The ATM (8/4)

View as article
If they were healthy last year you’d likely change your opinion. Losing Ross alone was enormous. Then mix matching the ol and Shipley being out. With all those injuries they still won ten games. I think people are wishing and hoping they aren’t Clemson anymore versus actual reality.
Shipley is going to be a nightmare for us. Looking forward to what Steele game plans.

Advertisement
Too many question marks coming into the year for me to go 10 wins or better. It could happen but 2 likely losses on the road to Clemson and 8&4. To think we don’t drop a game we should “easily” win when nearly every team in the country does is illogical.

UVA, VT, UNC, FSU, Pitt will result in at least 1 loss in my opinion.

My biggest concern coming into the year isn’t a position group, it’s our offensive philosophy. If we’re going to be this physical down hill team we’re going to drop some games. We don’t have the OL (yet) to impose our will. Yes the OL will improve with Mario and Mirabal coaching but these are the same guys that couldn’t outmuscle App State and the rest of the weak Coastal. I hope Gattis doesn’t negate our biggest strength/talent in TVD.

This system is way more than outmuscling teams with predictable calls. It focuses on fooling and out leveraging teams. It uses the defense’s alignment against them and puts them on skates by attacking every part of the field without warning.

Mario and Mirabel will make the line tougher, more physical, smarter, and technically sound. But that’s only half of the big jump the run game will make. Gattis’ masterful use of leverage is going to make this offense hard to stop.

Last edited:
Just got back from vacation and am still digging up stuff for a full-blown Bank. There will be plenty on the way with camp kicking off and the recruiting plan being set for the next phase of the calendar. Until then, here are a couple things to hold everyone over:

- Last week on the Bank, I mentioned a surprise on the OL. That was Connor Lew (Kennesaw, GA). Miami has quietly felt good on this one for a while. I expect Miami to be the pick tomorrow.

- I would not rule out Jayden Bonsu (Hillside, NJ) despite the wave of Crystal Balls to Ohio State. There is a pulse here. Ten days is an eternity in this era and this is a kid who has changed his mind several times.

- WR Jurrion ****ey (East Palo Alto, CA) had a busy week meeting the mayors of Miami and Coral Gables and catching nurse sharks, yellowtails and peacock bass. He is all about relationships, and the key will be building that relationship with him and his family over time. Don't pay too much attention to public statements- recruits generally don't want hyperactive fanbases all over them with negative energy. The key is to watch his official visits in the fall. I have reason to believe Miami is a real challenger to Oregon. It should also be noted that he is starting a Fishing YouTube channel. Please show support when it drops if you are into that kind of content.

- Communication is going well with DE Damon Wilson (Venice). He is responsive and positive about the Canes, and he already has his OV to Alabama in the rearview. Don't read too much into his early exit from the BBQ- he spent a ton of unreported time with the staff before then. Location could play a role here.

- Here's one thing to keep in mind regarding the "second wave": it will really get rolling when Miami starts putting a product on the field. The internal expectation is a Top 3-type class because the staff expects a good season. A kid like Hykeem Williams (Stranahan) was specifically mentioned as someone who may not communicate as frequently as other recruits but will be at nearly every home game. That is our best recruiting pitch. DE Reuben Bain (Central) is another name who may take a while with his recruitment. It is by no means a layup and Alabama is in the mix.

- Miami will continue recruiting WR Andy Jean (Northwestern). People close to that recruitment thought it was Miami a couple weeks ago, but he is new to the recruiting process and Florida was able to make its move. They are desperate to reverse their bad momentum.

- The best aspect of the BBQ was strengthening the bond of our commitments. TE Jackson Carver (Minnesota) has led the charge of keeping everyone in communication. The word is that this is a high-character group. It was very important to show a good time to Robbie Washington (Palmetto) and he appears locked in. Some consider him the best player in South Florida.

- Be on the lookout for potential reclassifications from the 2024 class. Some may be significant and directly impact our 2023 class. Nothing done but inquiries are being made.
1659873069398.gif

Man Clemson about to have the #1 defense in the nation this year we just are fortunate that they have horrible QB play
Yep, I keep telling people that, matter fact their best defensive linemen was a freshman last year, but I think Bama will have the best defense in CFB, Clemson will be top 3 along with UGA. As for us, I think we’ll have a top 10 defense this year or close to it.

Advertisement
Yep, I keep telling people that, matter fact their best defensive linemen was a freshman last year, but I think Bama will have the best defense in CFB, Clemson will be top 3 along with UGA. As for us, I think we’ll have a top 10 defense this year or close to it.
Yea they have at least maybe 2 or 3 first rounders on that d-line with another first round line backer, along with a play making safety. We need our A game vs Clemson this year

Excited to see how Clemson replacers their tenured coordinators.

I don’t believe for a second some pimple face was behind Venables success.

With that said their culture and roster alone SHOULD be able to take care of us at home.

Very reasonable outlook on the year. And at the same time I think it’s very possible we beat A&M in week 3.

Absolutely possible.
This system is way more than outmuscling teams with predictable teams. It focuses on fooling and out leveraging teams. It uses the defenses alignment against them and puts them on skates by attacking every part of the field without warning.

Mario and Mirabel will make the line tougher, more physical, smarter, and technically sound. But that’s only half of the big jump the run game will make. Gatti’ masterful use of leverage is going to make this offense hard to stop.

I hope so I just don’t know if we have the horses up front to excel in that system for this year getting us to that 10-2/11-1 type season. We’ll get there no doubt after a few classes. I expect the run game to improve from the new system/coaching but will it be enough to beat the teams we’ve typically struggled with/lost to the last decade?

Advertisement
couldn’t agree more. But I do think losing venables will hurt. He’s a really really good defensive mind and coach
Losing him and some other coaches is what gives me a little hope. I don’t think Clemson is at their ceiling any more but they're still very good. They’ll be a top ten team for the foreseeable future. It’s hard to keep landing generational qb’s lol.

If they were healthy last year you’d likely change your opinion. Losing Ross alone was enormous. Then mix matching the ol and Shipley being out. With all those injuries they still won ten games. I think people are wishing and hoping they aren’t Clemson anymore versus actual reality.
It's like people forget how well they've been recruiting. They've shown several times now what good qb play can do for them. I'm hoping the change over in coaching hurts them on the field and that translates to slack in recruiting. That beast wont fall off in one year. Probably gonna take a couple more years before we can look them in the eye talent wise.

What makes Clemson so good is that they have a culture now set in stone. They know what they want and they’re not going to differ from it, you’re either in or out. They still get **** good players and they develop them as well. I don’t see that going anywhere especially with the amount of money that gets funneled through their church.

Clemson has and had a great defense, they still gave up 27 points to Pitt and NC ST. I love how man here running me down when im optimistic about winning double digits but the logic is, our OL sucked. Our new OL led staff and more importantly the new players brought in on the inside will make no difference but Clemson will have better QB play even though the one they had was terrible. They put up 14 points v GT....lol. And apparently their Defense will be just as great...even though man lost maybe the best DC in the nation and they lost their OC as well.

Advertisement
I don’t think we have the horses on OL quite yet to stop that Clemson DL. That said idk if many OL in the country can match up with that DL. I think we’re a year or two away before we’re on their level in the trenches. QB is the great equalizer though and and we’ve got one of the best in the nation. Meanwhile their offensive talent doesn’t strike fear in me.

Advertisement

The reality is what happened last year if DJ doesn't improve. A bad QB that gets carried by his roster that's good/elite everywhere else that out talents teams and doesn't need him to win 99% of their games. Clemson still wins 10-11 wins next year if he plays like ****.

I don’t think we have the horses on OL quite yet to stop that Clemson DL. That said idk if many OL in the country can match up with that DL. I think we’re a year or two away before we’re on their level in the trenches. QB is the great equalizer though and and we’ve got one of the best in the nation. Meanwhile their offensive talent doesn’t strike fear in me.

I agree. I think our OL will be improved (pls Zion be healthy), but our OL vs their DL is still a huge mismatch. That said, anything can happen on a given day.

NC State was in double overtime and they gave up 27 and less than 400 yards. 27 points as a season high in todays football is very impressive.
clemson is still good, but lets not fool ourselves they are not what they used to be. The won close games against fsu, boston college. If we play them last year it would of been close. They lost their oc and dc and QB cant throw and the otherwb is highly rated but no game experience and no lawrence. They will probably beat us at their place ut is see something like 28-21.

Advertisement
Back