That Tennessee offense!

Advertisement
Closing thing I've seen to Art Briles' offense in its heyday. I know he has a number of disciples out there right now (Kendal Briles, Phil Montgomery, Dino Babers), but this Tennessee offense is the closest I've seen to the lethalness of the originator's.

I'm surprised there aren't more guys out there running that system right now.
Everyone should be running the Briles system. It's coaching malpractice not to. It's QB friendly and extremely difficult to defend and puts safeties and backers in a bind because of the wide splits. The QB has simple reads based on numbers. With limited practice time in college it's the perfect offense because of it's simplicity

You were right, El.

I was hoping we could get better in this offense over the year, but it hasn’t materialized.

I watched the Alabama game and thought, “We could do most of that right now. Most of the passes were quick rpo and play action and it worked. They lined the slot up way outside. It opened the box for better run game numbers and put huge pressure on Bama’s safeties in the passing game and led to long touchdowns.

The are several problems with the structure of our offense and the team has lost focus and faith because they are not being put in as good a position as Lashlee, and he had his own issues.

I’m tired of this Goldilocks ****. It’s always too hot or too cold. Add one thing we need and take away something we should have kept. Can’t get it just right.

Advertisement
I’ve been stumping for Heupel since 2018...

That’s why anytime people mention Leach I always say his disciples are significantly better than him.

They took his & Hal Mumme’s elite revolutionary passing concepts & combined with the Spread rushing attack.

And now in modern day Football it’s the most difficult Offense to defend against & literally levels the playing field, even when you’re up against defensive talent that far outweighs you & is better overall athletically.

I know I’m a broken record, but this is where my frustration has come from with this program for such a long **** time & why I (used to lol) have such impassioned debates with people on here who for whatever reason were against us becoming a more high powered Offensive centric team & thought that we needed to transform into “tUfF & FiZiCuLL!” Lol.

A team like Tenn couldn’t have beat Bama any other way; when you’re overmatched against a team that has a significant talent advantage over you, your best bet is to make it a shoot out & the only way you can hang in a shoot out is if you’re equipped to do it, which means you have to throw the Football a lot... I know, I know that sacrilegious, but in today’s game, you can’t win big games like this without a potent offense & unless you have a roster like UGA’s or an OL & Defense like Michigan’s, you’re not gonna pound the rock to victory against really good teams like Bama.

Yes it’s about “Jimmy’s & Joe’s!”, but whether people realize it or not X’s & O’s are just as/if not more important. Having a good Offense is the most key cog in today’s era to be a winning program, that doesn’t mean you’ll win a Natty just because of your Offense (I’m not saying that), but if you want to be a 10+ win team & a perennial contender you’re gonna have a really rough go of it if you don’t have an Offense.

#SchemeMatters
what I noticed about Tennessee offense their receivers actually catch the football

- 14th highest scoring offense with Drew Lock (2017)
- 6th highest scoring offense with Mckenzie Milton (2018)
- 5th & 8th highest scoring offense with Dillon Gabriel (2019, 2020)
- 7th & 2nd highest scoring offense with Hendon Hooker (2021, 2022)

the QB doesn’t really matter but i’m sure it’s not going to get worse next year when he brings in the most talented QB he’s ever had in his system.
Milton and Gabriel were recruited by Scott Frost and the prior regime. The offense implemented was the former. They balled.

What did happen after 2018 was they lost more, had more penalties, and players kicked off the team. The ineptness was clear…

But hey, numbers are numbers if you don’t watch what’s really happening.

Advertisement
I miss WIDE OPEN touchdowns.
TDs? We can barely get a shallow crosser wide open with a sub 11 WR. Don’t want to hear **** about how bad our players might be. Every single weekend, you watch slower WRs run wide the f open on faster DB units. Could we use more speed and better pass catchers? Obviously. Could we use a wee bit of spacing? Ehhh, come on.

Advertisement
TDs? We can barely get a shallow crosser wide open with a sub 11 WR. Don’t want to hear **** about how bad our players might be. Every single weekend, you watch slower WRs run wide the f open on faster DB units. Could we use more speed and better pass catchers? Obviously. Could we use a wee bit of spacing? Ehhh, come on.
Our spacing is a joke, makes a mediocre offense downright putrid.

I think Refs should spot the ball at the same pace all the time. Just because the offense wants to move real fast doesnt mean the refs should spot the ball faster.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back