That Tennessee offense!

I will say one thing about bamas defense. That secondary isn’t as potent as I thought it would be. Hellams and branch aren’t up to their usual standard. And koolaid is good but young. Battke is great. Arnold is young and not there yet. Tennessee exposed them

Advertisement
Tenn looks good. Give them credit. But like others have said Hooker is a coaches dream. He has played everywhere and seen everything. The game is in slow motion. To beat him you will need to throw something at him to make him question his decisions.

But its not just him they are Jr's and Srs all over on both sides. There depth chart/1st team is all 3rd year guys or older. They have to win big this year because they likely take a step back the next year or two.

2022 - 13th ranked class
2021 - 11th ranked class
2020 - 11th ranked class
2019 - 17th ranked class

Edit: these rankings include transfers for both Tenn and Canes.

Btw, for those of you who never watched Heupel at UCF, lol…he’s a CORCH…poor discipline, penalties galore, players arrested. Give it time. He has a 35 year old QB leading this Tenn team..let’s see what happens in 23 and 24..
Everyone is a corch to you guys except Saban and Urban. It’s literally unbelievable.

To be honest I haven't really watched much Tennessee or UCF when Heupel was there. I knew that he was considered a bright offensive mind that ran a great system. That Tenn Bama game was really the first time I've actually sat down to watch Heupel's offense at Tennessee and he did not disappoint! I was watching that offense work every area of the field and it had the same type of feel that our great offenses used to have. That is what I would want our offense to look like! Love that offense. It attacks the entire field with the pass and the rushing attack. He married his mentors Air Raid concepts to a power spread running attack while mixing in nearly everything else that makes offense exciting. I was very impressed. An explosive and eclectic passing attack balanced with power run concepts out of a spread look. This is the style Mario needs to bring here.
He's more an Air raid guy. Played for Leach and coached it at OU. But the Lebby/Briles influence is really showing. It helps when you have a 34 yr old QB who can rip it outside the numbers.

The biggest downside to this style is once or twice a year, you will have a game where you can't get anything going (last year against UF, Bama and UGA...grant 2 of those are great D's). And at that point it's hard to pivot/Adjust. (Think of Leach this weekend against KY or when he would play Washington)

Advertisement
He's more an Air raid guy. Played for Leach and coached it at OU. But the Lebby/Briles influence is really showing. It helps when you have a 34 yr old QB who can rip it outside the numbers.

The biggest downside to this style is once or twice a year, you will have a game where you can't get anything going (last year against UF, Bama and UGA...grant 2 of those are great D's). And at that point it's hard to pivot/Adjust. (Think of Leach this weekend against KY or when he would play Washington)
Thanks for your reply but I don't understand something. Is this tendency to not get anything going twice a year specific to his type of offense? Does this not happen with other offenses? Im just having trouble understanding the logic here.

I don't see anything specific to the Tennessee offense that would account for a propensity to stall once or twice a year. It has nothing to do with the offense and has everything to do with the fact that they played against 2 elite defenses in Bama and UGA.

Just saw this...

Hendon Hooker is older than Lamar Jackson, Mac Jones, Tua Tagovailoa, and Jake Fromm.

That goes a long way. I am sure Nico might be a star. But 24 is a full grown man who has seen it all in college.

Advertisement
Just saw this...

Hendon Hooker is older than Lamar Jackson, Mac Jones, Tua Tagovailoa, and Jake Fromm.

That goes a long way. I am sure Nico might be a star. But 24 is a full grown man who has seen it all in college.
It goes a long way everywhere. Lower ranked teams have made subpar coaches look really good when their full of 4, 5 and even 6 year guys.
Kirby’s first trip to the natty had talent. But it also had a lot of upper class men. After that year it took him some recruiting classes to where nfl or eligibility losses didn’t hurt as much that they did that year when they lost both sonny and Chubb and a bunch of there oline.

Covid and the transfer portal has made a lot of teams older and more experienced. I believe Duke has a lot of those type of players right now if I’m not mistaken.

Closing thing I've seen to Art Briles' offense in its heyday. I know he has a number of disciples out there right now (Kendal Briles, Phil Montgomery, Dino Babers), but this Tennessee offense is the closest I've seen to the lethalness of the originator's.

I'm surprised there aren't more guys out there running that system right now.

Advertisement
Closing thing I've seen to Art Briles' offense in its heyday. I know he has a number of disciples out there right now (Kendal Briles, Phil Montgomery, Dino Babers), but this Tennessee offense is the closest I've seen to the lethalness of the originator's.

I'm surprised there aren't more guys out there running that system right now.
Both Briles & Heupel are branches from the Leach tree; Leach went & found Art down in TX HS coaching because he saw how he revolutionized the Veer & Shoot Offense at Stephenville & brought him in at TTech. Heupel played for Leach at Okla for a year & got his start in coaching under Mangino, Chuck Long & Kevin Wilson.

He & Lincoln Riley basically run the same system with different variations & certain aspects as far as personnel groupings & spacing; Heupel has more of a traditional AR passing offense with the wide spilts & combined it with the uptempo Spread rushing attack, while Riley doesn’t usually split the wideouts that far towards the Boundary & has a bit more of advanced rushing attack. But both systems are highly potent & give DC’s nightmares because it puts so much pressure on your secondary to have to be **** near perfect in coverage to slow it down.

Briles’s system is more so predicated on having a Mobile QB who can work the Mesh points & utilize a lot of QB Option runs out of the Pistol to keep the Defense off balance hence why he & Kendal pretty much always produce great rushing offenses everywhere they go. Art’s passing concepts are a lot better than Kendal’s though & I think his schooling under Leach is what helped Art in that aspect, while Kendal is still developing that part of his play design/play calling repertoire & his stint under Kiffin at FAU has helped improved him some in that area.

There are some other coaches who run the Briles style Veer & Shoot, mainly Sean Lewis & Andrew Sowder at Kent ST (both are Babers disciples), Mike Bolesch at North Texas is another one, Sterlin Gilbert was too for awhile as another Babers underling. There’s a few more, but the reason why it’s not as prevalent is because it’s a system that has an insane amount of volume in the run game & when at optimum level it’s acts as sort of a stress tester for your OL & QB; It also is mainly a system that’s born from Texas HS Football, so it’s kind of niche scheme that only a few really know how to run it properly.

It’s not as malleable as the Air Raid.

Both Briles & Heupel are branches from the Leach tree; Leach went & found Art down in TX HS coaching because he saw how he revolutionized the Veer & Shoot Offense at Stephenville & brought him in at TTech. Heupel played for Leach at Okla for a year & got his start in coaching under Mangino, Chuck Long & Kevin Wilson.

He & Lincoln Riley basically run the same system with different variations & certain aspects as far as personnel groupings & spacing; Heupel has more of a traditional AR passing offense with the wide spilts & combined it with the uptempo Spread rushing attack, while Riley doesn’t usually split the wideouts that far towards the Boundary & has a bit more of advanced rushing attack. But both systems are highly potent & give DC’s nightmares because it puts so much pressure on your secondary to have to be **** near perfect in coverage to slow it down.

Briles’s system is more so predicated on having a Mobile QB who can work the Mesh points & utilize a lot of QB Option runs out of the Pistol to keep the Defense off balance hence why he & Kendal pretty much always produce great rushing offenses everywhere they go. Art’s passing concepts are a lot better than Kendal’s though & I think his schooling under Leach is what helped Art in that aspect, while Kendal is still developing that part of his play design/play calling repertoire & his stint under Kiffin at FAU has helped improved him some in that area.

There are some other coaches who run the Briles style Veer & Shoot, mainly Sean Lewis & Andrew Sowder at Kent ST (both are Babers disciples), Mike Bolesch at North Texas is another one, Sterlin Gilbert was too for awhile as another Babers underling. There’s a few more, but the reason why it’s not as prevalent is because it’s a system that has an insane amount of volume in the run game & when at optimum level it’s acts as sort of a stress tester for your OL & QB; It also is mainly a system that’s born from Texas HS Football, so it’s kind of niche scheme that only a few really know how to run it properly.

Elcylopedia

Advertisement

1666369745338.gif

Is what we ran in a lesser form during my years in hs..

He must be doing better with making adjustments at halftime too, no? Seemed like @ UCF, he had plenty of games in which they were lights out in the 1st Half only to have numerous 3 & outs in 30 secs in the 2nd Half which wore their defense down. Having Randy shepherd his defense probably further exacerbated that but I don’t want to be (overly)gratuitous.

Advertisement
Back