The Bank (1/8)

View as article
wedding crashers comedy GIF

That he was losing a lot to Ohio State and his BIG offense and how it was producing and he’s a big time cheater who was suspended twice this season and was 29-16 in the 5 years prior to the run he just had these last 3 years.

He’s a good coach. Congrats to him and he’s likely headed to the NFL.
The Harbaugh comparison is always laughable to me. Like cmon, this dude went 47-22 in the NFL, reached a Super Bowl with Colin Kaeperick, went 29-6 at San Diego, 24-12 at Stanford of all schools…

They’re not in the same stratosphere, despite the similar offensive philosophies.

Advertisement
I can forgive 2021/2022 portal adds given how badly our roster was mismanaged by Manny. But not last year. First, we didn't get a QB backup for TVD which was frickin insanity. Then I thought that between Mario and Zo, guys like Harrell, Campbell, Kirk would be good enouigh to see the field. And guys like Deen, Gore, Allen, and Cloyd would be a lot better than they were. Don't even get me started on McCormick. I totally disagree with how we used our TEs.

For 2022/2023 portal, we hit on Cohen, Lee and Kiko. The rest were all just filler. That's NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

For this cycle, we already have questionable takes. And we're still missing a QB1, WR1 and rotational guys at DB and DE. We didn't get one decent player from this point on last cycle and we need at least 4 more very good to great ones this offseason. Unacceptable. Especially given Mario's not scrambling to replace his coordinators and half his staff.
Somebody has changed their tune this week 🤣.

That he was losing a lot to Ohio State and his BIG offense and how it was producing and he’s a big time cheater who was suspended twice this season and was 29-16 in the 5 years prior to the run he just had these last 3 years.

The best part is Mario will have a much worse record in year 5 than Jim Harbaugh and we're arguing whether he is a good coach or not

Fire This Is Fine GIF

Agree to disagree.

Advertisement
What DTs are better than the guys we got other than Walter Nolan. Maybe the kid from Houston?

I would love for us to add a corner like Aydan White. But all these guys either got passed up (Nyland Green, AJ Harris types) or guys that aren't going very high in the draft anyway (Aydan White, Richardson going to Ole Miss). Those are likely Day 3 guys too.

I could say the same about the safeties in the portal vs. Riley. Lots of solid college options, not a ton of impact options.

There really aren't a lot of Day 1 or 2 talents in the portal, and the ones that are don't go to 7-5 teams or go back close to home. That's not an indictment on evals as much as it is on the field results.

UGA is THE program right now when it comes to talent and they scooped up Colbie Young. 90% of this board *****ed about him not showing enough and doubt any would have him higher than a Day 3 pick.

I would also push back on Mesidor not being a difference maker. He just had 10.5 TFLs and 7 sacks in 11 games. We would be lining up to get a guy like him out of the portal. Lee and Cohen too.

Nolan, Mbuka, Judkins types are all going to 10 win+ programs. If we get it done on the field and aren't landing those guys I would absolutely be worried.

Is it an eval issues or lack of wins issue?
Let’s see what Young does at UGA. Pretty sure they picked up two other WR transfers too.

What DTs are better than the guys we got other than Walter Nolan. Maybe the kid from Houston?

I would love for us to add a corner like Aydan White. But all these guys either got passed up (Nyland Green, AJ Harris types) or guys that aren't going very high in the draft anyway (Aydan White, Richardson going to Ole Miss). Those are likely Day 3 guys too.

I could say the same about the safeties in the portal vs. Riley. Lots of solid college options, not a ton of impact options.

There really aren't a lot of Day 1 or 2 talents in the portal, and the ones that are don't go to 7-5 teams or go back close to home. That's not an indictment on evals as much as it is on the field results.

UGA is THE program right now when it comes to talent and they scooped up Colbie Young. 90% of this board *****ed about him not showing enough and doubt any would have him higher than a Day 3 pick.

I would also push back on Mesidor not being a difference maker. He just had 10.5 TFLs and 7 sacks in 11 games. We would be lining up to get a guy like him out of the portal. Lee and Cohen too.

Nolan, Mbuka, Judkins types are all going to 10 win+ programs. If we get it done on the field and aren't landing those guys I would absolutely be worried.

Is it an eval issues or lack of wins issue?
I like Slackman and Thor Griffth at DT. Probably aren't many better options than what we got. Wouldn't have wanted Nolen based on what I know about him

Forgot about Mesidor because he hasn't played in so long. He can definitely be a difference maker.

Still need playmakers at RB/WR/CB.

Advertisement
I like Slackman and Thor Griffith at DT. Probably aren't many better options than what we got. Wouldn't have wanted Nolen based on what I know about him

Forgot about Mesidor because he hasn't played in so long. He can definitely be a difference maker.

I agree we need playmakers at each of those spots, I am just saying we aren't the most attractive option in the portal either.

We need QB1 if we can get one, a solid, ideally bigger back (a level above Allen/Parish). Playmaking WR. Those 3 on O.

On D, we need a bigger DE body that can be good. 260 minimum type. Ideally that's the 4th DE, but we saw what happened with injuries this season. A CB (Aydan White would be great), and a safety - although I don't see anyone available right now that is much better than Riley.

Advertisement
Or is the plan to wait on those guys if neither comes go into spring with current QBs + Poff then hope someone else jumps in the portal then?

The BEST part about May portal QBs is 90% of them just lost a starting job in the spring. So you just KNOW they are hyper-focuzed and motivated to win the starting job in the [checks calendar] 2.5 months before the season starts.

I like Slackman and Thor Griffth at DT. Probably aren't many better options than what we got. Wouldn't have wanted Nolen based on what I know about him

Nolen was asking for stupid numbers.

We were down on numbers in the QB room. He's here to compete. People need to stop talking like he's QB1....TBD.

Your first two sentences are 100% accurate. The last one is pure optimism (or a nightmare if all we have for game 1 is Poff/Brown/Williams/Anderson and Poff can't win QB1).

Gun to my head Poff's QB1 for the spring game. Based more on the skills lacking in his competition than his own awesomeness. And those reps in the spring will be important. Sure, there is some degree of hope on Ward (sigh) and Tau, but otherwise we're looking at the May transfer window and a brief acclimation period for a QB (mind you, a QB who most likely got beat out for QB1 at whatever school he's transferring from).

Frankly, at this point I'm not going to entertain other imaginary QB1 options until Mario signs/enrolls them. As it currently stands, Poff is probably the best QB Mario has managed to get to Coral Gables. Let that sink in.

Advertisement

Go get some Pepto if your stomach is bothering you, @calinative umstudent

@Cribby @DMoney curious if Saban retiring will impact the whole waiver situation for baby Tua? I know he needed both Bama and Maryland to sign off. Not sure if that already happened or if still pending.

Advertisement
Back