The Bank (2/3)

View as article
If Horton and George take the next step, receiver room doesn’t look terrible considering Young flashed last year. Still want those 2 extra receivers to push and add depth but that would be amazing
George flashed last year in his short sample between his suspension and his injury.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not sure that is an accurate statement on Fletcher. They are both bigger backs but that is where the comparison ends. Thad was a better natural runner but that is where it ends. Fletcher is a better athlete but he isn’t as coordinated when he runs. He is however stronger and more explosive in the short area. I would argue that Thad was a tad faster. Fletcher is a better receiver as well.

In terms of Haye, he just never was good, end of story. He is a perfect example of what @cway313 is always talking about where we convince ourselves that the guy we signed is underrated when reality is they just aren’t any good.

On Franklin v Fletcher, I was speaking more to a primary role in gaining the hard earned interior yards when we needed that first down on third or fourth and short. I know they both do more than that in different ways. I was calling Fletcher a rich man’s Franklin because he has that heart and relentlessness we didn’t see in Thaddeus.

Last edited:
What did Zion do to the board to have him hated on so much ?

Not much, in all meanings.

Half of the CIS fan base anointed him a day one lock because he was a true freshman OT starter and overlooked all his developmental deficiencies. Many here thought he would leave early as though he had performed well enough to get an NFL draftable grade. And from what it sounded like, some in his camp drank the Kool Aid.

I still think Nelson has the potential to do something in 2023 and make a name for himself. But he hasn’t so far, and certainly hasn’t demonstrated he’s worth a high draft pick. He’s going to pushed hard by the young guys for starting snaps which is good for everyone.

Advertisement
You’re a high school coach, right? So you deal with young people each and every day. Good for you we need good leaders.

I’m glad you have inside information that reveals to you what training methods and what specific sprints were run in a recent practice.

I still don’t understand the correlation to injuries which you claim, (I think you said something like 1/3 of the players at Oregon, and Miami) caused by these training methods or other inappropriate training methods.

I’m certainly no expert on training methods, my background was a BS chemistry in college, grad school was business, so irrelevant, but I just wanted to throw it in there. But I know a little bit about science and having a burden of scientific proof.

That’s where I’m coming from but I guess I’m some jabrone that wants just a little evidence when someone makes medical claims.
I still teach but I no longer coach HS FB. I coach at a private training facility with all sports, all ages
It's not good for me, it's good for society. Good for me would be a private island with Hawaiian Tropic models needing a lotion boy.

No one is going to be able to walk in and say A-HA here's the evidence, this isn't Law & Order.
I was in football for 10 years as a chitty player, 20 as a never-was coach, and in S&C 20 years as well.
I'm a certified S&C coach that's in the field practicing coaching 3-4x a week.

Reading material:
Conditioning Article
Cramping
Running poles is dumb
Reverse engineering
Four coactives
Rhea + Ballou = Ring

If you never run at max velocity: 1- you'll never get faster, 2- you're more prone to injury when you do run at max velo in a game

If I run that volume above prescribed without training for it, I'm greatly increasing my risk of injury during the condo work
If I run that volume prescribed and train for it, I'm greatly increasing my risk of injury in football specific periods
Their workout detrained the athlete for their sport, and for speed

Now you have to focus on the movement efficiency that breaks down when you start to add volume and distance
Move less efficient, get tired faster.
Run 100's at all tired, get injured. Run 100's 200's and 300's... good luck!

100m is a long distance for anyone, it's 3 races in one. But it's especially long for anyone that isn't a small skill.
Throwers might bust out a 60m sprint here or there, but they work up to it.
There are 100m sprinters who never run 100m. There are 400m 'sprinters' who never run the 400.
So why are football players, who hardly run 50 yards a pop, running 300's? 200's? 100's?

The answer isn't "toughness" that's task-specific. If X team runs 300's to be tough, and then they are bottom 20 in penalties, are they tough?
The answer isn't conditioning, it's not to 'prevent cramps', it's not making you faster, stronger, more powerful, or cutting quicker
You won't block, tackle, pursue, intercept, throw, catch or run better because of them
So why do it?

Advertisement
True, I never make bold statements on players like that. I know how it’s gone here…especially with south Florida guy. I just absolutely love his game and mentality.

I’m hoping that’s true and that he’s a guy that gets it done on Saturdays and not the “guy coaches feel good about” all spring and summer that doesn’t amount to excellence and wins on Saturdays.

My comment was less about you or him and more antics about the board in general as we slowly enter into Kool aid season…

Ate some protein pancakes early this AM for the HONCHO this morning.

Okunlola is D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
Mauigoa is Penei Sewell.

and we got them both in the same recruiting class.

Bold to mention protein pancakes in the fitness America thread…

I’d post an eating popcorn gif but I don’t want a discussion of macro content to shame orville redenbacher

Advertisement
What did he do to have the other half of the board think he's a first round pick?

I think a lot of it has to do with Zion has disappeared, was rumored by our insiders to not be expected back and almost made it seem like he wasn’t with the team/no chance of returning/done with college. People felt he moved on from Miami.

Now we’re hearing he’s back. Going to take an actual game or two for people to buy back into the Zion love…

Advertisement
Back