Thank you Butch Davis

I think most folks are looking at this wrong.

There are coaches who are perfect for a particular school. The schools excels with this matched coach.

Schnellenberger and UM were a match. Schnelly didn't do jack **** after he left UM. Dennis Erickson didn't do jack **** after he left UM.

Only JJ did - and Butch was JJ's right hand man - at UM in evaluating and recruiting - and was JJ's DCoordinator at Dallas - and won some Super Bowls before returning to UM and again - a perfect match. LIghtning in a bottle

One without the other - lost.

UNC has been doing alright with their Head Coach - sure been kicking our asses - but he wasn't a match to Texas.

Even the mighty Saban went to the NFL and fell flat on his ***. So did some other top names. Saban at Alabama - with every advantage - does less with more.

Schnellenberger did nothing after Miami? Maybe he didn’t have the success of a NC but he created two programs out of thin air at UL and FAU

Advertisement
Some really good points offered by y’all. Safe to say it’s a combination of factors, and that Butch being at the U was the perfect storm, AD and down - the total package. The chemistry was right. Then the the Butch factor fizzled out by him leaving. Compound that with the most non-involved HC at the U in Coker. The dismantling of the great dynasty was on.

Its not even remembering at this point, its beating the same dead horse all over again.

But thats just me, I guess.
It sucks man it's all we have is imagination left. Like if he would of stayed it would be difficult for Saban to rise cause he wouldn't be able to pick who he wants. It wouldn't have been so easy imo

Coker could just not recruit at key positions. Literally. As in he could not get quarterbacks to sign with Miami. Nor wide receivers. And I am not saying bad recruits. I mean no recruits. Losing recruits to Syracuse, for instance.

We had three available wide receivers by midpoint of the 2006 season, of the just six on roster. We had two quarterbacks, after Coker failed for two straight years to land a QB. In fact, he only signed two blue chip quarterbacks in his five years. How does that even happen?!

Kyle Wright was a Coker recruit and one of Miami's highest rated recruits ever.

Come on man.

Advertisement
All Butch had to do was continue to evaluate and develop inside the wall he built around SoFla while grabbing a few from outside.

The assumption that he would be able to do so with the proliferation of recruiting sites AND big money in college football is the exact problem with his potential sustained success.

Opting out seems to have had a negative affect in draft status....
Funny game football: if you played you understand it still has some of that old school combat mentality of the importance attached to being able to depend on guys.

It sucks man it's all we have is imagination left. Like if he would of stayed it would be difficult for Saban to rise cause he wouldn't be able to pick who he wants. It wouldn't have been so easy imo
Butch was turning kids into nfl studs who didn’t hit rookie walls.
Half Sabans guys are crippled btw they get to nfl.
Saban throws money at 5 stars. Butch found talent.

Advertisement
I just speak facts .....facts =ban I guess. And all your burner accounts liked your post.... imagine?

Burner account? Lmao.

Since you’re all about facts, what would you say about a coach who, at four different HC stops has never improved his record from year two or three?

Four jobs, four years in his system, four years of his coaching, four years of bringing in his players and he never increased his win totals. In three of his stops the totals plummeted.

What would you be saying about Manny if at the end of year four he was still sitting at 8 wins, or even worse, going backwards?

Last edited:
Kyle Wright was a Coker recruit and one of Miami's highest rated recruits ever.

Come on man.
Like I said, he signed two blue chip recruits in Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman.

How does a team that goes to two straight national championships have a blue chip recruiting haul that goes:

2002: None
2003: Kyle Wright
2004: Kirby Freeman
2005: None
2006: None

How does this happen? Or when it came to wide receivers, how is it possible his blue chip haul went:

2002: Ryan Moore
2003: Darnell Jenkins, Akeem Jolla
2004: Lance Leggett
2005: None
2006: Sam Shields

We signed more four star players in the last two cycles than Coker signed in five.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Chips..all about chips for me. In no way is Butch better than Saban..no modern coach could ever say that. The only coach we’ve had who could is Jimmy. That’s just a fact.
If chips matter then Erickson would be better than Jimmy.............correct?

Butch was turning kids into nfl studs who didn’t hit rookie walls.
Half Sabans guys are crippled btw they get to nfl.
Saban throws money at 5 stars. Butch found talent.
Still close to duplicating what we did.....his guys r good in the league now once u send a plethora of talented monsters they will deliver eventually

Advertisement
Back