The Bank (6/11)

View as article
My only hesitation in being excited is that the other big dudes are getting big time commits in this landscape. Look at what Clemson did last week. Why we got to wait? Hope it doesn’t wind up like the second wave. But I do trust MC on this end.

Advertisement
My only hesitation in being excited is that the other big dudes are getting big time commits in this landscape. Look at what Clemson did last week. Why we got to wait? Hope it doesn’t wind up like the second wave. But I do trust MC on this end.
I get it. Clemson made a STATEMENT.

I’ll say patience paid off last year regarding the second wave.

December brought us Chris Johnson, Fletcher, Damari, Pancake, and Horton, I believe. And that’s with an awful end to the season.

Advertisement
Feels like we are so close to so many good things.

Very interesting that the results this season will matter. Hope Mario knows this.

Good to know we won’t be getting any big commitments any time soon. I assume none of the other schools will be either.
He said Scott and Riley are both close to the end of their processes so maybe one or both could pop by end of month

We also came off a 5-7 season so I can see why there may be a little hesitation on their parts

Advertisement
This was a huge weekend and it went very well. Here is the latest on this week's visitors:

- Let me start with a disclaimer, before we get to the good stuff. This isn't the old days where you wait for a flurry of commitments after a big weekend. Big-time kids and their teams know their value and understand the leverage of visits. Here is the good news: Miami is still playing the NIL game in a major way and we're developing strong bonds between the players, the staff and the school through multiple visits. But everyone should understand there is more strategy involved these days, on both sides. This will all play out over time.

- If NSD were today, I would feel very good about Miami's chances with DE Dylan Stewart (Washington DC), DT Aydin Breeland (Los Angeles) and DE Colin Simmons (Dallas). Still a ton of work ahead of us, but we have a great recruiter in Jason Taylor and, even more importantly, a seasoned closer in Mario Cristobal.

- DT David Stone (IMG) also had an excellent visit. The reason I'm not including him in the first group is that I suspect his recruitment will have twists and turns. Miami is firmly in the game.

- If NSD was today, I'd expect CB Ellis Robinson (IMG) to be a Georgia Bulldog. If Miami has a good season on the field, I'd expect Robinson to sign with the Miami Hurricanes. It's that simple with him right now.

- I like Miami to land a commitment this week from TE Elija Lofton (Las Vegas). They view him as "one of the best pure football players in the country." I was told he would play a "funky role" for the Canes due to all the various things he can do. It was also pointed out that he is much more athletic than people think, as verified by testing numbers. "He can really run."

- As we've reported for several weeks, Miami absolutely loves recent commit LB Cameron Pruitt (Mobile). They view him as the ideal linebacker for modern football due to his ability to cover, run and strike. Lavonte David comparisons. He is also a sharp young man. They have him measured at 6'2.5 and a bit under 200 with a projection in the 215 range.

- DL LJ McCray (Daytona Beach, FL) is feeling very good about Miami. I expect a long battle there, though.

- RB Jerrick Gibson (IMG) enjoyed his visit and is a realistic possibility for this class. One thing to watch: Florida just lost Chauncey Bowens to Georgia and will be desperate for a replacement. We've seen Florida do some weird things when they are desperate.

- The two names to watch next week: DT Justin Scott (Chicago) and RB Kevin Riley (Tuscaloosa, AL). There is a feeling those two may be closer to the end of the process than others and Miami will push hard there. Both are extremely high on the list of priorities.

- Hard to get a read on WR Braylon Staley (Aiken, SC). He definitely liked the visit. We will know a lot more after his Tennessee visit next week.

- Miami did good work with CB Sione Laulea (JUCO). That process will take a while but we are in the game there.

- Miami likes DL TJ Lindsay (IMG) but he is another one that is harder to read.

- LB Keyshawn Flowers (Baltimore, MD) had a good visit but I'm not sure that's where we land. Miami is still extremely hot on the trail of LB James Nesta (Charlotte). They would love to match him with Pruitt and Shavers. If that goes sideways in his next couple visits, I could see Miami being patient here. There are other options which may present themselves in time.

- OT Tye Hylton (Orlando) is showing a lot of interest and Miami really likes him as a developmental tackle. They didn't push for a commitment because the expectation is he will visit Florida. Once that visit takes place, Miami will evaluate where they are at. There is still a lot of potential movement on the tackle board and I expect that picture to become clearer in the next couple weeks.
Yeah boyyyyyyyyyyy!

Feels like we are so close to so many good things.

Very interesting that the results this season will matter. Hope Mario knows this.

Good to know we won’t be getting any big commitments any time soon. I assume none of the other schools will be either.

I know Mario was going to go all out in the portal regardless. But I believe he feels the momentum growing and knows that a poor season could blow it up. He pushed really hard in the end. We didn't grab Day 1 talent, but we filled the holes. Just pray TVD stays healthy and plays like he did in 2021.

Advertisement
What happened to us landing a barrage of commits in late June / July? We still *******, or nah?

Advertisement
We have to wait because we have to prove that we are headed in the right direction on the field especially after last years 5-7 Gattis fiasco. Clemson is a proven program/winner.

CMFs.gif

I’m trying not to get into the weeds about things but gut feeling is 6 weeks from now we are having some real conversations

I don’t agree or think Mario’s plans are always the greatest but the guy is very intentional in everything he does so I’m just gonna follow the plan from last year

Clemson does this every year. Every year they have a massive 1st weekend of official visitors. Leading to a flood of commits. But those commits are told to not visit elsewhere and shut it down. They’ve done extraordinarily well keeping most of those commits over the years. How they’re going to do it in todays landscape without changing their approach remains to be seen. But Clemson has been knocking early OV season out of the park for a long time

Advertisement
Back