That Tennessee offense!

Advertisement
Like I said, coaches get married to the system that got them to the HC ranks. Since Diaz was a defensive coach, I don't think changing the offensive scheme was as much an issue for him. He was content with giving Lashlee total autonomy.

The problem is that Cristobal is an offensive minded coach. He's not going to change his philosophy on that side of the ball. On defense I'm sure he has a scheme preference but I don't think he'd dictate to Steele what kind scheme he has to run.

This also goes to the constant refrain that Saban was willing to adapt his offense and go to a spread. Saban is a defensive minded coach. He's far more flexible on what happens to that side of the ball. If his teams could be more successful in the spread, he'd bring in a spread OC. IMO the chances that Mario as an offensive minded coach will go to a completely different scheme are slim and the only chance it happens is if/when he's on the hot seat and desperate.
I mean he (Mario) has adapted the offense 4 weeks into the season lol.

It's certainly a concern but we can also say that they have moved on from what we saw earlier this year. Even Saban has adapted with the times defensively both in structure and verbiage.

Their QB is in his 7th year of college football it helps. Also Hyatt has elite speed, but McCoy a portal pickup was a 5star. Miami missed on big portal WR pickup.

I would say let’s see what he does next year but nico will probably be a legit QB but hooker has played a million years and is 4 or 5 years older then most ppl he is playing against at this point

Advertisement
Tennessee has quietly recruited at a pretty high level for a while, they’ve just corched themselves out of contention for years. Heupel is a legit offensive coach who can go toe to toe with anyone in regards to X’s and O’s.
2022 - 23rd ranked class
2021 - 22nd ranked class
2020 - 10th ranked class
2019 - 11th ranked class

We scored 9 at aTm, 24 against UNC and 20 against VT (LMAO).

Tennessee scored 21 against Bama in the first quarter.

Get this garbage *** offense outta Coral Gables.

giphy-1.gif

Advertisement
To be honest I haven't really watched much Tennessee or UCF when Heupel was there. I knew that he was considered a bright offensive mind that ran a great system. That Tenn Bama game was really the first time I've actually sat down to watch Heupel's offense at Tennessee and he did not disappoint! I was watching that offense work every area of the field and it had the same type of feel that our great offenses used to have. That is what I would want our offense to look like! Love that offense. It attacks the entire field with the pass and the rushing attack. He married his mentors Air Raid concepts to a power spread running attack while mixing in nearly everything else that makes offense exciting. I was very impressed. An explosive and eclectic passing attack balanced with power run concepts out of a spread look. This is the style Mario needs to bring here.

Advertisement
Their QB is in his 7th year of college football it helps. Also Hyatt has elite speed, but McCoy a portal pickup was a 5star. Miami missed on big portal WR pickup.

I would say let’s see what he does next year but nico will probably be a legit QB but hooker has played a million years and is 4 or 5 years older then most ppl he is playing against at this point
Heupels offense PPG rank since becoming HC
2018: 6th
2019: 5th
2020: 8th
2021: 7th
2022: 2nd

in 2020 the first, second, and third ranked teams in yards per game all ran some version of Briles system. that system is too QB friendly for a talent like Nico to struggle in it.

Advertisement
McDonald’s bags
That punt muff by Kool-Aid Mckinstry for Bama really put them in a hole. TN took that gift of field position and quickly scored, making the game 21-7. Before that play Bama was starting to find their rhythm. Fortunately for them they climbed their way out of that hole. A hallmark of a well coached team.

What are our rankings same years?
2022 - 13th ranked class
2021 - 11th ranked class
2020 - 11th ranked class
2019 - 17th ranked class

Edit: these rankings include transfers for both Tenn and Canes.

Btw, for those of you who never watched Heupel at UCF, lol…he’s a CORCH…poor discipline, penalties galore, players arrested. Give it time. He has a 35 year old QB leading this Tenn team..let’s see what happens in 23 and 24..

2022 - 13th ranked class
2021 - 11th ranked class
2020 - 11th ranked class
2019 - 17th ranked class

Edit: these rankings include transfers for both Tenn and Canes.

Btw, for those of you who never watched Heupel at UCF, lol…he’s a CORCH…poor discipline, penalties galore, players arrested. Give it time. He has a 35 year old QB leading this Tenn team..let’s see what happens in 23 and 24..
- 14th highest scoring offense with Drew Lock (2017)
- 6th highest scoring offense with Mckenzie Milton (2018)
- 5th & 8th highest scoring offense with Dillon Gabriel (2019, 2020)
- 7th & 2nd highest scoring offense with Hendon Hooker (2021, 2022)

the QB doesn’t really matter but i’m sure it’s not going to get worse next year when he brings in the most talented QB he’s ever had in his system.

Advertisement
Back