The Bank (2/3)

View as article
The Portal

Expect Miami to take two more WRs and a 300+ DT in the Portal. We are still firmly in the mix with WR Gary Bryant (USC). Arizona and TAMU are the competition there.

Really enjoyed reading your writeup @DMoney . A war daddy DT and 2 WRs are absolutely needed. But if Mario wants to win the ACC, they're not enough. We need another portal CB, another S, another LB and another OT. Could use another RB, too, though I doubt anyone good comes with the experienced (but oft-injured) guys already on campus.

Advertisement
Pushing out Thad and Haye. Also flip flopping on Edwin Jospeh and then trying to get him late

Thad did it to himself. Fletcher is a rich man's Thad. He probably would be at Ohio State right now if Thad had committed to being great and performed in games.

No idea what happened with Haye, I thought he had some buzz last off season... Staff was nuts not to go harder after Joseph. Hope that was Gattis/Ponce not Mario.

these people don’t know the circumstances for why certain drills were being run, how often drills were being run, or really anything other than the report that certain cardio was performed at least once (if that is even true to begin with - who is the source? And does that person already have a very negative opinion of Feld with accusations he is causing injuries?).

If the argument is that it isn’t the best drill to do a lot because it’s not what they’ll experience in games, sure. If the argument is that because you heard that they did a drill one time that it is going to result in injuries or evidence this staff is responsible for more injuries , I think it’s just absurd. We used to always hear stories of guys like Sean Taylor running/sprinting home from practice or wherever, of Floyd Mayweather running home from the club (doesn’t drink), yet that isn’t something they’ll ever do in a game/fight. But it certainly is used as an example of their work ethic. Think it was fine for them. And acting like THAT would be the cause of them getting more injuries just sounds dumb to me.
I'm going off what @Ironmanfootball said he heard. Any criticism of what they're doing is based off what he said he heard. It seems pretty specific to be made up, but what I've said is in response to if it's true.

Maybe they had them doing those sprints one day just as a conditioning test, or to set a tone, to make them grind, or even “punish”, or any number of reasons. Maybe a lot of it is just to determine how much effort the player is giving, and if they can be relied on, or if leaders will step up. There can be lots of reasons.
All of those reasons are bad. There are no good reasons to do conditioning drills which aren't sport-specific.

Along the same line, my thinking was it’s normal and even interesting to hear different training techniques even when there’s disagreement. I think that’s part of the business. There are probably different schools of thought in terms of football training and I’m certainly no expert.

But when I see that basically, accusations are being made, that Feld and Mario cause injuries with their training methods, I think you better come correct.

You better be posting some pretty reliable data, including comparatives, because otherwise, that’s kind of a stupid road to go down, especially when possible recruits, and their parents read these threads and you can’t prove ****.
I find that to be such a generalization that you can’t possibly confirm it as being true. It’s very possible that soccer players and football players at some point in their training do similar sprints or running drills.

One thing that hasn’t changed in football is that there are running drills. To make a statement that they are different 100% of the time does not make sense. Neither you nor I have any idea whether there is overlap or not, so you can’t make the definitive statement that you made, at least in my opinion.
This is going to come off as snarky, but I legitimately wish you guys would read the NSCA's Essentials of Strength & Conditioning and/or the NCSF's Advanced Concepts of Strength & Conditioning as it's clear you both have an interest in the subject and it would be more fun to chat with you about it.

Where qualified S&C coaches disagree is typically on how to implement a training rubric. Let me give you an example:

If I tell 50 coaches that I want a training program for a group of collegiate volleyball players that consists of the following:
- A general warm-up
- A sport-specific dynamic warm-up
- 2 speed / power movements at a certain % of 1RM
- 2 lower body compound movements at a certain % of 1RM
- 3 isolated, multi-planar movements
- 2 core / trunk / ab exercises
- A metabolic conditioning circuit
- A cooldown

The cool thing about this field is that it's as much an art as it is a science. All 50 coaches will give me a unique training program that is unlike any of the other coaches' programs, but they'll all still be correct. Because the rubric itself is correct. It contains a solid warm-up, proper order from power / explosive exercises down to more isolated and gross movement patterns, and a stretch / cooldown session. I may like certain exercises over others, or more hamstring training because of my personal experience seeing it weak in athletes, or whatever. I get to make the program "mine" while still being by the book.

The point about running 300's for conditioning is that it literally has no place in a training program for volleyball or football because as @Ironmanfootball correctly pointed out, it trains a completely different energy system than is optimal. You're really pushing into the oxidative/aerobic training system here which is more apt for swimmers, soccer players and cross-country runners.

When you study exercise physiology, you can see that the anaerobic pathway trains both anaerobic and aerobic systems, so we can make our football players in better shape without needing to waste time and calories by having them run like soccer players. It's inefficient. Additionally, and this is well-supported in the research, conditioning drills which require specific motor patterns increase the likelihood of someone getting injured after they're tired. Think about it - some of these linemen are literally over 300lbs. Have you ever trained guys this size? Do you think any of these guys know how to properly run a 300? These dudes aren't Santana Moss - they don't run track. They'll be dying by 100, with 2/3 to go. They weigh too much and don't regularly train in that energy system well enough to do that properly and safely. It absolutely would increase the risk of an injury because their running mechanics breakdown and they flounder.

As I've said from the beginning, I can't *prove* a direct causal link between a coach's program and a kid getting hurt. But I can tell you that the risk of injury goes up when the training rubric isn't based on our best understanding of strength & conditioning.

So many coaches implement so many bonehead training programs that we're all just "used" to it because hey, back when you were in school, sure, your baseball coach made you run 2 miles before practice, what's the big deal? That's dumb. It wastes time, exhausts the nervous system, and sets everyone up to be tired before making them practice a sport that is highly explosive and technique-oriented, making worse baseball players and increasing the risk of injury.

So yes, if it's true that they're making our football players run 300's, that's dumb and worth criticizing. There's really nothing controversial about it.

We used to do 10x300 in soccer practice in highschool. Was ******* torture. I’m sure these guys can handle some sprints.
Makes much more sense for soccer. It's more of an endurance based sport due to very little break in the action. Football is repeated anerobic efforts, even though after repeated efforts that cardiovascular system better be up to snuff.

I can see longer repeats/sprints for players that cover more ground (receivers, rb, db and maybe even LB) but it would seem contraindicated for the lines.

Advertisement
Thad did it to himself. Fletcher is a rich man's Thad. He probably would be at Ohio State right now if Thad had committed to being great and performed in games.

No idea what happened with Haye, I thought he had some buzz last off season... Staff was nuts not to go harder after Joseph. Hope that was Gattis/Ponce not Mario.
I’m not sure that is an accurate statement on Fletcher. They are both bigger backs but that is where the comparison ends. Thad was a better natural runner but that is where it ends. Fletcher is a better athlete but he isn’t as coordinated when he runs. He is however stronger and more explosive in the short area. I would argue that Thad was a tad faster. Fletcher is a better receiver as well.

In terms of Haye, he just never was good, end of story. He is a perfect example of what @cway313 is always talking about where we convince ourselves that the guy we signed is underrated when reality is they just aren’t any good.

Thank you for the balanced update @DMoney .

I have a question regarding practice. Don’t know if you’re the right person to ask or if you have any insight into this, but it’s being discussed in another thread.

There is apparently some information in another thread about the workouts, in which several posters are discussing that Mario and Feld’s training techniques cause a significant amount of injuries. See below.

Is this a concern among those that you know in general? I’m not an expert in the most modern football training techniques, but I do find it concerning when it’s posted that our coaches are responsible for a significant number of injuries. Don’t quite know what to believe.
Every swinging slap **** on here claims they were Mario’s consigliere at Columbus and no “inside source” can confirm or deny what I was sent from someone very much inside?

Advertisement
I'm going off what @Ironmanfootball said he heard. Any criticism of what they're doing is based off what he said he heard. It seems pretty specific to be made up, but what I've said is in response to if it's true.

All of those reasons are bad. There are no good reasons to do conditioning drills which aren't sport-specific.

This is going to come off as snarky, but I legitimately wish you guys would read the NSCA's Essentials of Strength & Conditioning and/or the NCSF's Advanced Concepts of Strength & Conditioning as it's clear you both have an interest in the subject and it would be more fun to chat with you about it.

Where qualified S&C coaches disagree is typically on how to implement a training rubric. Let me give you an example:

If I tell 50 coaches that I want a training program for a group of collegiate volleyball players that consists of the following:
- A general warm-up
- A sport-specific dynamic warm-up
- 2 speed / power movements at a certain % of 1RM
- 2 lower body compound movements at a certain % of 1RM
- 3 isolated, multi-planar movements
- 2 core / trunk / ab exercises
- A metabolic conditioning circuit
- A cooldown

The cool thing about this field is that it's as much an art as it is a science. All 50 coaches will give me a unique training program that is unlike any of the other coaches' programs, but they'll all still be correct. Because the rubric itself is correct. It contains a solid warm-up, proper order from power / explosive exercises down to more isolated and gross movement patterns, and a stretch / cooldown session. I may like certain exercises over others, or more hamstring training because of my personal experience seeing it weak in athletes, or whatever. I get to make the program "mine" while still being by the book.

The point about running 300's for conditioning is that it literally has no place in a training program for volleyball or football because as @Ironmanfootball correctly pointed out, it trains a completely different energy system than is optimal. You're really pushing into the oxidative/aerobic training system here which is more apt for swimmers, soccer players and cross-country runners.

When you study exercise physiology, you can see that the anaerobic pathway trains both anaerobic and aerobic systems, so we can make our football players in better shape without needing to waste time and calories by having them run like soccer players. It's inefficient. Additionally, and this is well-supported in the research, conditioning drills which require specific motor patterns increase the likelihood of someone getting injured after they're tired. Think about it - some of these linemen are literally over 300lbs. Have you ever trained guys this size? Do you think any of these guys know how to properly run a 300? These dudes aren't Santana Moss - they don't run track. They'll be dying by 100, with 2/3 to go. They weigh too much and don't regularly train in that energy system well enough to do that properly and safely. It absolutely would increase the risk of an injury because their running mechanics breakdown and they flounder.

As I've said from the beginning, I can't *prove* a direct causal link between a coach's program and a kid getting hurt. But I can tell you that the risk of injury goes up when the training rubric isn't based on our best understanding of strength & conditioning.

So many coaches implement so many bonehead training programs that we're all just "used" to it because hey, back when you were in school, sure, your baseball coach made you run 2 miles before practice, what's the big deal? That's dumb. It wastes time, exhausts the nervous system, and sets everyone up to be tired before making them practice a sport that is highly explosive and technique-oriented, making worse baseball players and increasing the risk of injury.

So yes, if it's true that they're making our football players run 300's, that's dumb and worth criticizing. There's really nothing controversial about it.
We have a board of alleged insiders, Mario’s groomsmen and Uncle Roscoes to half the roster and not one has any idea of what is going on at workouts that isn’t a picture off Twitter- somehow except me? My sources to this are very inside.

Watch this video from Kurt Hester:

We have a board of alleged insiders, Mario’s groomsmen and Uncle Roscoes to half the roster and not one has any idea of what is going on at workouts that isn’t a picture off Twitter- somehow except me? My sources to this are very inside.

Watch this video from Kurt Hester:

I didn't watch it all but yup, basically exactly what I was saying in regards to energy systems lol. I've been tested on this more than enough times to need another video on it!

hq720.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Spring is a time for players to step up and establish themselves as factors. There are certain players the folks in Hecht have a very close eye on, due to their talent and the needs at their position. Those names are S Markeith Williams, CB Chris Graves, DE Nyjalik Kelly, DT Ahmad Moten, WR Jacolby George, WR Isaiah Horton and WR Colby Young. We need some breakouts from this group.
Colby Young showed he is a player that’s reliable and broke out mid to late 22 season

That’s what I want to see. These freshmen battling out the upperclassmen for starting snaps. Which is why I think we need another starting OT from the portal. Need more competition.
Disagree. Ol room is solid and we have a large number in ol room.

Safety has to be priority number 1 in the portal. With balom it’s small, without him there’s non existent depth

I figured these jabrones wouldn’t read a 1K page textbook but might watch Kurt.

You’re a high school coach, right? So you deal with young people each and every day. Good for you we need good leaders.

I’m glad you have inside information that reveals to you what training methods and what specific sprints were run in a recent practice.

I still don’t understand the correlation to injuries which you claim, (I think you said something like 1/3 of the players at Oregon, and Miami) caused by these training methods or other inappropriate training methods.

I’m certainly no expert on training methods, my background was a BS chemistry in college, grad school was business, so irrelevant, but I just wanted to throw it in there. But I know a little bit about science and having a burden of scientific proof.

That’s where I’m coming from but I guess I’m some jabrone that wants just a little evidence when someone makes medical claims.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back