The Bank (scrimmage edition)

View as article
Clemson is going to suffocate every offense.

If you guys are going to judge the season on how we look vs Clemson, you're going to be pretty disappointed. They are much better and much deeper at almost every position except QB. Can weird **** happen and we win a close game? Sure, it's football. Anything can happen. But if we play up there in late November 10 times, we probably win 1. This was a 7-5 team last year who got ANNIHILATED by Alabama, which Clemson is not too far of a step down from (and honestly the 2022 Clemson defense is probably better than the 2021 Alabama one). Literally men vs boys in that game. If they wanted to, they could've won 60-10. This is what Mario is taking over. We have a long way to go to be Clemson or Bama or any of the Top 5 teams. LONG way to go. IMO, keeping that game competitive in the 2nd half would be very encouraging. But even more so, just win the Coastal. That's doable. Going up and down the field on Clemson's defense isn't very realistic.

Clemson doesn't have Bryce Young or TVD, and we're more prepared to compete with the current coaching staff.

Key is to be playing our best ball when they come through.

Advertisement
If Flagg is playing anything other than Special Teams then the LB room is completely ***’ed
Look, I don't disagree with you in terms of where you are coming from. However the reality is that we are going to see Flagg at LB because we just don't have the depth required to Not play him. By next year I think Flaggs pt will begin to diminish with studs like Malik Bryant and Popo Aguirre coming in.

Since there is no way to get around the fact that Flagg will play, I'll take your comment and adjust it accordingly, "If Flagg is playing anything other than backup then the LB room is completely ***'ed."

Is there any concern with Gattis offense at this point? I know it was UGA but they couldn’t gain a yard in that game. Is he capable of running a more spread if we aren’t executing his base? Or better yet is he a stubborn coach?
I don’t know why but I get concerned about him the most. He obviously has done a lot of good things but when I watch him coach he seems to nit pick every move the WRs make in drills to where I feel like maybe that is messing with their heads and why they are dropping balls and nobody is stepping up. All are worried they aren’t technically running routes perfectly and not focused on catching the ball. Just a thought.

Advertisement
Is there any concern with Gattis offense at this point? I know it was UGA but they couldn’t gain a yard in that game. Is he capable of running a more spread if we aren’t executing his base? Or better yet is he a stubborn coach?
I don’t know why but I get concerned about him the most. He obviously has done a lot of good things but when I watch him coach he seems to nit pick every move the WRs make in drills to where I feel like maybe that is messing with their heads and why they are dropping balls and nobody is stepping up. All are worried they aren’t technically running routes perfectly and not focused on catching the ball. Just a thought.

You picked up how he coaches from the 12 second twitter clips that are posted or are you in attendance every practice?

Advertisement
Why do people keep bringing up Michigan. He had no QB there. UGA only had to worry about defending the run which they were very good at.

Clemson is going to suffocate every offense.

If you guys are going to judge the season on how we look vs Clemson, you're going to be pretty disappointed. They are much better and much deeper at almost every position except QB. Can weird **** happen and we win a close game? Sure, it's football. Anything can happen. But if we play up there in late November 10 times, we probably win 1. This was a 7-5 team last year who got ANNIHILATED by Alabama, which Clemson is not too far of a step down from (and honestly the 2022 Clemson defense is probably better than the 2021 Alabama one). Literally men vs boys in that game. If they wanted to, they could've won 60-10. This is what Mario is taking over. We have a long way to go to be Clemson or Bama or any of the Top 5 teams. LONG way to go. IMO, keeping that game competitive in the 2nd half would be very encouraging. But even more so, just win the Coastal. That's doable. Going up and down the field on Clemson's defense isn't very realistic.
That DL is waaaaayyyy too stacked for Clemson defense to not be great. With Venables this is a top 5 defense potentially #1 overall. The question is will they be elite? Dabo bet the house on a first time coordinator with zero coaching experience. Bold move.

My guess is Clemson fields a top 25 defense that's great but not elite. The kinks in the armor will start to show. Last year:
  • NC State, Pitt, and Wake Forest scored 27 points against Clemson....no one scored more than that.
  • They held 8 teams under 15 points
It's going to be hard to replicate that. I would bet we see 3ish games where they give up 30+ points (hopefully Miami being one of those). And I think they only hold 3-4 teams under 15 points this year (Furman, LA Tech, Syracuse).

That DL is waaaaayyyy too stacked for Clemson defense to not be great. With Venables this is a top 5 defense potentially #1 overall. The question is will they be elite? Dabo bet the house on a first time coordinator with zero coaching experience. Bold move.

My guess is Clemson fields a top 25 defense that's great but not elite. The kinks in the armor will start to show. Last year:
  • NC State, Pitt, and Wake Forest scored 27 points against Clemson....no one scored more than that.
  • They held 8 teams under 15 points
It's going to be hard to replicate that. I would bet we see 3ish games where they give up 30+ points (hopefully Miami being one of those). And I think they only hold 3-4 teams under 15 points this year (Furman, LA Tech, Syracuse).

Bryan Bresee missed probably 75% of the season. He is probably going to be a Top 10 pick. Last year was last year, although I do agree with you on the Venables part. That's a big question mark, for sure. But the talent is absolutely much better than a Top 10 defense. Tyler Davis missed time last year and I believe is now healthy and is an impact player, Myles Murphy missed the Pitt game, they were decimated by injuries last year on both sides of the ball. Just injecting a healthy Bresee in the mix is almost unfair, that dude could play in the league right now.

Can he take the pounding at the RB position?

Of the five backs currently competing, where does he stand on the depth chart?

WR is a position of great need and he has the quickness and hands. What's so far fetched? Might actually keep him on the field.
That's not how football works.
And yes, it's very far fetched.

And stupid.
✌🏿

Advertisement
One day we like hands on involved coaching and the next day they are nit picking. Can't wait for the games to start.

Can he take the pounding at the RB position?

Of the five backs currently competing, where does he stand on the depth chart?

WR is a position of great need and he has the quickness and hands. What's so far fetched? Might actually keep him on the field.

Can't tell if trolling or not.....

Advertisement
Be careful what you wish for with Clemson's defense if healthy. We won't score 30 against a healthy Clemson. ****, would we even get to 21? Let's just hope our defense is at the level where we can get into a dog fight with them unlike the previous 3-4 times we have played and hope the ball bounces in our favor.

Sorry, haven't been paying much attention today. Is this a manic day or a depressive day? It gets hard to keep track.

Be careful what you wish for with Clemson's defense if healthy. We won't score 30 against a healthy Clemson. ****, would we even get to 21? Let's just hope our defense is at the level where we can get into a dog fight with them unlike the previous 3-4 times we have played and hope the ball bounces in our favor.
I agree.

But after rewatching their games from last year our D is going to feast on them. I'm not sure they score more than 17.

Advertisement
Back