The Bank (camp edition 8/10)

View as article
Ryan Day won his division in Year 1.
Justin Fuente won his division in Year 1.
Clay Helton won his division in Year 1.
Jim McElwain won his division in Year 1.

Weak excuse. I don't think anyone sane expects a playoff berth. But winning the Coastal should ALWAYS be the floor here. And that's no different now. Anything less than that is failure.
Exactly. This team was one game from winning the division last year and beat the team that did win it. It’s not like Mario inherited Vanderbilt’s roster in the SEC.

Advertisement
It’s still early, but first impressions can often tell us a lot. Here is some initial buzz from the team’s first four practices:

- The defensive line is nothing like the depleted group we saw in spring. Between the five DL transfers and the return of guys like Jared Harrison-Hunte, Elijah Roberts and Jabari Ishmael, this group can legitimately field three complete units. That deep stable of length and athleticism has given the OL (which is not as deep and is battling injuries) a ton of problems. Akheem Mesidor, Mitchell Agude and Darrell Jackson are three new additions causing chaos.

- We’ve seen NFL defensive ends flash early on Greentree. Greg Rousseau, Jaelen Phillips, Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin come to mind. Nyjalik Kelly is cut from the same cloth. After missing spring, Kelly has come out on fire in camp and looks like a future superstar. Picks, TFLs, sacks- he is the story so far. His bend is elite, which allows him to angle toward the QB even if it looks like he’s blocked. He’s a long 6’4 with the quickness to redirect and the lower-body strength to hold up against the run. He still looks like a kid in the upper body and has major growth potential. Last year, we saw another Broward DE named Dallas Turner make a big impact for a title contender. Kelly can help us right now.

- The injury to Zion Nelson has allowed other players to get reps at LT. The most impressive so far is Jalen Rivers. His combination of IQ and sheer size has allowed him to handle disruptive players like Agude. Rivers is also a people-mover in the run game. He was arguably our best OL last year before his injury (including Zion), and I would not be surprised if the same thing is true this year.

- Our best overall CB may be Te’Cory Couch. He has added mass while maintaining his elite foot quickness and 4.4 speed. He's mostly working nickel. Another DB who is having a great start is James Williams. Everyone focuses on his size, but his IQ is his real superpower. He sniffs things out before they happen and covers so much ground with his length and twitch. Expect him to line up all over the field.

- Thomas Davis is shifting between LB and third-down rusher and showing some serious juice. It’s tough to evaluate LBs until full-contact scrimmages, but he is someone with a chance to see the field. Caleb Johnson (UCLA transfer) is also making an impression with his pure speed.

- By now, everyone has seen pictures of TreVonte’ Citizen looking like an NFL RB. But the real story is his toughness. He's not backing down from anybody and delivers blows in pass protection and at the end of runs. It's hard to judge running ability without full-contact and tackling to the ground. But based on attitude and physical tools, it would not surprise me one bit if Citizen is starting by the end of the year.

- Elijah Arroyo has lost weight and looks athletic like his high school tape. We already saw what he brings to the table as a physical blocker. Put it together, and you have one of the most gifted TEs in the nation.

- Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo have stood out at WR so far. One guy who has a chance to join that group is Romello Brinson. His twitch and suddenness are obvious and different than the rest. This is the unit to watch in the scrimmages.
so the gator were right
mario did guarantee a starting spot hahaha
what those losers dont understand is elite recruiters recruit players who have the potential to start and not just jags

Exactly. This team was one game from winning the division last year and beat the team that did win it. It’s not like Mario inherited Vanderbilt’s roster in the SEC.
urban myer went udefeated his first year at OSU he just was not allowed to go bowling that year

Advertisement

Weak excuse. I don't think anyone sane expects a playoff berth. But winning the Coastal should ALWAYS be the floor here. And that's no different now. Anything less than that is failure.
Thanks for the answer. Still when you think of the turnover among P5 coaches it’s not something that happens often. Then you have to pair in the chance of another team in division exceeding expectations. Realistically if Canes go 9-3 and don’t win division bc this years Pitt wins 10/11 would you consider that a failure?

Advertisement

We have the most talented team, QB and IMHO staff in the division.

My baseline expectation is being in Charlotte.

Dabo at Clemson and Jimbo at FSU are other examples as well. It’s not that uncommon and is all about circumstances of what they inherit vs the competition faced.
And we’re talking about one of the weakest/most listless divisions in power 5 right now, and it’s prior year winner lost its Heisman candidate/1st round QB, it’s OC and it’s star WR.

Not *that* high of a hurdle to clear in year 1. Asking for 10 wins or a NYD bowl berth is a lot more.

Thanks for the answer. Still when you think of the turnover among P5 coaches it’s not something that happens often. Then you have to pair in the chance of another team in division exceeding expectations. Realistically if Canes go 9-3 and don’t win division bc this years Pitt wins 10/11 would you consider that a failure?

Me personally, if we go 9-3, and the losses are @ A&M, @ Clemson, and to Pitt, and Pitt wins the division by only losing once in the ACC, I won't have a great taste in my mouth simply because Clemson and Pitt are the last 2 games, but I don't think 9-3 is a complete failure. And yes, I know I said not winning the Coastal is a failure. But not every record is the same, IMO. So if we lose 1 score games at A&M and Clemson and lose a hard fought game vs Pitt, and look good in the other 9 wins for the most part, I think that's a pretty good year 1. But if we lose 51-10 at A&M, 47-17 to Clemson, and 34-13 to Pitt, I'm not going to feel great about 9-3.

Bottom line, at the end of the day, it's Coastal or bust. When all 12 games are played, we can do an autopsy on how the season should be defined. But I don't think there's any way I can feel great if we don't win this division....again. 9-3 would be OK. 9-3 with the Coastal would be excellent. Any less than 9 wins and I'm not happy.

Advertisement
Running back situation could be interesting to watch this year. I see three groups based on the players that will need to cover 30-40 touches a game-

Feature (15-20 carries):
Chaney Jr
Citizen Fr

3rd down/receiving (10-15 touches):
Knighton Jr
Parrish Jr

Short yardage/goal line (3-5 carries):
Franklin So

- If everyone stays healthy and has a good year, I could see Chaney and the more productive of Knighton/parrish declare, and then have a ton of carries to split only three ways next year since we may only bring in Johnson who ideally would shirt.

- If Chaney goes down again he needs to think about medical retirement. If he is healthy, I don't know how there are enough carries to go to the combination of both Knighton and Parrish, unless both are on board with the potential of a small role with a bigger role next season.

-If citizen emerges and is starting by year end I'd expect 2 or even 3 RB to hit the portal because their time is almost up.

It’s still early, but first impressions can often tell us a lot. Here is some initial buzz from the team’s first four practices:

- The defensive line is nothing like the depleted group we saw in spring. Between the five DL transfers and the return of guys like Jared Harrison-Hunte, Elijah Roberts and Jabari Ishmael, this group can legitimately field three complete units. That deep stable of length and athleticism has given the OL (which is not as deep and is battling injuries) a ton of problems. Akheem Mesidor, Mitchell Agude and Darrell Jackson are three new additions causing chaos.

- We’ve seen NFL defensive ends flash early on Greentree. Greg Rousseau, Jaelen Phillips, Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin come to mind. Nyjalik Kelly is cut from the same cloth. After missing spring, Kelly has come out on fire in camp and looks like a future superstar. Picks, TFLs, sacks- he is the story so far. His bend is elite, which allows him to angle toward the QB even if it looks like he’s blocked. He’s a long 6’4 with the quickness to redirect and the lower-body strength to hold up against the run. He still looks like a kid in the upper body and has major growth potential. Last year, we saw another Broward DE named Dallas Turner make a big impact for a title contender. Kelly can help us right now.

- The injury to Zion Nelson has allowed other players to get reps at LT. The most impressive so far is Jalen Rivers. His combination of IQ and sheer size has allowed him to handle disruptive players like Agude. Rivers is also a people-mover in the run game. He was arguably our best OL last year before his injury (including Zion), and I would not be surprised if the same thing is true this year.

- Our best overall CB may be Te’Cory Couch. He has added mass while maintaining his elite foot quickness and 4.4 speed. He's mostly working nickel. Another DB who is having a great start is James Williams. Everyone focuses on his size, but his IQ is his real superpower. He sniffs things out before they happen and covers so much ground with his length and twitch. Expect him to line up all over the field.

- Thomas Davis is shifting between LB and third-down rusher and showing some serious juice. It’s tough to evaluate LBs until full-contact scrimmages, but he is someone with a chance to see the field. Caleb Johnson (UCLA transfer) is also making an impression with his pure speed.

- By now, everyone has seen pictures of TreVonte’ Citizen looking like an NFL RB. But the real story is his toughness. He's not backing down from anybody and delivers blows in pass protection and at the end of runs. It's hard to judge running ability without full-contact and tackling to the ground. But based on attitude and physical tools, it would not surprise me one bit if Citizen is starting by the end of the year.

- Elijah Arroyo has lost weight and looks athletic like his high school tape. We already saw what he brings to the table as a physical blocker. Put it together, and you have one of the most gifted TEs in the nation.

- Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo have stood out at WR so far. One guy who has a chance to join that group is Romello Brinson. His twitch and suddenness are obvious and different than the rest. This is the unit to watch in the scrimmages.
Sexy Fashion GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Me personally, if we go 9-3, and the losses are @ A&M, @ Clemson, and to Pitt, and Pitt wins the division by only losing once in the ACC, I won't have a great taste in my mouth simply because Clemson and Pitt are the last 2 games, but I don't think 9-3 is a complete failure. And yes, I know I said not winning the Coastal is a failure. But not every record is the same, IMO. So if we lose 1 score games at A&M and Clemson and lose a hard fought game vs Pitt, and look good in the other 9 wins for the most part, I think that's a pretty good year 1. But if we lose 51-10 at A&M, 47-17 to Clemson, and 34-13 to Pitt, I'm not going to feel great about 9-3.

Bottom line, at the end of the day, it's Coastal or bust. When all 12 games are played, we can do an autopsy on how the season should be defined. But I don't think there's any way I can feel great if we don't win this division....again. 9-3 would be OK. 9-3 with the Coastal would be excellent. Any less than 9 wins and I'm not happy.

Not Pitt… if lasts year’s team could beat Pitt in Pittsburgh there’s reason to believe that this year’s team can win that match up.

And it’s not about just chalking up a loss to A&M and Clemson… it’s how competitive are we vs teams with a legit pulse? Will we look like we belong on the same field is the telling question as to if we’re headed in the right direction?

Advertisement
First, the person saying that watches five minutes of QBs throwing on air.

Second, it is extremely early in Jacurri's career. We all know accuracy and ball placement are his weak spots right now. He has plenty of time to develop, just like Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson did. That doesn't mean it will happen, but we need to show patience. He has elite size to go with a whip-like release and a cannon arm. His athleticism goes without saying and won't shine until the bullets are live. He's also a worker.
yea and that observation is coming from someone that's been a trash reporter for 20+ years so I'd take that observation with a grain of salt...in fact forget all the salt...his observations and knowledge of football SUCK !!!!

Running back situation could be interesting to watch this year. I see three groups based on the players that will need to cover 30-40 touches a game-

Feature (15-20 carries):
Chaney Jr
Citizen Fr

3rd down/receiving (10-15 touches):
Knighton Jr
Parrish Jr

Short yardage/goal line (3-5 carries):
Franklin So

- If everyone stays healthy and has a good year, I could see Chaney and the more productive of Knighton/parrish declare, and then have a ton of carries to split only three ways next year since we may only bring in Johnson who ideally would shirt.

- If Chaney goes down again he needs to think about medical retirement. If he is healthy, I don't know how there are enough carries to go to the combination of both Knighton and Parrish, unless both are on board with the potential of a small role with a bigger role next season.

-If citizen emerges and is starting by year end I'd expect 2 or even 3 RB to hit the portal because their time is almost up.
I think you’re overestimating the number of plays in a football game. You’re looking at 45 running plays even if Parrish and Knighton don’t get a single carry between them.

Yes. Really need Campbell to man up and take that spot.
Combining a recruiting discussion with the current situation but that’s one thing that has really impressed me about the class we have committed right now

Honestly man how many years do we have to sit here and watch guys play spots on the line they can’t play because they are forced to? It’s infuriating

It seemed like last year we finally saw some meshing going on near the end, but not sure

Mario and Mirabal will fix this, and already are, but one thing I’m hopeful about is the evaluations of what we currently have the guys will end up in their best positions for success

Advertisement
Back