The Bank (1/8)

View as article
Advertisement
When Harbaugh came in he took over for Brady Hoke who had taken over a putrid Rich Rodriguez. It was the equivalent of taking over after Randy Shannon and Manny Diaz. The place was a mess. He immediately had 2 back to back 10 win seasons and in his 8 years there (excluding Covid) he’s only won less than 10 games twice (8,9).

So yes, winning a title didn’t happen overnight which btw is not why people are down on Mario but he immediately turned that program around without the benefit of the portal. Mario would have to go 16-0 next year just to match his win total in the first 3 years. Mario has to massively improve to even be able to wear Harbaugh’s hand me down imitation dockers.
Can’t argue Harbaugh’s results other than he most assuredly had the resources to aid in those results. I know, Mario has similar resources now but the the lack of resources in the recent past at Miami added to the challenges. I’m not ignoring Mario’s lack of immediate success. My main point was comparing one program to another is comparing apples and oranges ignoring the countless variables involved. To only consider wins and losses is ignoring any and all other variables involved.

The way we’ve executed in the portal is a direct correlation to our struggles on the field the past two years.

Anyone arguing we’ve done “well” in the portal is on some good spin zone.

This cycle has to be different, or we’ll be having the same discussion a year from now. The bowl game exposed our lack of depth and the lack of ‘23 kids that were ready to contribute.

If you want to “trust their development”, good luck to you. I’d rather do what the big boys do and go get a stud in the portal, while pushing the youth and setting them up for success the following year. You're scared about people hitting the portal? Big woof.

Mario is hitting at maybe a 35% rate in the portal for acceptable talent on a 9 or 10-win team.

I can forgive 2021/2022 portal adds given how badly our roster was mismanaged by Manny. But not last year. First, we didn't get a QB backup for TVD which was frickin insanity. Then I thought that between Mario and Zo, guys like Harrell, Campbell, Kirk would be good enouigh to see the field. And guys like Deen, Gore, Allen, and Cloyd would be a lot better than they were. Don't even get me started on McCormick. I totally disagree with how we used our TEs.

For 2022/2023 portal, we hit on Cohen, Lee and Kiko. The rest were all just filler. That's NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

For this cycle, we already have questionable takes. And we're still missing a QB1, WR1 and rotational guys at DB and DE. We didn't get one decent player from this point on last cycle and we need at least 4 more very good to great ones this offseason. Unacceptable. Especially given Mario's not scrambling to replace his coordinators and half his staff.

I don't think he's stupid but he seems to definitely be a slow processor which is also why he makes some boneheaded decisions under pressure during a game and stubborn about not being hurried when he doesn't have to be.
If he were a recruit, we'd say he needs to take the SAT untimed. Lets face it, he's dumb. That's okay, so am I. But lets stop explaining all this away, like this isn't strategy, or stubbornness, or overthinking things. It's just stupid. People who lose to Georgia Tech the way he did don't deserve any kind of benefit of doubt when it comes to intelligence.

Advertisement
I can forgive 2021/2022 portal adds given how badly our roster was mismanaged by Manny. But not last year. First, we didn't get a QB backup for TVD which was frickin insanity. Then I thought that between Mario and Zo, guys like Harrell, Campbell, Kirk would be good enouigh to see the field. And guys like Deen, Gore, Allen, and Cloyd would be a lot better than they were. Don't even get me started on McCormick. I totally disagree with how we used our TEs.

For 2022/2023 portal, we hit on Cohen, Lee and Kiko. The rest were all just filler. That's NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

For this cycle, we already have questionable takes. And we're still missing a QB1, WR1 and rotational guys at DB and DE. We didn't get one decent player from this point on last cycle and we need at least 4 more very good to great ones this offseason. Unacceptable. Especially given Mario's not scrambling to replace his coordinators and half his staff.
Neither of the players you mentioned were part of hindered position group. WR group was strong. Dline for most of the good. Run game was improved. 2 of the Top ACC WRs were canes..the back QB situation I agree with..but ppl forget we’ were recruiting our OWN GUYA For a portion of the off season..& given how mentally fragile (imo) he showed to be..I’m sure he bounces if he was threatened by a backup..but that’s just my opinion. All teams who take guys will have misses. We have gotten a difference making type impact at MLB…but your point on the QB matter makes sense given how this year played out

We didn't even play the '23 kids in the bowl game. We played a bunch of upperclass JAG that had already maxed out.
Yup, and that kind of slots into my point (to an extent).

Anyone telling you that the bowl game was meaningless and that Mario didn’t want to win is full of ****. Unequivocally spewing nonsense. All we heard after Louisville was how winning BC and the Bowl game would show a three-win improvement from 2022, and moreover, you could point to a myriad of close / boneheaded losses to indicate how 9 or 10 wins was completely within reach.

I believe Mario played the upperclassmen because they gave us a better chance to win that game. Now before this gets misconstrued, I am not saying the ‘23 class is a failure for not being ready to contribute in a bowl game. I’m merely suggesting that it takes time for most to jump from HS to college, and that in their current state, most weren’t better than our mediocre transfer additions.

Wayne got his ish pushed around all game vs. Rutgers. He’s not ready to be an every down edge guy. And guess what? I’m not mad about that. He’s a TF, it takes time for most to provide impact against guys 3 or 4 years older. More mature, more strength, more intelligence and experience. The others besides Francis, Damari, Bain and Fletcher could barely get on the field. What does that tell you about their current state if they can’t even sub in for lackluster portal vets?

Can they make that sophomore leap next season? I’m sure some will, and others will need more time or will naturally fizzle out.

CIS creating this false sense of “we don’t need to hit the portal hard because we have x y and z on the team already” is absolutely ******* stupid lol. I’m sorry, it is. You’re banking on the unpredictable, instead of grabbing proven quality players in the portal. What if the younger WRs aren’t ready? What if Horton’s ceiling is a 350-400 yd WR? What if George continues to go full Jekyll and Hyde on us? What if Zaquan isn’t ready to contribute on the back end, and all we have is Richard and a backup Vandy transfer? What if Mesidor continues to remain injury prone and Kelly doesn’t take that step we’ve been waiting on? What if Stafford isn’t ready to cover elite slot WRs?

These are all valid questions personally, and just making sure we nip these 2024 potential excuses for why 2025 will be so great. We need to actually win games on the field this year, not come close to it. There’s way too much pressure being put on the younger classes, instead of blending that with proven, elite portal additions.

I don't hate our takes this year by any means. They're solid players but we're talking 3rd day picks at best for the 2 DTs and likely 2 future undrafted kids in Riley and Poff.

I wish we would prioritize a difference maker at RB and/or WR or even pursue one of these **** good corners.

We've added starters and rotational guys but we've yet to add 1 true playmaker from the portal in 3 years. Closest thing we've landed to a difference maker is Francisco Mauigoa... which is why we're 5-7 and 7-5. Henry Parrish doesn't win games. Ajay Allen doesn't win games. Richard/Porter/Davis don't win games.
What DTs are better than the guys we got other than Walter Nolan. Maybe the kid from Houston?

I would love for us to add a corner like Aydan White. But all these guys either got passed up (Nyland Green, AJ Harris types) or guys that aren't going very high in the draft anyway (Aydan White, Richardson going to Ole Miss). Those are likely Day 3 guys too.

I could say the same about the safeties in the portal vs. Riley. Lots of solid college options, not a ton of impact options.

There really aren't a lot of Day 1 or 2 talents in the portal, and the ones that are don't go to 7-5 teams or go back close to home. That's not an indictment on evals as much as it is on the field results.

UGA is THE program right now when it comes to talent and they scooped up Colbie Young. 90% of this board *****ed about him not showing enough and doubt any would have him higher than a Day 3 pick.

I would also push back on Mesidor not being a difference maker. He just had 10.5 TFLs and 7 sacks in 11 games. We would be lining up to get a guy like him out of the portal. Lee and Cohen too.

Nolan, Mbuka, Judkins types are all going to 10 win+ programs. If we get it done on the field and aren't landing those guys I would absolutely be worried.

Is it an eval issues or lack of wins issue?

Advertisement

Anyone telling you that the bowl game was meaningless and that Mario didn’t want to win is full of ****. Unequivocally spewing nonsense. All we heard after Louisville was how winning BC and the Bowl game would show a three-win improvement from 2022, and moreover, you could point to a myriad of close / boneheaded losses to indicate how 9 or 10 wins was completely within reach.

I believe Mario played the upperclassmen because they gave us a better chance to win that game. Now before this gets misconstrued, I am not saying the ‘23 class is a failure for not being ready to contribute in a bowl game. I’m merely suggesting that it takes time for most to jump from HS to college, and that in their current state, most weren’t better than our mediocre transfer additions.

Wayne got his ish pushed around all game vs. Rutgers. He’s not ready to be an every down edge guy. And guess what? I’m not mad about that. He’s a TF, it takes time for most to provide impact against guys 3 or 4 years older. More mature, more strength, more intelligence and experience. The others besides Francis, Damari, Bain and Fletcher could barely get on the field. What does that tell you about their current state if they can’t even sub in for lackluster portal vets?

Can they make that sophomore leap next season? I’m sure some will, and others will need more time or will naturally fizzle out.

CIS creating this false sense of “we don’t need to hit the portal hard because we have x y and z on the team already” is absolutely ******* stupid lol. I’m sorry, it is. You’re banking on the unpredictable, instead of grabbing proven quality players in the portal. What if the younger WRs aren’t ready? What if Horton’s ceiling is a 350-400 yd WR? What if George continues to go full Jekyll and Hyde on us? What if Zaquan isn’t ready to contribute on the back end, and all we have is Richard and a backup Vandy transfer? What if Mesidor continues to remain injury prone and Kelly doesn’t take that step we’ve been waiting on? What if Stafford isn’t ready to cover elite slot WRs?

These are all valid questions personally, and just making sure we nip these 2024 potential excuses for why 2025 will be so great. We need to actually win games on the field this year, not come close to it. There’s way too much pressure being put on the younger classes, instead of blending that with proven, elite portal additions.
Anyone saying we don't need more portal additions, and IMPACT additions at that, must not realize that the majority of next year's team played that bowl game.

For some reason people say the game didn't matter because we had some number of starters out.. as if those starters are going to be back next year lol. Makes no sense.

The problem with the portal is you are usually getting someone who didn’t hit at their current school. You can only polish a **** so much. The more known commodities are leaving for either $ or a better shot at the pros.

Which to this point the only thing Mario has shown is the ability to develop OL. Until he either a starts winning or b becomes better at making pros portal recruiting is gonna be sloppy.

Not absolving Mario or Zo or whoever is running that program. I could be wrong but if TVD hadn’t gone nuclear the last two years, and turned pro based on two solid seasons, I’d imagine Ward would be here. Tough to convince a kid to hitch his last ride to a broken wagon, unless obviously you play OL.

You continue to have excellent posts. Feel like it’s been this way since last summer.

There’s a Lot of people around the fanbase that think this roster is significantly better than the level of roster we’ve trotted out for 20 years. I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it unless the 23 class collectively takes a massive jump. We need talent at every position but yet we’re being selective in portal on top of not trimming dead weight. Just doesn’t make sense to me

Advertisement
Sweet, sounds like Miami back to Nike is a done deal
Nike Golf has been losing money for years, they got out the equipment game years ago because the traditional brands were killing them. Tiger only wore their clothes at this point, he doesn’t even wear their shoes. They weren’t willing to pay for that anymore.

I knew this would happen. Guy takes 9 years and countless years of NFL coaching (not to mention his years at Stanford, which were good thanks to Andrew Luck) and all of a sudden, all of his previous grievances disappear.

Like clock work.
Jim Harbaugh is 144-52 overall as a HC and 86-25 at Michigan. He has lost 3 games in the last 3 years. Now, a champion. What grievance is he really giving that erases all those facts? That he takes too long to be successful?

I don't think he's stupid but he seems to definitely be a slow processor which is also why he makes some boneheaded decisions under pressure during a game and stubborn about not being hurried when he doesn't have to be.
Yeah, I don’t think he’s stupid either, even though “Stupid is, as stupid does” invades the mind watching him last two years. I think he’s stubborn, not advice-friendly (with all the counsel he’s surrounded by and not stepping back game day), and has tunnel vision to some degree (great recruiter, then crickets). The word that comes to mind is “Obtuse” in that regard.

Advertisement

Mope!

It's a tricky situation. On one hand, proven commodities are exactly that. Knowing you're filling a spot with a proven veteran who's shown what he's capable of can make it a lot easier on the coaches. On the other hand, you're recruiting high school guys, especially high end ones because you want them to be your best players. Eventually those guys have to play. You can't just keep bringing in older guys ahead of them while keeping them off the field. I get that some positions are really tough for first and second year guys but I'm not really of the opinion that we need to bring in a veteran receiver. We've got like 6 blue chip recruits at the position. It's a position that first and second year players can excel. Let's give some of these kids a shot.

Will any of you mopes give me the downside of signing this kid?

For those of you with delusions of grandeur, thinking we are the A1 preferred landing spot for every QB that hits the portal, I have news for you. We are not. We need a kid like this to succeed here in changing the optics, and I think he will. He has had massive success on a lower level which is more than I can say for current QB's on the rooster. I'm not sure our other QB's can throw for 3,600 yards against air.
We were down on numbers in the QB room. He's here to compete. People need to stop talking like he's QB1....TBD.

Jim Harbaugh is 144-52 overall as a HC and 86-25 at Michigan. He has lost 3 games in the last 3 years. Now, a champion. What grievance is he really giving that erases all those facts? That he takes too long to be successful?
wedding crashers comedy GIF

That he was losing a lot to Ohio State and his BIG offense and how it was producing and he’s a big time cheater who was suspended twice this season and was 29-16 in the 5 years prior to the run he just had these last 3 years.

He’s a good coach. Congrats to him and he’s likely headed to the NFL.

Advertisement
Back