The ATM (8/4)

View as article
Just got back from vacation and am still digging up stuff for a full-blown Bank. There will be plenty on the way with camp kicking off and the recruiting plan being set for the next phase of the calendar. Until then, here are a couple things to hold everyone over:

- Last week on the Bank, I mentioned a surprise on the OL. That was Connor Lew (Kennesaw, GA). Miami has quietly felt good on this one for a while. I expect Miami to be the pick tomorrow.

- I would not rule out Jayden Bonsu (Hillside, NJ) despite the wave of Crystal Balls to Ohio State. There is a pulse here. Ten days is an eternity in this era and this is a kid who has changed his mind several times.

- WR Jurrion ****ey (East Palo Alto, CA) had a busy week meeting the mayors of Miami and Coral Gables and catching nurse sharks, yellowtails and peacock bass. He is all about relationships, and the key will be building that relationship with him and his family over time. Don't pay too much attention to public statements- recruits generally don't want hyperactive fanbases all over them with negative energy. The key is to watch his official visits in the fall. I have reason to believe Miami is a real challenger to Oregon. It should also be noted that he is starting a Fishing YouTube channel. Please show support when it drops if you are into that kind of content.

- Communication is going well with DE Damon Wilson (Venice). He is responsive and positive about the Canes, and he already has his OV to Alabama in the rearview. Don't read too much into his early exit from the BBQ- he spent a ton of unreported time with the staff before then. Location could play a role here.

- Here's one thing to keep in mind regarding the "second wave": it will really get rolling when Miami starts putting a product on the field. The internal expectation is a Top 3-type class because the staff expects a good season. A kid like Hykeem Williams (Stranahan) was specifically mentioned as someone who may not communicate as frequently as other recruits but will be at nearly every home game. That is our best recruiting pitch. DE Reuben Bain (Central) is another name who may take a while with his recruitment. It is by no means a layup and Alabama is in the mix.

- Miami will continue recruiting WR Andy Jean (Northwestern). People close to that recruitment thought it was Miami a couple weeks ago, but he is new to the recruiting process and Florida was able to make its move. They are desperate to reverse their bad momentum.

- The best aspect of the BBQ was strengthening the bond of our commitments. TE Jackson Carver (Minnesota) has led the charge of keeping everyone in communication. The word is that this is a high-character group. It was very important to show a good time to Robbie Washington (Palmetto) and he appears locked in. Some consider him the best player in South Florida.

- Be on the lookout for potential reclassifications from the 2024 class. Some may be significant and directly impact our 2023 class. Nothing done but inquiries are being made.
What is Jurrion's youtube channel name?

Advertisement
FCS level linebackers, one dependable corner, and not a single, proven dominant lineman. We just don’t have the horses or depth on defense to make me believe we don’t lose a game or two in which we are favored. Then there’s that little problem of not having a wide receiver we can count on. I expect a big improvement along the offensive line, but that unit is also limited by its lack of talent and depth. 9 wins and an ACCCG appearance would be a reasonably good start for this regime.

FCS level linebackers, one dependable corner, and not a single, proven dominant lineman. We just don’t have the horses or depth on defense to make me believe we don’t lose a game or two in which we are favored. Then there’s that little problem of not having a wide receiver we can count on. I expect a big improvement along the offensive line, but that unit is also limited by its lack of talent and depth. 9 wins and an ACCCG appearance would be a reasonably good start for this regime.
Lots to like about the team for sure

Lots of questions though

It’s such a dramatic change in coaching staffs and new players at a lot of key positions especially on the line

Tough to really envision what we will see

Advertisement
FCS level LBs...don't post no mo.

Alright, 9-3 with the traditional **** loss or 2 but a ACCCG appearance?

This seems FAR more attainable.
I'm trying to be as level-headed as I can, but I don't see four losses on this schedule. Go ahead and put A&M and Clemson as losses, I have no problem with that. But I mean conference play other than Clemson...

Pitt is our biggest contender. I could definitely see us losing that game if the Clemson hangover is too much, and I expect that game to matter in terms of who wins the Coastal; but people are sleeping on the fact that we've beaten Pitt in four in a row, six of the past seven, and fourteen of the past sixteen. We own them. Are their trenches going to be good? Yeah, they will be. Trio of RBs? Yep, they'll be good and probably rush for over 1500 / 20 TDs. But...Kedon Slovis struggling in the Spring, so much so that backup Nick Patti is seriously pushing for the job? Bleh, sub-par QB play won't get it done @ Miami...Narduzzi is going to have more of a ground and pound approach this season and rely on his d-line to save their secondary's a$$.

UNC is 21-17 in Mack's three seasons. We have lost to some garbage UNC teams; and we get them in a perfect spot. At home, first conference game of Mario's tenure...while they're finishing up a three-game stretch that included Notre Dame and VT prior. That's tough for a young QB with a horrid o-line and a defense led by a washed Gene Chizik.

VT has way too much turnover to catch us slipping imo. Grant Wells has potential, but he is a turnover machine (16:13 TD/INT ratio in 2021). If it's the SCar transfer Brown, even better imo. Malachi will be a solid RB, and their o-line should be solid (but no depth)...but that defense needs to make some pretty deep strides.

UVA brings back their WR core and Armstrong, but has to replace their entire o-line; which just so happened to be one of the best in the nation in 2021.

GT and Duke are going to be a$$.

We're beating FSU by double digits.

I just don't see us losing more than one of these games to be honest, barring injury. I have us at 9-3 with losses to A&M, UVA, and Clemson. And the UVA one is more of a "catch us slipping prior to FSU, typical Miami/Mario loss to an inferior team".

Advertisement
I'm trying to be as level-headed as I can, but I don't see four losses on this schedule. Go ahead and put A&M and Clemson as losses, I have no problem with that. But I mean conference play other than Clemson...

Pitt is our biggest contender. I could definitely see us losing that game if the Clemson hangover is too much, and I expect that game to matter in terms of who wins the Coastal; but people are sleeping on the fact that we've beaten Pitt in four in a row, six of the past seven, and fourteen of the past sixteen. We own them. Are their trenches going to be good? Yeah, they will be. Trio of RBs? Yep, they'll be good and probably rush for over 1500 / 20 TDs. But...Kedon Slovis struggling in the Spring, so much so that backup Nick Patti is seriously pushing for the job? Bleh, sub-par QB play won't get it done @ Miami...Narduzzi is going to have more of a ground and pound approach this season and rely on his d-line to save their secondary's a$$.

UNC is 21-17 in Mack's three seasons. We have lost to some garbage UNC teams; and we get them in a perfect spot. At home, first conference game of Mario's tenure...while they're finishing up a three-game stretch that included Notre Dame and VT prior. That's tough for a young QB with a horrid o-line and a defense led by a washed Gene Chizik.

VT has way too much turnover to catch us slipping imo. Grant Wells has potential, but he is a turnover machine (16:13 TD/INT ratio in 2021). If it's the SCar transfer Brown, even better imo. Malachi will be a solid RB, and their o-line should be solid (but no depth)...but that defense needs to make some pretty deep strides.

UVA brings back their WR core and Armstrong, but has to replace their entire o-line; which just so happened to be one of the best in the nation in 2021.

GT and Duke are going to be a$$.

We're beating FSU by double digits.

I just don't see us losing more than one of these games to be honest, barring injury. I have us at 9-3 with losses to A&M, UVA, and Clemson. And the UVA one is more of a "catch us slipping prior to FSU, typical Miami/Mario loss to an inferior team".
Not to mention everyone of those games we will have a better QB and UNC and Pitt are at home. I think we go undefeated at home. I went to every home game in 2017 and we won them all. I think the same happens here. People don't wanna seem stupid or whatever and that's understandable but logic still has value

Sure I can; yall said the exact same thing in 2016 when Richt got here lol

I don’t have an issue with being optimistic & feeling good about the future, but yall always go way overboard & leave the bounds of reality because yall just don’t think clearly in the offseason. Trust me I understand it, it’s just you’d think Canes fans of all people would have learned by now that being reasonable & measured is probably better than taking the scenic route lol
They got a disappointment fetish lol

Ehhhh, we weren’t SC in the portal but we went pretty heavy. We signed 11 kids from the portal and were still looking for a speed WR and a RT that we didn’t get. I like our team as it stands right now for the ACC but we basically had to restructure our entire defense, particularly the DL.

We needed size and depth. We don’t want to be strolling into TAMU, Clemson or a playoff opponent with last years roster.

A lot of our guys who were here will play. Others (like Thomas Davis) are too young too be trying to throw into the fire. So we went into the portal to fill holes.

Our coaches want a roster that can compete with the BEST. Wherever we lacked that, they went after transfers.

This team has talent and a better coaching staff than any team we've seen for decades. Plus, the best qb we've had in a very long time. You're absolutely right @Liberty City El - always good to temper expectations, as we could fall flat on our face. But, there have been a ton of changes around the program that are pretty much unprecedented. And Richt, despite being on his way out and employing his lame duck son as QB coach with an underwhelming Rosier, did take us to great heights in 2017. So if that's what we get with Mario, I'm excited.

Also, it's much more fun to irrationally drink the off-season koolaid then think about another year of mediocrity. And for that, we're going 15-0.

Advertisement
NIL deal get him a bay boat in that and do offshore fishing on good days and catch tarpon, sharks, snapper, shallow wrecks on breezy days. His content with his name and playing for the U will take off

Sure I can; yall said the exact same thing in 2016 when Richt got here lol

I don’t have an issue with being optimistic & feeling good about the future, but yall always go way overboard & leave the bounds of reality because yall just don’t think clearly in the offseason. Trust me I understand it, it’s just you’d think Canes fans of all people would have learned by now that being reasonable & measured is probably better than taking the scenic route lol
You mean that same staff where Richt was on a decline (even though he's respectable) and also hired his way unexperienced son to coach the QBs, Dugans to coach WRs not to catch, and fatas$ Felder to be in charge of S&C, and Searles to poorly coach the oline?

Mario and his staff are significantly better and the 2016 staff even won the coastal the next year.

About sums up how I feel, I'd say 9 wins is success.

Last edited:
Advertisement
To say “I dont see X amount of losses on our schedule” as if we have shown to be far ahead of the rest of the coastal is just hilarious man…Yall will be brought back to reality soon tho and you’ll be mad and ready to fire somebody because the unrealistic expectations u set aren’t met lol

To say “I dont see X amount of losses on our schedule” as if we have shown to be far ahead of the rest of the coastal is just hilarious man…Yall will be brought back to reality soon tho and you’ll be mad and ready to fire somebody because the unrealistic expectations u set aren’t met lol
How many wins/losses in the regular season?

I hope they weren't gonna pack it in 🤣. Highest paid staff in the ACC wasn't brought in to start next year.
It’s not that you start next year, it’s that, sometimes, it takes a year to get your teaching to show up on the field. Fans always act like desire wins games. It doesn’t.

It’s the emotions of being a fan of a team that hasn’t had success in a long time; it’s called desperation.

It’s the same thing that people clown Gator fans for on a daily basis lol
ghosts side GIF

Advertisement
Back