Thank you Butch Davis

Advertisement
The irony is, there’s a negative correlation at UM between facilities/academics and recruiting. Butch recruited better before the fancy stuff.
@Coach Macho @gogeta4

are the kids really "wowed" by the facilities or are the visits all fairly even??? i mean how much fancier can one leather chair be over another in a conference room.

FUN FACT: Bama's were designed and made by Ferrari allegedly

@Coach Macho @gogeta4

are the kids really "wowed" by the facilities or are the visits all fairly even??? i mean how much fancier can one leather chair be over another in a conference room.

It’s hard to answer. Of course kids notice material things. But they also notice which schools are serious about football. And they tend to go together. UM tries to act serious with upgraded facilities. But it wasn’t serious. And kids noticed. Hence the strange negative correlation mentioned.

@Coach Macho @gogeta4

In 14+ years I never heard a single kid mention anything about facilities. All of the major universities have nice facilities. Some a little bit nicer than others, but it's never been a deciding factor. Definitely an overblown factor.

Biggest factors have been, and will always be, a winning culture and relationship with coaches. Sometimes I think you guys underestimate how important and impactful these recruiters are. Fans want to blame bags, facilities, nightlife, and all this other ****. At the end of the day, good recruiters pull in top athletes. (playing time is also a big factor)

Matter of fact, I would venture to say that most kids UNDER THINK the recruiting process. They get so intact with a certain recruiter or coaches, that they don't even think about how they fit into the team's scheme. I've had kids that signed with teams they shouldn't have just because they really liked the coaches. I had a LB/Safety hybrid kid who could have signed with Gary Patterson and TCU, but ignored them and signed with Nebraska because he liked their coaches better. Career suicide, he didn't fit into Nebraska's scheme at all! I had a CB who bypassed Texas A&M and Oklahoma to sign with Syracuse for similar reasons. Career suicide once again. Kid could have been a 3/4 year starter at CB in a passing conference.

Don't underestimate the impact that these college recruiters have on these kids decisions. Relationships matter. That bag **** exists but it is way overblown. Not every kid receives bag offers anyway, only the big-time kids who's families/handlers are sniffing around. And truth be told, not every kid goes with the bags anyway. There's been kids that have turned down bags to sign with the school that they really want.

RELATIONSHIPS!!!

In 14+ years I never heard a single kid mention anything about facilities. All of the major universities have nice facilities. Some a little bit nicer than others, but it's never been a deciding factor. Definitely an overblown factor.

Biggest factors have been, and will always be, a winning culture and relationship with coaches. Sometimes I think you guys underestimate how important and impactful these recruiters are. Fans want to blame bags, facilities, nightlife, and all this other ****. At the end of the day, good recruiters pull in top athletes. (playing time is also a big factor)

Matter of fact, I would venture to say that most kids UNDER THINK the recruiting process. They get so intact with a certain recruiter or coaches, that they don't even think about how they fit into the team's scheme. I've had kids that signed with teams they shouldn't have just because they really liked the coaches. I had a LB/Safety hybrid kid who could have signed with Gary Patterson and TCU, but ignored them and signed with Nebraska because he liked their coaches better. Career suicide, he didn't fit into Nebraska's scheme at all! I had a CB who bypassed Texas A&M and Oklahoma to sign with Syracuse for similar reasons. Career suicide once again. Kid could have been a 3/4 year starter at CB in a passing conference.

Don't underestimate the impact that these college recruiters have on these kids decisions. Relationships matter. That bag **** exists but it is way overblown. Not every kid receives bag offers anyway, only the big-time kids who's families/handlers are sniffing around. And truth be told, not every kid goes with the bags anyway. There's been kids that have turned down bags to sign with the school that they really want.

RELATIONSHIPS!!!
I knew you would bring da truth!

Advertisement

RELATIONSHIPS!!!
How can our Canes make better relationships with the kids and their HS coaches?

I suspect you can see the fake personaility types from a mile out. Key is being genuine to who you are??

Advertisement
@Silver King ....the offer was wayyyy to good to resist....(All same material...made by same Indian...all same type....found all in a 10' sq area back in 05 near Lake George in Putnam County/St Johns River...at a Friends dig site...Lol....he never invited me back....My 2 Sons literally have no desire for them....so off they went...with 2 more cases...View attachment 146432

uhhhhhh which side of lake george?

I have an air boat and im not even 17 miles from that place

It's not locked because it stopped being petty bickering.
All us poor folk can’t handle all the cash simpinorlando has so we backed off.

Who can compete with a $400k house and that sweet 18’ boat?

All us poor folk can’t handle all the cash simpinorlando has so we backed off.

Who can compete with a $400k house and that sweet 18’ boat?
You can't....house sold for $480,000....but what's $80,000?? when I made $60,000 in an hr this weekend....Now break times over....back to your shift at WaWa...

Advertisement
Advertisement
How can our Canes make better relationships with the kids and their HS coaches?

I suspect you can see the fake personaility types from a mile out. Key is being genuine to who you are??
Believe it or not, these young men can see through a lot of BS. If they feel like a coach is not genuine, they can smell it. I think Manny has done a good job of assembling a great recruiting staff. Prior to these new guys being here, the recruiting staff was embarrassing. (at least on defense) These new guys have "it". They have that energy.

Miami also hasn't done a good job of creating relationships OUTSIDE of high schools. There are a lot of local trainers and even high school football media guys who routinely talk to coaches around the country. The Crib Media gets phone calls from Brent Venables, Ohio State, etc...asking him about certain kids. Same thing with the "Sack Sensei", a local pass rush trainer that works with all of the top DL prospects down here. He gets phone calls from everybody as well.
You know who these guys never hear from? Miami. Even when THEY reach out to Miami, they're often left on read. That's no bueno. When Nik Bonitto was coming out of high school The Sack Sensei was trying to put Miami on, like yo this kid can play, and it fell on deaf ears.

There's no reason that coaches from OOS should have any information advantage over our local coaches here. Our coaches should already be sleeping in the pot while OOS are trying to eat.

Fortunately I don't think this will be a problem going forward.

Also an FYI, DVD deserves a lot of props. He's actually SAVED some relationships we've had with recruits.

Butch Davis would have stayed and wanted to stay at Miami.

He was not given the contract he deserved for the amazing rebuild that he did.

He was also being micromanaged by feminists and SJW types at every turn.

These people still run the football program at Miami. We will continue to suck because of this.

Enjoy continued mediocrity.
Didnt Butch Davis tell assistants and recruits that he will stay at Miami, only to jump the ship and go to the Cleveland Browns because *checks notes* 1.4 million dollars in 2000 wasnt good enough for him? Didnt he say he wasnt interested in joining the Cleveland Browns after beating Florida?

And could you give some examples for the feminists and SJW thing... cause SJWs didnt prevent Miami and Florida to fight with each other a day before a bowl game.

RELATIONSHIPS!!!
That goes into all aspects of life, whether private or job-related.

When you get along with people and know how to talk to people and how to communicate to people, you have a massive advantage.

Advertisement
Back