step correctly. Despite what everybody says, nobody wants to go to a team that doesn’t seem to have a bright future, especially if they have options. So Mario needs to create an exciting brand of football that will entice kids to come. He isn’t succeeding in that rn.

It’s one step at a time, create an excellent culture, and put them in a scheme so they can succeed, by doing this you will get the best out of your players. Then worry about getting the best of the best. UM can’t seem to do the first step correctly. Despite what everybody says, nobody wants to go to a team that doesn’t seem to have a bright future, especially if they have options. So Mario needs to create an exciting brand of football that will entice kids to come. He isn’t succeeding in that rn.
All true...I'd counter a bit though with the bold...

I fear, to create that, the changes that would need to be made might be a bridge too far for the fanbase to accept. There are a lot of players on this team that have learned a losing culture...how many of those players have to go before you create an excellent culture? IMO, it'd likely be a lot and that would lead to one of the worst seasons we've ever had just by pure attrition. You can cover that up with extreme portal work, but as Michigan State is finding out this year, that is more of a bandaid than a permanent fix.

"The scheme" has won conference championships (plural)...we can debate the merits of it until we are blue in the face...and trust me, its not my favorite (although, I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't love running the football, I still think its an important aspect to a successful CFB offense), but its more than capable of getting us to the next level from the typical 7-5 type team we've been over the past 20 years. Are the players capable of getting us to the next level from the typical 7-5? I don't know. I doubt it. They have't been so far.

Advertisement
All true...I'd counter a bit though with the bold...

I fear, to create that, the changes that would need to be made might be a bridge too far for the fanbase to accept. There are a lot of players on this team that have learned a losing culture...how many of those players have to go before you create an excellent culture? IMO, it'd likely be a lot and that would lead to one of the worst seasons we've ever had just by pure attrition. You can cover that up with extreme portal work, but as Michigan State is finding out this year, that is more of a bandaid than a permanent fix.

"The scheme" has won conference championships (plural)...we can debate the merits of it until we are blue in the face...and trust me, its not my favorite (although, I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't love running the football, I still think its an important aspect to a successful CFB offense), but its more than capable of getting us to the next level from the typical 7-5 type team we've been over the past 20 years. Are the players capable of getting us to the next level from the typical 7-5? I don't know. I doubt it. They have't been so far.
So your basically saying UM has to many players with a losing mentality? Which could be true, but I find it hard to believe that is the main cause of their poor performance. I still think Mario should focus on what he can control rn, get rid of that bro style offense and get innovative, while also developing a plan to fix the culture at the same time.

I personally think UM could have won the last 2 games with the players they have if coaching was on point.

So your basically saying UM has to many players with a losing mentality? Which could be true, but I find it hard to believe that is the main cause of their poor performance. I still think Mario should focus on what he can control rn, get rid of that bro style offense and get innovative, while also developing a plan to fix the culture at the same time.

I personally think UM could have won the last 2 games with the players they have if coaching was on point.
Of course they could have...but this same group of upperclassmen lost to FIU, Duke, and LaTech in order...so, while my belief is that they are good enough to beat MTSU, its not like these upperclassmen haven't lost to teams just like MTSU in the past and that is now through two different coaches. One we know is a bum, the other has won multiple P5 conference championships.

So I guess what I am saying is that yes, right now Miami has too many players with loser mentalities...not all of them...we've got some dawgs...but we got too many puppies.

The offensive philosophy isn't going to matter if you've got players that do not give a fvck. That Rhett Lashlee offense was still in dog fights with GaTech, Florida State, and VaTech on the backend of the season. It was still in some dog fights during during the COVID season.

We are talking about culture and talent after getting our **** pushed in vs MTSU. They are a terrible team full of 0 and one star players.

Advertisement
In fairness to @DMoney

Everything he reported is likely true & accurate. However, what’s the old adage; iron sharpens iron, right? So if Brinson is creating separation in practice, that’s great…in practice. It also doesn’t indicate anything b/c clearly MTSU WRs created separation in a real game, & so did BCU WRs. Clearly, we don’t have that iron sharpen iron. This is Green Tree by name only at this point, not by legacy or standard.

I liked the OP simply b/c I respect all on here who provide info for free. I “liked” the post, but I didn’t “agree” w/ the post. U won’t find me commenting on many of these camp reports, b/c that’s all they r, reports. Are the same DBs here from last yr that ranked 102nd in passing yards allowed still here? Yep. Are the same DBs here from last yr that ranked 60th in passing efficiency defense? Yep.

So maybe TVD looked like a future Heisman hopeful in practice against these guys. Until we know for certain that our practice field is filled w/ majority of guys who will be playing on Sundays w/ draft score of 1st - 3rd rounds, practice reports r to be taken w/ a grain of salt, imo.
So instead of "iron sharpens iron," we were witnessing "dog **** softens dog ****?" That actually makes sense to me.

Advertisement
Back