The Bank (1/8)

View as article
Ron Burgundy What GIF
Screenshot_20240109_210432_Samsung Internet.jpg

Advertisement
How were Norvell first two years. Compare apples to apples then.

Let’s check back in as well. FSU walked away from 2023 the same as we did. Nothing. I wouldn’t be that excited for their 2024 either
His first 2 were definitely worse than MCs first 2. Question becomes does MC get us to 10 wins next season to match the 3rd? If we don't fix the QB situation I am not so confident...

Regardless though, I'd hardly call 13-1 plus an ACC championship nothing. Better than any season we've had in 19 years on top of a trophy we have yet to get ourselves. Also insane to equate a 7-6 season with a bowl loss to Rutgers to that and call them "same as us". I'd kill for a 10 win season at this point

Did you see the first two years of Norvell with FSU?
Luckily no but I am aware of how bad they were. Im trying to say that I would take those 2 seasons knowing the next 2 were 10-3 and 13-1, whereas I am not sure we get the same payoff next year and the year after with MC. Especially with the current QB situation, offensive scheme, and... gameday acumen MC has displayed thus far.

Luckily no but I am aware of how bad they were. Im trying to say that I would take those 2 seasons knowing the next 2 were 10-3 and 13-1, whereas I am not sure we get the same payoff next year and the year after with MC. Especially with the current QB situation, offensive scheme, and... gameday acumen MC has displayed thus far.
I guess we shall see.

Advertisement
My read: We aren’t going to be big players in the portal under Mario. Hes going to live or die by high school recruiting and development. His takes are to raise the floor and depth, not raise the ceiling.
We have back to back top 10 classes. We don't need a bunch of guys from the portal. Mario recruited top 10 players. Develop them and play them. Stop thinking there is always something better in the portal than what's on the roster.

We need a few guys from portal, not an entire 2-deep like FSU.

I just want to be the only guy to go on the record and say Poffenbarger is gonna be nice.
I don’t think you’re the only one that thinks he could be nice. He’s played a lot of football as a starting QB - albeit at the FCS level - but he’s got some solid talent and an underdog mentality. I’m very interested to see how he does with P4 level talent especially OL.

Advertisement
Who do I blame for bringing in Lichtenstein, Sagapolu, Denis (maybe those 3 pre-date Zo?), Ladson, Gore, Campbell, Davis, Harrell, McCormick, Roberts, and Brown?

I’ve heard Roberts and Campbell were all Zo’s diamond in the rough evaluation. Addae doesn’t even trust him because he forced Terry Roberts a spot on the roster lol

Roberta and Campbell are Zo flops for sure.

Sagapolu and Denis were better than what Miami had on hand, but that is not saying much. In any case, those are Mirabal misses.

McCormick was a culture take. I can’t believe he played that much.

The others I don’t know.

Will any of you mopes give me the downside of signing this kid?

For those of you with delusions of grandeur, thinking we are the A1 preferred landing spot for every QB that hits the portal, I have news for you. We are not. We need a kid like this to succeed here in changing the optics, and I think he will. He has had massive success on a lower level which is more than I can say for current QB's on the rooster. I'm not sure our other QB's can throw for 3,600 yards against air.

Will any of you mopes give me the downside of signing this kid?

For those of you with delusions of grandeur, thinking we are the A1 preferred landing spot for every QB that hits the portal, I have news for you. We are not. We need a kid like this to succeed here in changing the optics, and I think he will. He has had massive success on a lower level which is more than I can say for current QB's on the rooster. I'm not sure our other QB's can throw for 3,600 yards against air.
There is no downside. He's at the very minimum as good as any QB currently on the roster.

The lashing out is because of missing out on a definite starter like Howard or Ward.

Advertisement
The portal goes against Mario’s recruiting philosophy?

Are you guys listening to yourselves?

The portal is here to stay so you better make it part of your ******* philosophy. Adapt or die!!

Plus, why have a guy like Alonzo here then if you aren’t going to use his talents to identify talents in high school and the portal?

Stop making excuses for this operation and the player personnel evaluators, guys.

Come the **** on!!!!
lol im not my g, you missed the point, I was answering why Mario's portal classes are not on par with his HS recruiting. I am saying he needs to change his approach and adapt a different strategy from portal as he does HS.

His recruiting philosophy likely going back to his FIU days was to build relationships. He continued that. Then even at Oregon he had such solid recruiting classes he did not need to rely heavily on the portal, just cherry pick a few players like Bama, OSU, etc. I am saying the game has changed for portal recruiting and NIL (free agency if you will) and mario needs to adapt. Not an excuse at all for him. Simply answering the question on why his portal recruiting is not as good which IMO is because he is trying to still use his HS approach which is inadequate.

You sound like a very articulate and intelligent person so let me ask you this question?

What about the traits you are describing makes you really think that a person like this is capable of changing his personality?

These are personality traits that are almost impossible to change and you point them out but yet in other previous posts you are confident that Mario can change.

How????

If I am betting, my money is on 95% he’s not going to be able to change.
You may be right, we shall see in 24’. Ultimately only he knows at this point.

I think it’s fair to say this team in 24’ is going to be the most physically gifted team we’ve had in a very long time. Lest we forget it wasn’t even a year and half ago we had a backup RB from UAB getting a relatively significant amount of snaps for us. I think that increase in talent will offset some deficiencies. What’s the optimal ratio of correction on his part to talent? Not sure, but a combination of the two will be an improvement.

There’s been a lot of “corches” spoken of through the years in various threads, Kirby Smart at one point being one of them. I’m not saying he’s the next Kirby but there’s a point where the light goes on or doesn’t. Based on what I’ve seen I happen to believe there will be a significant change.

Advertisement
I was at that game when that banner flew over the OB

What a fall. We used to say I was at the OB game for wide right or wide left, or I was at the UT game or the UCLA game or the Nebraska game or the Oklahoma game. Now we mark our memories by the banner. smh.

p.s., no criticism meant for you Scuba. Just is what it is.

Advertisement
Back